Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What wood is the 2nd photo?
When I stopped he told me it was spruce and walnut which was fine by me for free delivered wood. There are just a few pieces of spruce and mostly walnut in the first pic. The second pic is a favorite firewood of mine. What is it @chipper1 ?

(It's black locust for the win... :numberone:)

Yes I thought it was black locus but i wasn't sure from the picture. My favorite too. About 10-15 years ago, a landowner had a tree company clear a section of their yard. All of it was Bk locust. Trees where only cut down and left laying. I responded to the CL ad and he asked me how much I wanted and I said all of it! So they took it all down. I don't remember how many loads I got out of there. A load or two a day for at least a week. I've still got some stashed away to mix in with other woods.

Yes I thought it was black locus but i wasn't sure from the picture. My favorite too. About 10-15 years ago, a landowner had a tree company clear a section of their yard. All of it was Bk locust. Trees where only cut down and left laying. I responded to the CL ad and he asked me how much I wanted and I said all of it! So they took it all down. I don't remember how many loads I got out of there. A load or two a day for at least a week. I've still got some stashed away to mix in with other woods.
Nice! I have an Armageddon stack I try to keep so this is a nice surprise to add to it. Plus I've been waiting to go to FIL's to get a couple straight logs to use as backup guidance by the barn door (OK, mostly to protect the barn door) and logs will look so much better than yellow concrete filled poles.

On the thermometer smarty pants LOL
:laughing:
I find my optimal operating temp to be narrower and narrower :yes:.
I really dislike the days over 90, but the AC helps lol.
Last yr we didn't have too many which was great, I'd say we usually get 5-10 in a normal yr, well already have had three days in the 90s if we get the temps they are predicting for this weekend :baba:.

When I stopped he told me it was spruce and walnut which was fine by me for free delivered wood. There are just a few pieces of spruce and mostly walnut in the first pic. The second pic is a favorite firewood of mine. What is it @chipper1 ?

(It's black locust for the win... :numberone:)
That is an awesome score my friend :clap:.
Meanwhile, somewhere east of you...someone was getting suckered into taking some larger hard maple rounds :oops:. They will get put to good use as I run a few saws in them to make some noodles which will be used for chicken bedding, hope they like them.
20200614_131234.jpg20200614_191426.jpg20200614_201741.jpg20200615_193507.jpg20200615_195351.jpg

:laughing:
I find my optimal operating temp to be narrower and narrower :yes:.
I really dislike the days over 90, but the AC helps lol.
Last yr we didn't have too many which was great, I'd say we usually get 5-10 in a normal yr, well already have had three days in the 90s if we get the temps they are predicting for this weekend :baba:.

We have something a lot of the country doesn’t, we can escape to the mountains for cooler temperatures. It’s 3 degrees per 1,000 feet, supposedly. We’ll go up somewhere between 5,000 and 10, 000 feet elevation. Those are the conditions many people are cutting firewood in.

We have something a lot of the country doesn’t, we can escape to the mountains for cooler temperatures. It’s 3 degrees per 1,000 feet, supposedly. We’ll go up somewhere between 5,000 and 10, 000 feet elevation. Those are the conditions many people are cutting firewood in.
That's nice.
Back in 2002 I was in LA and it was 68, then we went snowboarding in the mountains that night and it was 17 and snowing like mad, only a few hrs between them.
I like that option.

Load 1 of locust on the trusty old wheelbarrow to the Armageddon stack... probably at least 60 more to go. I figure there was probably a cord on the truck and a cord for each trailer load. I'll try to keep picking away at the pile of logs this week during the shaded and cooler periods.
View attachment 836401

Your wheelbarrow must be even faster now, it's just a blur!

Your wheelbarrow must be even faster now, it's just a blur!
Oh yeah, I run nothing but *premium* BLO in it now!

It was getting quite late and the low light conditions force you to have a steady hand for just a little bit longer to take pics - not my specialty. I knew I should have retaken the photo for you! :picture: Is this better? Load 2.
20200617_062959.jpg

Meanwhile, somewhere east of you...someone was getting suckered into taking some larger hard maple rounds.
East of me? That sure puts someone a long ways from home. I wish I could get that same sucker to take down the similar looking cherry I have near my barn.

Were the kids happy to get their hula hoop back?
20200617_064217.png

Power company removed two Locust and a Poplar that was too close to the lines. They left me the wood and took the brush. That finished out my wood pile for 2021, I think.
7bf5f79ff13755742bb3e122e83b09b8.jpg

2c293279b04718da274e09d2aea76842.jpg

Sycamore here went to the fire pit.
e4d6c57b14dcde0b4520427b8da4f4ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back