Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used some of last weeks scrounge from my buddy seasoned hedge apple and black locust. I crammed that stove full of 3 inch diameter pieces i hope it doesn't burn a hole in my firebox
:laugh:
I just found a few hedge across the street from the feed store, not sure if it's there property or not. I only know of 3 spots with around 10 trees each within 20min of here, I've never burnt it, at least not knowingly lol.
Was the firebox alright . between the two and small pieces I'm sure it was blazing hot.
does XP mean Xtra Potatoes?
Depends if you're talking about saws or what the wife wants picked up from the store ;).
Xtra parts. Mainly screws.
:crazy2:
Don't make me post stihl muffler pictures
spring av saws just don't tickle my fancy like a good rubber mount saw.
Better keep those filters clean then .
Not much not to like about them. The weight of a 60 cc saw, power rated the same as 77 cc saws (and they exceed that amount on the dyno), (plus they get a good deal stronger with breakin), instant throttle response, spring AV, clean air filter tech and M Tronic! Just don't flood it, and you'll be fine!

The only knock on it is that it may not balance long bars as well as some heavier powerheads of the same displacement/power. So, I recommend putting a light bar on it. Mine have 20" and 24" bars on them and they are my "go to" saws. Mine are also both ported, so they are little beasts!
When the 361 came on the scene stihl had something great, then the 241 was another great saw, then the 462 blew it out of the park. I talk a lot of crap, but how's someone gonna argue with a 70cc saw that's that light, it's a fun saw for sure(just don't tell any of my husky friends I said that lol). The 440 was a strong 20/24" saw and the 460/461 is a torquey 24/28 saw, but I'd rather have the spring av myself. The filters get so dirty on those stihls it amazes me how long they last, the 460/461 is especially durable, I hope the 462's are just as long lasting. Funny you say that about not flooding them, I believe that is one of the biggest problems guys had with the autotune saws when they came out; you can easily miss the pop if you're not paying very close attention, many times you hear nothing, but you can feel the cord pull out of the saw a bit easier.

Got a bunch of the mess cleaned up by the root balls, when they went down they smashed a pile of 4x8x2" insulation along with a window sash(with the glass in it :rare2:), they are now mostly 2'x8':sucks:. I brought out my ported 2166 with an 18" to cut the stem off the top of the insulation, I wanted something I wasn't going to pinch up and that was nice and rigid, it worked great. Then I remembered my 365 special was under the tarp by the bonfire pit :oops:. I ran a tank thru the 365, she's a great runner with a muffler mod, slight timing advance, and a base gasket delete, pullet the 24 nice for 65cc:chainsaw:.
Not sure what I'll run in it tomorrow, it's nice getting some saw time though.
Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 6.23.52 PM.png

The "blade" is a little short for this log, unless you go over top a little first, I like to cut them like I'm cutting cookies lol.
Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 6.24.20 PM.png
The insulation was frozen to the bark, what a mess. Hopefully next week when it's warmer it will thaw out so I can clean it all up, if not the good thing is the bark will all fall off when the wood is ready, I just don't want to buck it up and have a million pieces of insulation everywhere including on me :crazy2:.

Oh, does anyone know what kind of wood all this is:innocent:.
Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 6.24.57 PM.png

Bark looks like sasafras... you should probably send that weed east to me on one of your new shiny trailers the next time you have a Craigslist score over here. :laughing:
It does kinda, but you know its not when you cut it, split it, or burn it. And the splinters it gives you are a real sign its not sas ;).
You should bring your wheelbarrow up and get some, I have some thats dead standing, we can cut it and you can burn it the next day :happy:.
Firewood?

Philbert
No question about that, unless it isn't stress cracked bad from the storm, if it isn't it would make some nice rot resistant boards or posts.

No scrounging as its to hot and to many critters that like to bite you but I did get a new ute you good ole folks from the U S of A might like.
Got a 1990 F150 5.8l to replace my 1997 Holden VS ute. Its Aussie made about the last of them so you know there is a screw loose somewhere.Image.jpegImage.jpegImage.jpegImage.jpeg

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
I just found a few hedge across the street from the feed store, not sure if it's there property or not. I only know of 3 spots with around 10 trees each within 20min of here, I've never burnt it, at least not knowingly lol.
Was the firebox alright . between the two and small pieces I'm sure it was blazing hot.

Depends if you're talking about saws or what the wife wants picked up from the store ;).

Don't make me post stihl muffler pictures

Better keep those filters clean then .

When the 361 came on the scene stihl had something great, then the 241 was another great saw, then the 462 blew it out of the park. I talk a lot of crap, but how's someone gonna argue with a 70cc saw that's that light, it's a fun saw for sure(just don't tell any of my husky friends I said that lol). The 440 was a strong 20/24" saw and the 460/461 is a torquey 24/28 saw, but I'd rather have the spring av myself. The filters get so dirty on those stihls it amazes me how long they last, the 460/461 is especially durable, I hope the 462's are just as long lasting. Funny you say that about not flooding them, I believe that is one of the biggest problems guys had with the autotune saws when they came out; you can easily miss the pop if you're not paying very close attention, many times you hear nothing, but you can feel the cord pull out of the saw a bit easier.

Got a bunch of the mess cleaned up by the root balls, when they went down they smashed a pile of 4x8x2" insulation along with a window sash(with the glass in it :rare2:), they are now mostly 2'x8':sucks:. I brought out my ported 2166 with an 18" to cut the stem off the top of the insulation, I wanted something I wasn't going to pinch up and that was nice and rigid, it worked great. Then I remembered my 365 special was under the tarp by the bonfire pit :oops:. I ran a tank thru the 365, she's a great runner with a muffler mod, slight timing advance, and a base gasket delete, pullet the 24 nice for 65cc:chainsaw:.
Not sure what I'll run in it tomorrow, it's nice getting some saw time though.
View attachment 875675

The "blade" is a little short for this log, unless you go over top a little first, I like to cut them like I'm cutting cookies lol.
View attachment 875676
The insulation was frozen to the bark, what a mess. Hopefully next week when it's warmer it will thaw out so I can clean it all up, if not the good thing is the bark will all fall off when the wood is ready, I just don't want to buck it up and have a million pieces of insulation everywhere including on me :crazy2:.

Oh, does anyone know what kind of wood all this is:innocent:.
View attachment 875681
my favorite old husky is a 181 but i never can find one for sale second is a 394.

Dont think your place is to far from me . Loggers work all year round around me
Two things, the whole mtn is recreational land owners (not zoned for year round), and a lot of steep slopes, so I think they mostly do it in the winter (after hunting season).

No people to deal with, and less damage to the slopes.

It would be a real PITA going up or down with a truck when someone else is going the other way!

Got some time this weekend to be productive in the woods. Decided to work on the new trail some more. This trail is kinda a “this is my property” trial as i had some problems with my south side neighbors.....even though the property line stakes put in by the surveyor like 4 years ago are CLEARLY visible. Well i made them more visible by painting a 7foot T post red white and blue and driving it it the ground like 4 feet at the corners[emoji23][emoji23].

The trail is going to be on my side of the line (obviously) and big enough to get my 3500 ram through. [emoji16][emoji16].

Pictures later of the Kubota 1120D doing work skidding trees.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Back