Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it's pretty east to work with other than the poison ivy on a lot of it:crazy2:.
We have a couple(literally) hickory on our property, but I don't often get it. About 6yrs ago my BIL had 26 full cord of hickory in his basement, he said you could heard the beetles munching on it when he was down there filling the stove:laughing: .
About the only things i got handy is the official state weeds of kentucky which is water or sugar maple and the dreaded hackberry. But the nice thing about these two species is cut, split, and stack it and 7-8 months of seasoning and it is ready

Those are nice saws for an older saw. The guys who know saw say the 281 is just as fast as the 288 until you get a 32 on and the 281 is easier to find that's not been beat to death.
I had a 288 one time, first 2 series saw I owned, I'd rather have a 390xp.
You just gotta start looking hard, you'll find one, 394/5's are easy to get, but I'd rather run a 660/661 with a side tensioner. Did you see that coming Steve :).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f36YJsiB1NoKeXt8A

View attachment 876221
I run stihl these day since dealer support went away years ago on the husky saws.
My vintage 024 woodboss av super made in west germany.
20201128_143656.jpg

Facebook sucks. If there was a better option I’d be on it immediately. Until then I’ll deal with them. Facebook has been good for my hobbies and good for my business so I consider it a necessary evil until a suitable replacement comes out. And it keeps me in touch with people that I otherwise would have trouble keeping in touch with.

Make no mistake, their political BS is beyond inexcusable. But their time will come...

Facebook sucks. If there was a better option I’d be on it immediately. Until then I’ll deal with them. Facebook has been good for my hobbies and good for my business so I consider it a necessary evil until a suitable replacement comes out. And it keeps me in touch with people that I otherwise would have trouble keeping in touch with.

Make no mistake, their political BS is beyond inexcusable. But their time will come...
I use MEWE no political BS or censorship and it is FUN!

Red Maple and Silver Maple dry fast, but I have never had Sugar Maple dry real fast.
About 9 months here and sugar is good to go. But you can tell the difference when you cut it. If it's full of sap you better not let it sit long before splitting it. It's my favorite wood I have around me. Oak is a distant second for the way I burn.

I run stihl these day since dealer support went away years ago on the husky saws.
My vintage 024 woodboss av super made in west germany.
View attachment 876406
Sweet, that's an early model there. Aren't they all made in west Germany?
I saw this one earlier this week, look pretty good, not sure what's up with the filter cover. It's a double nutter lol.
Lots of 2-smoke stuff in the back of that truck.
Pretty sure I sold this guy a saw quite a while ago, an ms 460.
Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 9.37.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-21 at 9.37.28 PM.png

I saw this one earlier this week, look pretty good, not sure what's up with the filter cover. It's a double nutter lol.
View attachment 876410View attachment 876411
That's an 026 filter cover.

Mine says west germany and has the single bar nut and it doesn't have the side tensioner between the bar stud.

That 024 ^^ has the wrong air cleaner cover.
Wish mine was that clean but it runs great i did remove the bird cage inside the muffler and opened the exit hole a smidge and it helped it a lot.
Here is the clutch side on mine.20201128_143724.jpg

Agree, get landowner's permission even if you are cleaning up along the roadsides. The land owner still owns out to the middle of the road.
There was an ash tree tree the township cut that was interfering with power lines. Drove by 3-4 days straight off a main road and it never moved. Loaded up a large portion of it and was just about finished when Johnny Law pulled up behind me with the lights swirling. He ended up knocking on homeowners door and I got the green light to take it. Officer explained to me had the homeowner not agreed, it could have been cited as trespassing and theft.

That being said, I now knock on EVERY house I come by with a potential scrounge outside.

There was an ash tree tree the township cut that was interfering with power lines. Drove by 3-4 days straight off a main road and it never moved. Loaded up a large portion of it and was just about finished when Johnny Law pulled up behind me with the lights swirling. He ended up knocking on homeowners door and I got the green light to take it. Officer explained to me had the homeowner not agreed, it could have been cited as trespassing and theft.

That being said, I now knock on EVERY house I come by with a potential scrounge outside.
That dude aint been here for 4.5yrs Ryan :oops:.
That being said I agree.

That's an 026 filter cover.
That's what I was figuring, I know many of the 026 parts will swap out(I've had a few of the 026/024, don't tell anyone though :innocent:).
The 024 has that odd flat top on the cylinder, it looks way different than the 026 cylinder, even to a husky guy lol. I also noticed that this one is a red lever, everyone knows their faster ;).
That 024 ^^ has the wrong air cleaner cover.
Wish mine was that clean but it runs great i did remove the bird cage inside the muffler and opened the exit hole a smidge and it helped it a lot.
Here is the clutch side on mine.View attachment 876419
He has a listing for another saw on CL, and theres an oh26 in the back of his truck too.
Yep, the single nutter, I had one of those that was a nice looker, I thing I sold it last summer. It needed the carb redone, I was looking forward to running it as I have never ran an 024.
Looks like you've gotten your moneys worth out of that ole girl, and she's still going :rock:.

That's what I was figuring, I know many of the 026 parts will swap out(I've had a few of the 026/024, don't tell anyone though :innocent:).
The 024 has that odd flat top on the cylinder, it looks way different than the 026 cylinder, even to a husky guy lol. I also noticed that this one is a red lever, everyone knows their faster ;).

He has a listing for another saw on CL, and theres an oh26 in the back of his truck too.
Yep, the single nutter, I had one of those that was a nice looker, I thing I sold it last summer. It needed the carb redone, I was looking forward to running it as I have never ran an 024.
Looks like you've gotten your moneys worth out of that ole girl, and she's still going :rock:.
the 024 wb and super share the same size top end but the super has a slightly longer stroke 32mm vs 30 mm the best way it reminds me of a jonsered 450 power wise.
024-----------------024 Super--------------026
CC 42--------------------44.3-----------------------48.7
BORE 42 mm-------------42 mm-------------------44 mm
STROKE 30 mm------------32 mm-------------------32 mm
HP 2.85----------------------3.1-------------------------------3.5

Latest posts

Back