Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lee192233

Lee192233

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
G'day scroungers,

Went back out to the farm to scrounge some more blue gum rounds for the bonfire. It's a good feeling when you rock up and remember that you've already done half the work.

View attachment 902932

So I loaded that in the trailer first then got started with the 460 again.

View attachment 902933

Loaded up the ute

View attachment 902934

Gratuitous trailer pic. I was comfortably overloaded, I'm glad I didn't get pulled over on the way home.

View attachment 902935

Then I emptied the tank of the 460 on the rest of this log. There's stihl about 30 metres left of this tree to go in the next couple of logs, it must have been pretty tall.

View attachment 902936

:)
That's going to be a helluva bonfire! It seems like you've been scrounging wood for a month for that fire.
Happy scrounging.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
The cutting heads are interesting. Some 404 harvester and others have that huge rotating head with teeth. The rotating head takes less ongoing maintenance but if it hit a rock you are looking at 3-4 figures to replace teeth. The harvester bar needs sharpening a few times a day but even if you wreck the bar and chain you aren't out much.
I never realized they were that expensive, or that easy to damage. It makes sense though, I was cutting over concrete a good bit yesterday with a freshly sharpened chain, it's good to know your equipment ;).

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
Being the black locust snob you are, you can probably afford not to make any of it firewood. Poplar sure does go punky fast. If it was on my property at least some of it would have made it to the stacks, but getting paid just to take them down I could see where it wouldn't be worth it.
It's all staying where it's laying :yes:. I cut it so it was flat on the ground as much as possible after cutting the butts into 16" rounds in case they want to make it into bonfire wood as that's all it's good for unless you were real desperate. They busted up when they hit the ground and the one over the road the top broke out of and came back at me when I made the second cut after cutting it away from the root ball:crazy2: .
On the way home from there yesterday she let me know they wanted to add the cherry that the one was leaning into to the takedown list. The bottom 12' has quite a few issues, it was pruned as they have a nice bonfire pit in the middle of the circle there, you can see where the damage started and how it opened up all the way to the ground. Cherry trees compartmentalize(heal over a cut) quite well normally, but for some reason this one didn't, what's odd is they have a few other trees on the property that look the same. I'll be taking down an ash that looks to have the slightest bit of life in it yet that tried to heal after another large tree was cut for a view of the river fell into it, at least that one it's obvious what happened.
Rabbit trail :rolleyes:. So I think I will offer to take the larger cherry rounds above the damaged area to the house tonight. They already have more wood at the bonfire pit than they will use in the next 2-3yrs and I have a red oak they are debating on that I would cut to 16" for them if they decide to remove it(I hope they don't, but it will pay well if they do), that would make nice bonfire wood for them.
Pictures later :).

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
G'day scroungers,

Went back out to the farm to scrounge some more blue gum rounds for the bonfire. It's a good feeling when you rock up and remember that you've already done half the work.

View attachment 902932

So I loaded that in the trailer first then got started with the 460 again.

View attachment 902933

Loaded up the ute

View attachment 902934

Gratuitous trailer pic. I was comfortably overloaded, I'm glad I didn't get pulled over on the way home.

View attachment 902935

Then I emptied the tank of the 460 on the rest of this log. There's stihl about 30 metres left of this tree to go in the next couple of logs, it must have been pretty tall.

View attachment 902936
That's a lot of of HVBG!
What chains do you use.
That little danger ranger doesn't seem to mind the load at all.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
No scrounging today, but my logging buddy stopped by, has a load for me tomorrow. Running to get the dump trailer after work, grab the kids and go fill it up. Don't need a saw, and sounds like he may have his truck to load me. Little short notice, but I'll take what I can get. He said he thought there was some chestnut in the mix, hate to cut that up for fire wood, but I'm not gonna tell him no to it either.
That's great, hard not to like that, or to refuse it.
Another hobby I took up :laugh:.
I loaded the front two rows before the kids got home yesterday(after the tree job), then the kids helped with the other 7 rows, I don't think we were out there an hr total once the trailer was in place. Unfortunately I had to take the tractor off the trailer to put it there, and I had to figure out the rear door and the cover which took a few minutes each, then I had to reload the tractor to use today. Fortunately I have the tractors :clap:, there is much I do now I either couldn't do or it would be much more laborious and take a lot longer to do, I'm very grateful for them.
Sure would be nice to have a dump trailer, but I can't have it all.
Hard maple, red and white oak, very little ash, elm, HVBL, cherry, pretty nice mix of hardwood.
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 5.42.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-23 at 9.50.37 AM.png

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
That's great, hard not to like that, or to refuse it.
Another hobby I took up :laugh:.
I loaded the front two rows before the kids got home yesterday(after the tree job), then the kids helped with the other 7 rows, I don't think we were out there an hr total once the trailer was in place. Unfortunately I had to take the tractor off the trailer to put it there, and I had to figure out the rear door and the cover which took a few minutes each, then I had to reload the tractor to use today. Fortunately I have the tractors :clap:, there is much I do now I either couldn't do or it would be much more laborious and take a lot longer to do, I'm very grateful for them.
Sure would be nice to have a dump trailer, but I can't have it all.
Hard maple, red and white oak, very little ash, elm, HVBL, cherry, pretty nice mix of hardwood.
View attachment 902976View attachment 902977
I did get some guff from my uncle when I called to see if I could have the trailer last evening. He claims he was taking scrap in today, but he's been saying that since we bought it. Told him he could have it back tonight if I got done early enough today. I do have to be at work at 5am tomorrow so I'll not be staying up late. Kinda got the countdown till its time to go.

mountainguyed67
I'm glad I didn't get pulled over on the way home.

I haven’t heard of a load like that getting that type of attention here. If hauling out of the National Forest a Forest Service Law Enforcement Officer might pull you over to check your woodcutting permit, but I’ve never had them focus on weight. And yes, myself and others bring out very heavy loads.

turnkey4099
Sorry to hear. How much time did you have on the 362?
I tried to answer yesterday but the site is screwing up, It didn't post. I have lots of hours on the saw but don't know how many. I don't even recall when I bout it but it was many years ago and has been my main saw. Been eatting 10-12 cord/yr, seomtimes more.

I tried the MS191 today. Not impressed. With a 16" bar, fresh chain cuttin 14" willow logs, it was way slower than the 362, termperamental on starting, hardly any power. I doubl it would pull a 20" bar. I keep telling myself that it isn't broken in yet but...

I'm taking the 362 to John's Saw Shop in Lewistonk, Id tomorrow to get a second opinion and if it needs it, leave it there to be fixed.

Cowboy254

Cowboy254

Compulsive scrounger
. AS Supporting Member.
That's going to be a helluva bonfire! It seems like you've been scrounging wood for a month for that fire.
Happy scrounging.

Thanks! Very time consuming but it's a labour of love I suppose. Other people would help if I asked but it has almost become a matter of pride to do it all myself. Also, I can use the exercise. Here's the current state of play (the kayaks are not going on the bonfire nor the defunct cubby house and slide!). There's a few cubes of peppermint logs near left, 3-4 cubes of blue gum rounds and halves near right, a cube of poles next to the slide on the left, then a couple of cubes of rounds and junk wood by the swing set, 3 cubes of leaves/bark/sticks just behind that and another couple of cubes of poles behind that. I reckon I'll get another couple of cubes of blue gum rounds and another couple of cubes of poles, then some long tops with leaves stihl on and we'll be set.

24th Apr 1.jpg

That's a lot of of HVBG!
What chains do you use.
That little danger ranger doesn't seem to mind the load at all.

I currently have stihl full chisel on the 460 and semi chisel on the 661 (Why? Because they didn't have a 25in loop of full chisel when I needed a new chain for Limby and there was no-one there competent enough to make one up). Either is fine in green blue gum but you can't use full chisel or carbide in dry blue gum as it hardens remarkably as it dries. I broke a whole lot of cutters off a carbide chain once in dry blue gum and put backward facing burrs on every cutter in full chisel.

The 460 has been grabby as hell. I thought I must have taken the rakers down to low but when I had a closer look I realised that I had knocked a couple of cutters out of plumb sideways at some point so I'll be straightening them up again.

I haven’t heard of a load like that getting that type of attention here. If hauling out of the National Forest a Forest Service Law Enforcement Officer might pull you over to check your woodcutting permit, but I’ve never had them focus on weight. And yes, myself and others bring out very heavy loads.

It's not the local cops but the highway patrol that you have to look out for and they can turn up anywhere. The ranger is rated to tow only 750kgs unbraked (3500kgs braked) and I would have had nearly double that in the trailer. Green blue gum is up to 1200kg/cubic metre. I would have got fined for sure.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
Well no scrounged cherry for me today. Sure sucks getting paid to cut it up and not getting to take any home lol. He said they are going to get their wood stove looked at soon and hope to burn the wood 22/23 season.
20210423_145319.jpg20210423_145357.jpg20210423_180444.jpg
Didn't even trash my chain flush cutting the stump :clap: . I did not a rock that I don't know how, it has marks on it that are obviously from a chain, only chain that has a couple marred cutters is on the 372. My phone was charging when I was cleaning up and found the rock, I'll try to remember next time I'm there to get a picture. Just noticed you can see it sitting on the rocks around the fire pit area, not sure if you can see the marks on it though as I'm on my phone.
20210423_175840.jpg

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
Got to try out the new dump. Happy days! Didn't even have to run a saw, my logging buddy did the cutting. I'll tell you what, his 572xp is a very impressive saw. Thing rips way better then any of his old 372xpx's. Got some chestnut in this load. Felt bad cutting it up for fire wood. Beautiful wood. Heavy as sin.
20210423_195723.jpg

Trailer pulled like a dream, truck did great, till I hit the big hill coming home. Pretty sure I have a cracked flex plate. Started banging and clanging at my feet when it hit 3rd gear and converter locked up. Have to look at it with the scope this weekend. Always something.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
Got to try out the new dump. Happy days! Didn't even have to run a saw, my logging buddy did the cutting. I'll tell you what, his 572xp is a very impressive saw. Thing rips way better then any of his old 372xpx's. Got some chestnut in this load. Felt bad cutting it up for fire wood. Beautiful wood. Heavy as sin.
View attachment 903089

Trailer pulled like a dream, truck did great, till I hit the big hill coming home. Pretty sure I have a cracked flex plate. Started banging and clanging at my feet when it hit 3rd gear and converter locked up. Have to look at it with the scope this weekend. Always something.
Nice load.
Bummer about the truck.
I just realized my parking brake is doing nothing on my excursion, I need to look into that, I don't want to damage the axle/driveshaft/trans with all the loading/unloading of the tractors and whatnot.

Lionsfan

Lionsfan

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
He may not have realized he was bidding "per piece".
I saw a guy bit for traps once. He thought he was getting a dozen traps for $12. or something, but it was per trap.
When the auctioneer said "sold, $12. each." the guy back peddled.
Auctioneer asked the crowd, did any one else not understand? Silence.
No rebidding...sold, $12. per piece. Next...
It’s all on line bidding, so no person standing across from you to build up bidding fever? I figured he wanted one stack and bid on both to make sure he got one. When I looked last, it was at $4. My buddy and I were saying that there would be one idiot that would come in to pay and pick up, and say, “I only want ten”. It’s a poor way to sell it. It was steel banded, just sell the stack, one money, no confusion. I know the auctioneer, he’s a real good guy. If the buyer didn’t understand, he may have taken one pile back. last year I bought a John Deere X500 from him for $3700. I was looking through the catalogue and he had two X500’s listed. one Of the helpers taking the pics saw a number on the hood and entered it under that number, the other took the number off a hang tag on the key. It got entered under both numbers. I pointed it out to him. He corrected it. Things happen. People don’t pay attention.