Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You ARE White spider, and I claim my $5
Who's whitespider? I guess I missed that debate..... for the record, I had 34x10.50 biased super swampers on the trooper. I got them used but almost new. Had them for years. Not saying I havent had great radials, but if another set of biased came by for a good price I'd grab them.

Who's whitespider? I guess I missed that debate..... for the record, I had 34x10.50 biased super swampers on the trooper. I got them used but almost new. Had them for years. Not saying I havent had great radials, but if another set of biased came by for a good price I'd grab them.
What's your thoughts on moisture meters? Magic?

I’m looking at brown grass and leaves in my front yard with about 2-3 inches of snow out in the woods. Unseasonably dry here fit us but the next few nights will be cool to start building ice which will be good.

No ice here yet, but the water temps are there and a couple nights in the single digits would mean go time. No green grass here, got hit with several inches of wet, heavy stuff today and more on it's way.

What's your thoughts on moisture meters? Magic?
Why would they be magic? Voltage is sent through one prong to the other, depending on moisture level the resistance varies, giving you the moisture content. I assure you I'm not they guy you think I am.
Any way,
Got a small load of logs today
16078110691526327241629847360997.jpg
Blew a tire out backing into the driveway. Got thing it way here at the house. Gotta get the spare mounted up.

Oak scrounge.
PXL_20201211_145058840.jpg

This tree got dropped in my neighbour's garden. Long story short, they didn't want me to have the wood....but the tree service did....so thy let me know that they would be carrying the rings out to the pavement (sidewalk)and pilling it there and would then use the grab on the truck you can see to lift it in....and they told me once it was on the pavement it was fine if I grabbed it. Since the rings were 2'6" plus, even at the fairly thin slices they were making, I did fancy risking a ruptured disc or hernia....so I grabbed the x27 and stood there quartering the rounds as the guys brought them to me, then used a trolley another neighbour loaned me to shift them the 15 feet up th street and fling them into my garden...while my neighbours watched. :happy::happy:

Probably a bit over half a cord. That's almost 2 cord of oak from my two immediate neighbours, in the last 6 weeks.

Why would they be magic? Voltage is sent through one prong to the other, depending on moisture level the resistance varies, giving you the moisture content. I assure you I'm not they guy you think I am.
Any way,
Got a small load of logs today
View attachment 873588
Blew a tire out backing into the driveway. Got thing it way here at the house. Gotta get the spare mounted up.
Neil is just joking about another topic spidey was known to rant about - bias ply tires, moisture meters, EPA stoves, breathing when you fight... and many, many others. Like I said, he's somewhat opinionated. I'm sure Neil does not believe you are the same person. But it's a good chuckle for some of the oldtimers around here.

Indeed. Please don't take offence, you aren't the butt of the joke in anyway. The guys that have been here long enough know that Spidey was an interesting guy.

'it's magic I tell ya!' was a phrase he used a lot as he felt meters were a waste of time and money. He was a smart guy, just enjoyed trolling other forumites.

I've owned a couple 4x4's with bias plus tires. I had an '80 k5 blazer with Q size (35") buckshot mudders. Great off road tires but road manners goes to radials and the road is where I do 95% of my driving. If I had an older 4x4, like 35 years or older, I'd put buckshots on it just for the period look and feel. The one truck I wish I still had was my '74 Bronco.....
Jeez who'd have thought a joking comment about bias tires would bring back so many memories

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Why would you put bias-ply tires on a vehicle?

Some do it because they’re cheaper. The tires on my truck are 41 14.50 17, many off roaders are amazed I pay for radials for tires that big.

Others buy bias because they think they grab better.

Back