Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't let Cowboy have all the fun.:laugh: Got a call from a tree service a month ago that they were taking down a bunch of oaks. I could have all I wanted. Looked at it yesterday and went today. All I had to do was watch the guy load it with his grapple tractor. The landowner changed his mind and said his buddy would take all the wood. The tree guy said he had promised the wood . All I get is this 1 load. Oh well. There is more wood there than all of us guys could burn in a winter. I left my number with the owner when his View attachment 918167buddy gets tired.:laughing:
Yes. nice haul. Just the size I prefer for handling. And W. Oak too. The only two arborists around here chip that size up. If I could only talk them into loading my trailer.

Yes. nice haul. Just the size I prefer for handling. And W. Oak too. The only two arborists around here chip that size up. If I could only talk them into loading my trailer.
A little red oak but mostly white and chestnut oak. I like that size too.

I've just had a delivery of oak too. Bit of heart wood rot but judging by the couple of bits I poked it's still very sound, just darkly coloured. I'll grab photos tomorrow. It's a good half, maybe 2/3 cord. By the time I've CSS this and the other I have left to do I may, for the first time ever, be out of space, full, stick a fork in me I'm done.,. Maybe... Might be about half a cord short. Difficult to judge as I've lots of uglies to block up with the saw. Oak will be half the pile too. Over 2 covid lockdown WFH winter's worth

Been scrounging off and on here too. I filled pickup and trailer twice last Thursday with elm that an in-town arborist piled for me. (Too bad my camera was at home on my desk.) Since I have all the wood I need and then some, I unloaded at Lauren's place (my employee). She's almost good for next winter and running out of space for more.

Got word from my major arborist supplier that they have a huge job coming up in early August: 20 or so large ash, bunch of locust (usually honey locust around here), and one oak. I've got numerous folks lined up to help make that stuff disappear. Probably means that I'll get an early start on the following year's wood supply, as well as helping friends. And since I make it happen . . . I'll take the oak, thank you.

Went today for a load of ash that my guy said was probably "a cord or a cord and a half." This was for my buddy Michael who brought his 3/4-ton van. I brought my pickup and trailer (and log dolly), thinking we might not get that much in his van. Turned out to be one small tree (14" stump?), and we fit all in Michael's van with much room to spare. Ah well--better to have it and not need it (my outfit), than need it and not have it. I was glad it was a small load, as we went immediately after I finished two days of paid work removing two sizable pines and skidding all material uphill (many trips trudging up and downhill carrying rope, saws, cant hook, etc.) and chipping the slash. Fortunately we had some cloud cover today, so it wasn't all tough work in hot sun.

Hey, look what happens? I go to WV for a couple days, and out pops a 610. My old saw guy says he has one buried in his shop some where. Another old friend has a Sachs KMS 4 with a Wankle 3 cylinder Rotary .
I'd love to have a wankle powered saw. I just finished ripping my 610 apart today. Someone was in it before me.... I'll have to post up some pics of the one Poston then. Has a little chunk missing out of the skirt of the front cylinder, rear liston has some scoring on it. Found new old stock pistons for it. Pto side bearing had play in it as well. Muffler feels like it's loaded full of crud too, it's heavy as heck. Here's a pic I sent my friend from work. He's an old logger converted to a mechanic. He thinks my saw collection is nuts. Lol.
20210713_141811.jpg
Both cylinder had spark, so thank God I didn't have to try and find ignition parts. About half the av mounts are trash. I think I remember randy using a husqy av mount in place of the echo mounts. I'll have to search for his build thread. I'm also considering ditching the hda carb for a wj71, And getting carbon reeds for it. They should have better response. I see lots of potential with these cylinders, but have heard the cranks are weak links. Wishing I still worked at the machine shop right about now. Would be easy to weld the crank pins and have the crank trued. May just get a set of vee blocks and set up an indicator here at the house and see how far out they are. Can't believe they would be out too much. I'll get some better pics up after I have it all cleaned up. It's currently in about 1000 pieces right now.

I'd love to have a wankle powered saw. I just finished ripping my 610 apart today. Someone was in it before me.... I'll have to post up some pics of the one Poston then. Has a little chunk missing out of the skirt of the front cylinder, rear liston has some scoring on it. Found new old stock pistons for it. Pto side bearing had play in it as well. Muffler feels like it's loaded full of crud too, it's heavy as heck. Here's a pic I sent my friend from work. He's an old logger converted to a mechanic. He thinks my saw collection is nuts. Lol.
View attachment 918207
Both cylinder had spark, so thank God I didn't have to try and find ignition parts. About half the av mounts are trash. I think I remember randy using a husqy av mount in place of the echo mounts. I'll have to search for his build thread. I'm also considering ditching the hda carb for a wj71, And getting carbon reeds for it. They should have better response. I see lots of potential with these cylinders, but have heard the cranks are weak links. Wishing I still worked at the machine shop right about now. Would be easy to weld the crank pins and have the crank trued. May just get a set of vee blocks and set up an indicator here at the house and see how far out they are. Can't believe they would be out too much. I'll get some better pics up after I have it all cleaned up. It's currently in about 1000 pieces right now.
Wowzer. I always assumed these were parallel twins, but if I'm looking correctly they are a horizontally opposed? That's cool.

Wowzer. I always assumed these were parallel twins, but if I'm looking correctly they are a horizontally opposed? That's cool.
Yes opposed cylinder, simultaneously firing as well. Pretty cool idea, but heavy for a 60cc saw. I think solo made a twin as that was an inline.

No I didn't run it, I bought it knowing it had a few issues. Scored piston on rear cylinder, little chunk of skirt missing on front cylinder, and shot pto bearing. So its stripped down to nothing right now. As far ad weight in hand, no it didn't seam awkward. It does feel a bit heavy, but I'm trying to reserve judgment till it's back together and running properly again.

No I didn't run it, I bought it knowing it had a few issues. Scored piston on rear cylinder, little chunk of skirt missing on front cylinder, and shot pto bearing. So its stripped down to nothing right now. As far ad weight in hand, no it didn't seam awkward. It does feel a bit heavy, but I'm trying to reserve judgment till it's back together and running properly again.
Cool. Should do a build thread. I've heard the cylinders are different front to back?
Can you still buy pistons for them?

So, when I went up to see my Grandson my (almost) SIL told me a tree guy gave him a load of Ash.

I told him he should have told me, and I would have brought some real saws up (he has a 290 he is very fond of).

Then I went to look at his pile of logs. Not a single Ash in there, but the guy did give him Black Locust, Shag Bark Hickory, Red Maple, Red Oak and some Beech.

I told him how good that wood was, but cautioned him that the Hickory would take time to dry.

I got the impression he is just going to burn it all this season.

So, when I went up to see my Grandson my (almost) SIL told me a tree guy gave him a load of Ash.

I told him he should have told me, and I would have brought some real saws up (he has a 290 he is very fond of).

Then I went to look at his pile of logs. Not a single Ash in there, but the guy did give him Black Locust, Shag Bark Hickory, Red Maple, Red Oak and some Beech.

I told him how good that wood was, but cautioned him that the Hickory would take time to dry.

Seems that's how many people do it, just get enough to get by this season and call it good, no wonder they have chimney fires.
That's how my BIL is, really likes his ms290 with a 20" blade, even after running plenty of my ported/modified saws.
Speaking of modded, had a blast from the past today. Talking to a guy on YouTube today giving him some info on a few things happening in our great state of michigan and he made a comment about Grand Rapids, his name looked familiar and I asked if he had family where I went to school. Ends up it was the same guy I was thinking it was :). It was kinda funny what he said, probably similar to what someone who knew you in school would have remembered lol.

Hey Cowboy, what was the temp like inside you’re house when you came back from holiday?
I think the lowest we’ve had in our house was 13deg C.

G'day Jeff, it was 9°C! Apparently there had been several overcast days then a clear night before we arrived home. With the fire going the temp moved quickly back to about 14° then it was a slow climb back to 20°. Open a cupboard and cold air spills out, the chairs and tables are cold and it takes time to build up that thermal mass again.

Cool. Should do a build thread. I've heard the cylinders are different front to back?
Can you still buy pistons for them?
Yes they are different from each other. Yes I found pistons for it. Build thread, eh.... idk I may do a small write up on it after it's done, but it is gonna be a slow project.

That's how so many people do it, finally got my dad to stop burning wood he cut the same season and he's been burning his whole life. I'm normally a year ahead with another year or so of wood in logs sitting to dry out, so plenty far out, but have had high moisture in a few species that were sitting for a few years. Always best to let it sit.

Latest posts

Back