Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally sold my old 1976 Chevy 4wd pick up. It's cab was so rusted it couldn't be on the road, still sad to see it go. 4 speed and the manual 4wd kept it simple. SVK glad to hear you are moving on. How many people stay married for the kids eh. We have had rain like crazy around here, flood warnings all the time.

Well I got the parts ordered for that twin echo today at break. Yesterday all the brake parts showed up for my expedition. I hope to have that finished off tonight. (If it's not too hot till I get home from work) I'm at the point where it just needs to be done enough so it can be driven again. The rockers can wait for all I care at this point. Looks like a rainy weekend forecasted (figures I actually get a weekend off and it's supposed to rain) so I'll get this other 346xp gone over and off my bench. Seems like lumber prices are starting to come back down a bit, so hopefully I can afford a few posts and get the wood shed expanded this sumer yet. Been thinking about getting an old truck box and building a lean to off the side of it for storage. Figure nothing crazy but big enough to get the vehicles under and out of the weather if I need to work on it in a pinch.

Well I got the parts ordered for that twin echo today at break. Yesterday all the brake parts showed up for my expedition. I hope to have that finished off tonight. (If it's not too hot till I get home from work) I'm at the point where it just needs to be done enough so it can be driven again. The rockers can wait for all I care at this point. Looks like a rainy weekend forecasted (figures I actually get a weekend off and it's supposed to rain) so I'll get this other 346xp gone over and off my bench. Seems like lumber prices are starting to come back down a bit, so hopefully I can afford a few posts and get the wood shed expanded this sumer yet. Been thinking about getting an old truck box and building a lean to off the side of it for storage. Figure nothing crazy but big enough to get the vehicles under and out of the weather if I need to work on it in a pinch.
Futures are down a lot so lumber should be dropping quite a bit in the next 2 months, unfortunately with the inflation we are currently seeing(worse in like 30 yrs) it probably won't get back below where it was even last summer. I'm still hopeful it will though, that or I can find a place that has everything I want, even though we already have that minus the large outbuilding.

Looked into the nest, only one baby bird left :(. Looked around on the ground to see if they were there and saw nothing. Not sure what happened, but yesterday momma was barely in the nest because they were filling it up(it's only 3 fingers wide), I was wondering how they would all stay in there. Looks like I only have around a week before it will be gone, unless it doesn't make it, "The clutch is incubated by the female for 10 to 13 days. The young fledge after 9 days in the nest, and may remain with one parent for up to 3 weeks afterwards.". By next weekend I should be able to drop the locust, I also want to remove a 4-5" branch off a maple that is growing almost as a co-dominant leader, both will be easiest with the shed out of that area. I looked around today and the maple branch is the only thing I need to remove other than the locust currently, so the shed can go in right after that.

Last night I found something to fix the guy's arm above when he's done with the tattoo lol.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 12.55.34 AM.png

Here's a nice attachment for the stihl guys :envy:.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 2.29.24 AM.png

Benches for when you get tired after scrounging :laugh:.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 2.57.19 AM.png
And a trailer for the scrounging/boating enthusiast :laughing:.
Look at the back of the trailer closely :p.
Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 3.10.41 AM.png

Not sure what happened with the little birds, but they are now all gone and there is no trace of them falling out. I'm wondering if they moved them to a new nest because we were to close to them? Anyway, this means I can drop the locust and maple brach/spar I wanted to and get the shed location laid out more precisely and then move the shed. I just need Steve to send the boys over from PA, otherwise I'll use the 37.5 Japanese horses I have ;).
Hope you're all having a great day.

Not sure what happened with the little birds, but they are now all gone and there is no trace of them falling out. I'm wondering if they moved them to a new nest because we were to close to them? Anyway, this means I can drop the locust and maple brach/spar I wanted to and get the shed location laid out more precisely and then move the shed. I just need Steve to send the boys over from PA, otherwise I'll use the 37.5 Japanese horses I have ;).
Hope you're all having a great day.
Were there ready to fledge? If not, they probably were taken by a predator; either a bird, mustelid, or climbing snake.

Were there ready to fledge? If not, they probably were taken by a predator; either a bird, mustelid, or climbing snake.
Nope, eyes were closed when I took the last picture a couple days ago. I was out there earlier and I looked to see if the momma bird was in there and there was a bunch of odd stuff laying loosely in the nest, not sure if they were planning on reusing it, or if another bird did that, kinda odd.

Well, this was on my shooting bench yesterday!

My Model 71 (348 Winchester) got a Skinner Sight's bolt peep with an .070 aperture and shot a 1 7/8" 3 shot group at 100 yds with my handloads.

I took my first 3 deer with this gun, but then retired it when my eyes and open sight were no longer compatible. I would not install a Williams peep as it would cover some of my engraving. The Skinner Bolt Peep resolves that issue.

This gun was manufactured in 1940, I purchased it when I was in college in the early 1970s, the owner had passed and it was on consignment. It has always been my favorite gun, and is a real hammer! Looking forward to hunting with it again this year. (That is a Hornady Leverevolution 200 grain bullet, which they stopped selling to reloaders, they still sell the loaded ammo). Luckily, I have a supply, and hopefully they will start selling it again in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_20210716_175512571.jpg
    IMG_20210716_175512571.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210716_175552838.jpg
    IMG_20210716_175552838.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18

My Model 71 (348 Winchester) got a Skinner Sight's bolt peep with an .070 aperture and shot a 1 7/8" 3 shot group at 100 yds with my handloads.

I took my first 3 deer with this gun, but then retired it when my eyes and open sight were no longer compatible. I would not install a Williams peep as it would cover some of my engraving. The Skinner Bolt Peep resolves that issue.

This gun was manufactured in 1940, I purchased it when I was in college in the early 1970s, the owner had passed and it was on consignment. It has always been my favorite gun, and is a real hammer! Looking forward to hunting with it again this year. (That is a Hornady Leverevolution 200 grain bullet, which they stopped selling to reloaders, they still sell the loaded ammo). Luckily, I have a supply, and hopefully they will start selling it again in the future.
Nice rifle! And the 348 is a hell of a cartridge.

That's a beauty! I used a similar recoil pad on my model 94 to increase the length of pull for my ape arms.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Nope, eyes were closed when I took the last picture a couple days ago. I was out there earlier and I looked to see if the momma bird was in there and there was a bunch of odd stuff laying loosely in the nest, not sure if they were planning on reusing it, or if another bird did that, kinda odd.
Unfortunately something got them then

CAD warning! CAD warning!....I've just bought a sachsdolmakita, in turquoise 'kita colours. EA4300F38, thats the 43cc 3hp 15" (38cm) bar saw. Amazons fault. 24% off. The wife will believe me won't she?

Acrually that's the second makita saw in a week....last weeks was a plunge/tracksaw though.

Latest posts

Back