Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amish conversion.
Hey Keith. :hi: I was at my Stihl shop and in the back they had a big bin of brand new side covers from that size saw. I asked why they had so many. Seems an Amish guy in the area was converting them saws to the circular type. Till Stihl shut him down because of liability.

That's my buddy's trailer. Mine is a pequea brand same as @rarefish383. Mine needs some brake work. Those trees across the road are "drying naturally" till I need them.
:innocent:

That was my other guess, I honestly thought I had it though lol.

Ah, the good ole vertical wood pile.
I have a good number of them here, Don't need them right now, so I'll just let them stand.
Waiting on the birds eggs to hatch and then them to leave the nest, then I'll drop another 75-90'x15" black locust, after that I can move the shed back. I don't need the wood, but while the shed is out I have a nice shot for this one that I want to remove anyway.
I’d like to see a picture of these chain to blade conversions I keep hearing about.

It's a STIHL thing only us Creamsicle lovers understand. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
024 super with the coveted blade.:surprised3:
View attachment 918215
Remember this one, the custom stamp I made for you:ices_rofl:.
Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 1.25.07 PM.png

I still need to stack the wood at my house but so happy to be ahead finally.

I’ll be burning a lot more fires in the fireplace as well, that was another thing the STBE never wanted to do....
I have about a bucket of cherry just laying in the woods/gravel pit next door I need to pick up. I have a small area in the woodshed for 2 seasons out it can go in. I really hate having any green wood around, it's nice I can put it right into the shed as cherry dries quick since it has a low water content.

What woods do you guys up there burn in fireplaces, wouldn't want black locust for that :baba:, but the cherry sure is nice :sweet:.

I started scrounging when I bought my first stove. Didn't fit the stove until then following year so I was a year ahead. I didn't lift off the pedal though and as I improved the system I got further ahead, hitting 3 years CSS at the start of my third winter burning. Then I took on supplying mum and dad which meant I was back to 2 years ahead, then a poor year scrounging and I was under a year ahead at Spring last year. Then covid. Oh my word. Working from home meant my scrounge time increased, process changed and here I am probably nudging 'no more space' and almost 3 normal winter's CSS. Supplies vary but make hay when the sunshines and plan ahead to avoid famine in a lean year!

I started scrounging when I bought my first stove. Didn't fit the stove until then following year so I was a year ahead. I didn't lift off the pedal though and as I improved the system I got further ahead, hitting 3 years CSS at the start of my third winter burning. Then I took on supplying mum and dad which meant I was back to 2 years ahead, then a poor year scrounging and I was under a year ahead at Spring last year. Then covid. Oh my word. Working from home meant my scrounge time increased, process changed and here I am probably nudging 'no more space' and almost 3 normal winter's CSS. Supplies vary but make hay when the sunshines and plan ahead to avoid famine in a lean year!
Does the sun shine in London, guess you have to really get after it :yes:.
We have a good bit here today, it stays pretty cloudy here being so close to Lake Michigan.
I just checked on the bird nest out back :surprised3:, it's only been a little over 2 weeks since they started the nest. Guess I'll be taking the locust down within the next couple weeks, if the weather allows :).
Sure hope these guys scrounge up a lot of the mosquitos around here, they are real bad, except in the direct sunlight, which we don't have a lot of in our yard. Speaking of that, I need to make some hay :rock:.
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 12.19.30 PM.png

That's my buddy's trailer. Mine is a pequea brand same as @rarefish383. Mine needs some brake work. Those trees across the road are "drying naturally" till I need them.
:innocent:

That was my other guess, I honestly thought I had it though lol.

Ah, the good ole vertical wood pile.
I have a good number of them here, Don't need them right now, so I'll just let them stand.
Waiting on the birds eggs to hatch and then them to leave the nest, then I'll drop another 75-90'x15" black locust, after that I can move the shed back. I don't need the wood, but while the shed is out I have a nice shot for this one that I want to remove anyway.

Remember this one, the custom stamp I made for you:ices_rofl:.
View attachment 918256
You need these guys to help move your shed. :surprised3: Screenshot_20210714-125043.png

I have about a bucket of cherry just laying in the woods/gravel pit next door I need to pick up. I have a small area in the woodshed for 2 seasons out it can go in. I really hate having any green wood around, it's nice I can put it right into the shed as cherry dries quick since it has a low water content.

What woods do you guys up there burn in fireplaces, wouldn't want black locust for that :baba:, but the cherry sure is nice :sweet:.
Usually aspen, maple, birch, and ash in the fireplace. I save oak for heating.

Well...nuts!!! Been under high heat warnings for over 2 weeks. Today, Thu and Fri predicted to be almost back to normal (85) which is workable for me in the mornings. So today I scouted a new willow bush to clean up, looks good but almost all dead so no firewood. Then went on to the current willow bush - just about doen there, Fell a small tree that was laying against the wall of the gravel pit, worked most of it up and loaded. Used the new truck to pull the log down the hill.

Had planned to go to the small locust scrounge site tomorrow. I spotted 4 fair sized black locust there to take out whenI was down last week. Might have to use the car if I go. I used 4xlo to pull the log and tranny now stuck in 4 low.

That was one slow trip home in 4 low on a major highway at 30mph with flashers going and pulling to side to let the 65mph traffic by.

Well...nuts!!! Been under high heat warnings for over 2 weeks. Today, Thu and Fri predicted to be almost back to normal (85) which is workable for me in the mornings. So today I scouted a new willow bush to clean up, looks good but almost all dead so no firewood. Then went on to the current willow bush - just about doen there, Fell a small tree that was laying against the wall of the gravel pit, worked most of it up and loaded. Used the new truck to pull the log down the hill.

Had planned to go to the small locust scrounge site tomorrow. I spotted 4 fair sized black locust there to take out whenI was down last week. Might have to use the car if I go. I used 4xlo to pull the log and tranny now stuck in 4 low.

That was one slow trip home in 4 low on a major highway at 30mph with flashers going and pulling to side to let the 65mph traffic by.
Did you try putting the truck in neutral and moving the 4wd lever? My old Ford had to be in N to shift out of low range.

tranny now stuck in 4 low.

What truck are you driving? If it has the spring loaded locking hubs, just unlock them. Then it’ll come out of 4 low. Spring loaded locking hubs started about 1969, if it’s earlier than that jack a front wheel off the ground, then the hub will unlock. With my 64 International, I can usually unlock the transfer case by going forward and tapping the throttle while putting pressure on the shift lever. With some trucks you have to back up to get the transfer case to unlock.

Yes opposed cylinder, simultaneously firing as well. Pretty cool idea, but heavy for a 60cc saw. I think solo made a twin as that was an inline.
My old saw guys has old Echo's with bad electronics sitting all around his driveway. Some still look really nice. He said a few years back a regular customer called and said he had found an old Echo twin in his shop, didn't remember buying it. Asked if he wanted it? He said sure, how much? Give me twenty for gas and I'll be there in an hour. He said if he ever finds it, I can have it for the Twenty he gave. I don't doubt he has it, will he ever find it, who knows. But I bought 19 saws from him over the past couple years, a running Homelite Super 1050 for $40, An XL925, a 450, and a Blue EZ for ten each, and the rest for $20 each. The $20 ones include a Pioneer 700, 106 CC's, an 075, and a Homelite 770G. He's hooked me up with a big chunk of my collection. Plus he ahs 2 rolls of 1/2 inch chain, not for sale. But, he did cut me a loop for my Poulan Super 68 gear drive with 31" bar. As much as I love my old Homelites, I think this Super 68 might be the crown jewel of my collection. And all Poulans are not Green and Purple!
Q3OJWj8.jpg

I'd love to have a wankle powered saw. I just finished ripping my 610 apart today. Someone was in it before me.... I'll have to post up some pics of the one Poston then. Has a little chunk missing out of the skirt of the front cylinder, rear liston has some scoring on it. Found new old stock pistons for it. Pto side bearing had play in it as well. Muffler feels like it's loaded full of crud too, it's heavy as heck. Here's a pic I sent my friend from work. He's an old logger converted to a mechanic. He thinks my saw collection is nuts. Lol.
View attachment 918207
Both cylinder had spark, so thank God I didn't have to try and find ignition parts. About half the av mounts are trash. I think I remember randy using a husqy av mount in place of the echo mounts. I'll have to search for his build thread. I'm also considering ditching the hda carb for a wj71, And getting carbon reeds for it. They should have better response. I see lots of potential with these cylinders, but have heard the cranks are weak links. Wishing I still worked at the machine shop right about now. Would be easy to weld the crank pins and have the crank trued. May just get a set of vee blocks and set up an indicator here at the house and see how far out they are. Can't believe they would be out too much. I'll get some better pics up after I have it all cleaned up. It's currently in about 1000 pieces right now.
My friend with the Sachs Rotary said he bought it back in the 70's, for one project, and has never used it since. He said I can have it for my collection. He doesn't care what it may be worth, so I think I'm going to buy him a bottle of Appleton Estates 25 year select. When I looked it up, I think it was only made 1 year, 1975. Sachs KMS4.

Hey Keith. :hi: I was at my Stihl shop and in the back they had a big bin of brand new side covers from that size saw. I asked why they had so many. Seems an Amish guy in the area was converting them saws to the circular type. Till Stihl shut him down because of liability.
Homelite made two circular saws based on the XL12. I think one was a 10', and the other a 12". They bring pretty stiff prices too. I'm hoping to find one at a farm auction.

Latest posts

Back