Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you've gotten your moneys worth out of that ole girl, and she's still going :rock:.
Bought it out of a dealers junk pile 2 months ago he said it was toast and feels rough turning over but he failed to take it apart. Apparently it sat for a few decades there was mud dauber nests everywhere inside of it in the flywheel, starter, cylinder, muffler, birdcage, exhaust port and cylinder as well!!!!

I tore it down and cleaned it all out replaced the fuel line, impulse line, filters, rebuilt the carb and replaced two av mounts and it ran perfect.
later on i replaced the bar, chain, sprocket, and bearing to get it up to snuff and man it performs well now and the oil pump puts out a impressive amount of oil for a non adjustable pump.

Brett if you can find one i recommend holding on to it because from what i know a 026 top end will work on the super but not the regular 024 and these saws ported by the right guy can lead to impressive results.

here is a ported 024 super pulling a 20'' 3/8 set up.

Bought it out of a dealers junk pile 2 months ago he said it was toast and feels rough turning over but he failed to take it apart. Apparently it sat for a few decades there was mud dauber nests everywhere inside of it in the flywheel, starter, cylinder, muffler, birdcage, exhaust port and cylinder as well!!!!

I tore it down and cleaned it all out replaced the fuel line, impulse line, filters, rebuilt the carb and replaced two av mounts and it ran perfect.
later on i replaced the bar, chain, sprocket, and bearing to get it up to snuff and man it performs well now and the oil pump puts out a impressive amount of oil for a non adjustable pump.

Brett if you can find one i recommend holding on to it because from what i know a 026 top end will work on the super but not the regular 024 and these saws ported by the right guy can lead to impressive results.

here is a ported 024 super pulling a 20'' 3/8 set up.

Sounds like its worked out great for you.
I've ran the 026 both stock and ported, ported they run nice, stock is rather have a 241. The reason I had the 026's and the 024 is because I wanted to have doc port one for me, I wouldn't advise anyone deal with Jim, and I certainly wouldn't myself(thats who's video that is). I set a buddy of mine up with a very sweet 026 and he sent it to doc/Al, it pulled a 20x3/8 very nice. That being said I prefer the husky offerings more, to me handling is most important in the 50cc class since you do so much limbing with them, if take a 346 over an 024/026 any day of the week. But I like my ported 261, great saw, run it with a 20x3/8. The 261 has a better top handlebar angle, nice spring AV, good filtration, return to run master switch, captive nuts, and it gets good fuel economy. For the most part I prefer saws like the 346 huskys and the 261 or newer saws myself.

Scrounged up a Christmas tree off the property this weekend for the 2nd year in a row. Have several more nice ones but may need a few more years to grow since they are only 6-7'. This one is between 10-11'. I've planted at least 150 seedlings and transplants over the past few years with this in mind - some are for long term screen and some didn't make it. Should still have enough to choose from and getting more to plant in the spring.
View attachment 876376
The Mini-Mac 6 got the call to cut it down. It actually looks pretty decent after I cleaned it up just a bit since I pulled it out a few weeks ago after a decade (or more) of storage.
View attachment 876377

Propagate the evergreens!!

That would be cool. I want to try it. You could get more than you ever want off of the trees you already have. And you could have hundreds (or way more) of clones from just one mother tree easy.

They would be rooted and ready by spring

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

They would be rooted and ready by spring
Ha! Way less effort to order 3-4 year old transplants from the county conservation district for $1/each. I just have to be careful how close I plant them to the highly valuable black walnut trees I already have. I do love the evergreens!

Like I always tell my wife, you have to be on a 20 year plan when you plant trees.

Ha! Way less effort to order 3-4 year old transplants from the county conservation district for $1/each. I just have to be careful how close I plant them to the highly valuable black walnut trees I already have. I do love the evergreens!

Like I always tell my wife, you have to be on a 20 year plan when you plant trees.
I did the same when I built my house. Don't buy White Pine! They don't last that long and now I'm having to cut down and dispose of the dead ones. Should have planted more Douglas Firs.

Doc Al builds a mean 026, I have one. With the high compression, I wish it had a decomp (I like limbing saws that are easy to re start).

However, the ported 261 is a stronger saw.

But, Doc's ported 360 … now that is a saw that is hard to beat for it's size! The 026 is fast, but that 360 is a little animal!

I did the same when I built my house. Don't buy White Pine! They don't last that long and now I'm having to cut down and dispose of the dead ones. Should have planted more Douglas Firs.
White pine should be good for 100 years plus. Did you get some sort of nursery trees?

Good thing congress passed the covid relief bill, there's $2 million in there to research the impact of downed trees :oops:.
I think they're gonna try to take our scrounging rights away:crazy2:.
2:07

Got a couple more buckets loaded and another 1 or 2 waiting to be picked up. I also got a 12'6" log that I was able to get out of the one tree that doesn't seem to be stress cracked too bad.
Locust :sweet:.
Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.50.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.51.33 PM.png

Well, hoping to head to town to scrounge up some last minute Christmas gifts this morning. Snow was supposedly coming all night but it has just started to come now. We were supposed to get 5-9 inches with drifting but as usual the weather people over promised.

I’m seasoning cast iron in the oven this morning (collecting cast iron cookware is my other hobby besides saws) and I don’t season when the wife is around because she hates the smell. Then I’ll throw some venison in the Dutch oven and dinner will be ready when I get home from shopping.

Here are a couple that just came out of the oven. Two “grill skillets” aka modern skillets with handles removed for use on the grill. The small skillet and Dutch oven lid came from Zogger. I have three more pieces from him that are in the process of being restored as well. One of them is a beautiful #8 Lodge with “swirls” on the cooking surface which is more or less my most pristine piece of vintage iron.
4F661AD7-2866-486E-BB65-1971DC8E1ACB.jpeg

Latest posts

Back