Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new to me Wood hauler/ work truck. The body is rough but the running gear seems to be solid. 4x4 3500 with 6speed manual.
Trying to catch up on the scrounge thread, been way behind due to life. Good to see you guys bringing in the wood.
Nice! Really wanted a Cummins but diesel trucks are so damn expensive even when they're over 15 years old. A manual truck is pretty badass too, don't even think they make manual pickups now do they? Maybe just Toyota. I have a firewood truck but it doesn't have seats in it at the moment lol

Call it what you want, it wasn’t the best idea.

The 55 was an almost indestructible saw but many met an early death due to a couple small failures on the intake and impulse.
I think much of the problem with them is the same issue husky had with the plastic intake clamp/partition. When you run them with a dull chain/hot, there are issues, keep the chain sharp, no problems.
I think that it's smart for manufactures to do a little more though knowing that many customers will burn them up that way, that being said they are the same customers that would burn them up anyway lol.

Winter started back up again, so I'm back to burning. Right from the truck to the wood burner with this load. Guess I need to up my post count with @chipper1 questionable assertion that he's posted more scrounging posts than anyone. :yes: More total posts, probably. More links, definitely.
20210421_162613.jpg

The truck had a hard life?
Then I bought it and beat the death out of it. Was running through the gravel pits one time and all of a sudden the truck stopped, dropped, and thankfully didn't roll. A giant earth mover got stuck and made holes about 10' deep. The recent rains had all the roads through the pits in water, so I didn't see the hole. Hung the front and rear bumpers on the edge of the hole and all 4 tires were in the air, should have said in the water. Had to dig the rear bumper out so the wheels fell back down on something hard.

This came down in an ice storm a little while back. It was hung in a hickory so my son and I pulled it free. Look to be good shoulder season wood for next year but I’m not sure of the type. I figured maple but not certain, what do you guys think?
d551a1325dc9aa12ee90b48c241a1aac.jpg

4302cf935266ae2fe4df61e4479f9784.jpg

716caad27fed066a800df35da26ce603.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter started back up again, so I'm back to burning. Right from the truck to the wood burner with this load. Guess I need to up my post count with @chipper1 questionable assertion that he's posted more scrounging posts than anyone. :yes: More total posts, probably. More links, definitely.
View attachment 902649

Nice WBL!

Winter started back up again, so I'm back to burning. Right from the truck to the wood burner with this load. Guess I need to up my post count with @chipper1 questionable assertion that he's posted more scrounging posts than anyone.
:yes:
More total posts, probably. More links, definitely.
View attachment 902649
So it was fake news lol.
I was thinking of you the other day when I saw this :rock:.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 9.37.15 PM.png

Now thats a wheel barrow, lol.
It is.
I'd like an articulated loader, but they aren't cheap. I think a skid steer with the turnable tires would be more appropriate for my needs though. I bet I could save a lot more on firewood if I had one :laugh:.

I know it’s not technically a firewood scrounge but I found these on the side of the road. A bit weathered but really not any worse than what I usually see at HD. I say at least a $10 score.View attachment 902700
We have a weekly auction every Tuesday. Last month they had a big Peak, Building Supply auction. Because of covid, all the sales are online. But, they had a viewing all week while the sale was taking place. My cousin and I went to look at stuff. They had two banded piles of 2X4's. One of 143 and one of 147. They were used and were wall studs that and had been trimmed 3"s. They were listed in the catalogue as bid X number of boards. The same guy won the bid on both piles at $7 per board. Today on our weekly auction, the 143 piece bundle was back. All I can figure is the guy was bidding on both bundles to make sure he got one. Then when he topped out at $7, he got them both. I just checked and the current bid is up to $3. I don't think it will hit $7 again.

Yes, I would grab a 2X4 off the road also.

Oh yeah, I'm sure i could realize a lifetime savings of $1500 if I bought that $15,000 machine.
I could use one of these on the job I'm going to look at right now, too bad the river is at the bottom and there's no access at the top. Sometimes easy isn't an option, which is why they called me, no-one else wants it:lol:. Like dad always used to say, want in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up quicker :oops:. I've learned to understand that as, if you're willing to do the crap work you'll always have something in your hand :p.

My normal run is cancelled this week so they stuck me on the road. I'm delivering receiver hitch parts to a truck frame plant in Bowling Green, KY. You couldn't organize more chaos if you tried. There's trucks, fork lifts, high lows and train cars running non-stop with little regard to whatever gets in there way. You would love it here!20210422_092205.jpg20210422_092102.jpg20210422_092210.jpg

I could use one of these on the job I'm going to look at right now, too bad the river is at the bottom and there's no access at the top. Sometimes easy isn't an option, which is why they called me, no-one else wants it:lol:. Like dad always used to say, want in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up quicker :oops:. I've learned to understand that as, if you're willing to do the crap work you'll always have something in your hand :p.

The cutting heads are interesting. Some 404 harvester and others have that huge rotating head with teeth. The rotating head takes less ongoing maintenance but if it hit a rock you are looking at 3-4 figures to replace teeth. The harvester bar needs sharpening a few times a day but even if you wreck the bar and chain you aren't out much.

Latest posts

Back