Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Keith. :hi: I was at my Stihl shop and in the back they had a big bin of brand new side covers from that size saw. I asked why they had so many. Seems an Amish guy in the area was converting them saws to the circular type. Till Stihl shut him down because of liability.
I was able to get some new safety chains cheap too for same reason. Maybe same guy in Lancaster

Gypsy moth caterpillars have decimated the trees at my childhood home. Big red maple I used to climb as a kid and a couple big oaks. My mom is worried about them but the experts say the trees will survive.

I know your pain we got hit hard a few years back. I remembers sliding down our driveway rolling on their droppings. We did not loose any trees but others did. S0me came back year two but by the third they gave it up. They did eat maple but oak was the favorite.

Now my wife told me that they are getting renamed to L dispar to remain pc and not offend anyone.
The Entomological Society of America, an organization that oversees bug naming, has dropped the term “gypsy moth,” considered an ethnic slur to the Romani people.

This move is the first two for the organization’s Better Common Names Project, which seeks to replace names that contain derogative terms, inappropriate geographic references and for those that disregard what native communities called the species. The other insect it renamed was called the "gypsy ant," a lesser-known insect species that moves frequently.

As the committee seeks to find a new name for this moth, it encouraged people to use the insect's scientific name, Lymantria dispar, or L. dispar.

And on that fine note I am off for a triple shot of Bulleit Rye before they ban calling it Bulleit because someone is offended by that.

I just checked on the bird nest out back :surprised3:, it's only been a little over 2 weeks since they started the nest.
Very cool that you protect those little ones. I have several nest boxes around my place where the parent birds are feeding newly hatched little ones: tree swallows and willow flycatchers at the moment. The flycatcher is not in a nest box--its nest appears every year on a protected 4x4 cross piece close beneath the roof of my woodshed.

Am severely bummed that no bluebirds showed up this year. Normally I have them. Up the road, a 40-acre tract of woods and open meadow where I work in the fall every year has a flock of bluebirds.

Have had house wrens every year in a small box attached to a fence post outside my garden. Sometime back I noticed the box was missing. Found it in pieces on the ground, clearly swiped off by a bear who probably got the mama and whatever eggs. The lone male has been singing every day since, trying to woo a new mate. Today we saw a wren fly into the box up on the north side of the house that he poked some material into, so maybe he's got a girlfriend.

Back in June while traipsing around in the woods at my NY camp I heard my cell phone make its brrrrd-brrrd noise. Then I realized my phone was in my pocket and turned off. Kept hearing the continuous sound. As I moved to one side I found that the sound was right next to me. In a dead maple was a tiny woodpecker hole--couldn't have been more than an inch in diameter--and the sound emanated from there. Was tempted to stay nearby to see what bird would appear, but knew that my presence would prevent parents from returning and giving away their location so I moved on.

The northern deciduous woods are jammed full of bird life.

I can usually unlock the transfer case by going forward and tapping the throttle while putting pressure on the shift lever. With some trucks you have to back up to get the transfer case to unlock.
When I had my 99 f350 crew cab w/a 7.3, I got it stuck in 4wd low and iirc that worked for me, but I had to really punch it in order for it to work.
What funny is how it got stuck in 4wd low; I was pulling my 8-axle trailer and semi truck out with a load on it(165k gross) because I got it stuck in front of my house coming home for lunch :sweet:. Pretty cool it got it out, I didn't spin the tires more than about half a rotation, otherwise I would have needed another semi.

Now my wife told me that they are getting renamed to L dispar to remain pc and not offend anyone.
The Entomological Society of America, an organization that oversees bug naming, has dropped the term “gypsy moth,” considered an ethnic slur to the Romani people.

This move is the first two for the organization’s Better Common Names Project, which seeks to replace names that contain derogative terms, inappropriate geographic references and for those that disregard what native communities called the species. The other insect it renamed was called the "gypsy ant," a lesser-known insect species that moves frequently.

As the committee seeks to find a new name for this moth, it encouraged people to use the insect's scientific name, Lymantria dispar, or L. dispar.

And on that fine note I am off for a triple shot of Bulleit Rye before they ban calling it Bulleit because someone is offended by that.
What about the black widow :crazy:.
My wife would be insulted by that if I was dead :laughing:.

Here's a box through the southside window of the house with tree swallows. First the box, then a swallow flying in with a load of feed. The birds are too swift and my fingers too slow, so you get only a blur of the swallow.
View attachment 918357View attachment 918358
Great pictures.
I'm not the greenest, or the guy who saves all the critters, but if they aren't doing any harm or they are more rare, I'll do what I can to help them out. Good for them I'm not on a time schedule with this project, but if I was, I'd cut the bush out they are in and move it a bit every day until it was clear so as not to mess up their system.
Here's another friend, she laid a bunch of eggs in a hole right in the front yard. Not many of the Eastern Box turtles around either. I always watch for them, the other day I was backing a trailer into its spot and I saw one about this size, I had to wait a bit as it was "running" out of the spot :).
20210523_165949.jpg

Did you try putting the truck in neutral and moving the 4wd lever? My old Ford had to be in N to shift out of low range.

Yes I did and tried backing up a couple times. Finally limped home 5 miles with flashers going and pulling to the side of the highway to let traffic past. Unloaded, parked truck in front of garage and started to try neutral again but hit "auto" instead. That cleared it. Will try it in the morning to see if it truly did comes out of 4 low.

What truck are you driving? If it has the spring loaded locking hubs, just unlock them. Then it’ll come out of 4 low. Spring loaded locking hubs started about 1969, if it’s earlier than that jack a front wheel off the ground, then the hub will unlock. With my 64 International, I can usually unlock the transfer case by going forward and tapping the throttle while putting pressure on the shift lever. With some trucks you have to back up to get the transfer case to unlock.

It's a 2009 GMC Sierra. I finally got it cleared by trying neutral again but hit "auto" instead. That cleared it.

Morning guys.

Like most of you, we are in drought conditions up here which is in stark contrast to the near rain forest conditions we have seen for most of the past several summers. We are under full fire ban which means you cannot even use a charcoal grill. No rain in the ten day forecast and highs in the mid 80's to low 90's. I guess it is good weather for seasoning firewood anyhow LOL.

Divorce hearing is the week after next. Provided the judge does not see any issues with our negotiated settlement, that chapter of my life will be over. Which will be good as I can then start to get my house back to normal.

Opposite problem here...
20210715_072507.jpg
My lawn along the creek.
20210715_072601.jpg
Looking off the bridge along the creek in our woods.

Judging by the kids pool we got at least 4" last night. Too much too fast!

Glad you're close to closing that chapter of your life SVK. You can get on with your life then.

Opposite problem here...
View attachment 918407
My lawn along the creek.
View attachment 918408
Looking off the bridge along the creek in our woods.

Judging by the kids pool we got at least 4" last night. Too much too fast!

Glad you're close to closing that chapter of your life SVK. You can get on with your life then.
Wow send some of that this way!!

Yes I am very much looking forward to being done with her! I have definitely gone through the range of emotions and feel pretty good about things now. I actually look forward to going home (without her there) and the kids and I can do whatever we want to do with no ******** from her.

We've all been there....but folks tend to put up with too much ******** from people when they love that person. I should have walked away years ago!!

Good to see the Box turtle, really like them, see way too few of them now. The can live to be over 100!

I have long been saying that when they do a gas/oil pipeline they should also do a water pipeline so when one place is flooded and another has drought, we can move things around!

Let's face it, we depend on food, and the production of it has become more and more concentrated, so we are more vulnerable to drought.

My friend with the Sachs Rotary said he bought it back in the 70's, for one project, and has never used it since. He said I can have it for my collection. He doesn't care what it may be worth, so I think I'm going to buy him a bottle of Appleton Estates 25 year select. When I looked it up, I think it was only made 1 year, 1975. Sachs KMS4.
Yanmar had one that was imported for a few years. Well 2 models actually from what I can remember but darn hard to come by. The sachs should have had more snott, but I'd take any of them.
In the echo I do have a plan if the electronics go out on it. I play with 1/5 scale rc so am pretty familiar with these electronics and zenoah makes an opposed 80cc twin engine that I think I could swipe the source coil from and retro fit if I needed to into this saw. I'd loose any sort of timing advance (if these old saws even had it) but gain a commonly available part source.

Back