Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MustangMike
Creosote mostly forms when the damper is shut down too much for the fire to burn efficiently. It forms when the stove pipe is not hot enough to have a good draft.

Setting the damper properly depends on the type and size of wood you are burning, and the weather conditions outside.

Often windy conditions can make it difficult to set right up at the cabin. If you don't close it a lot when it is windy, your wood will be gone and you will be cold in the morning. If the wind dies after you turn in for the night, your wood may be largely unburned by morning.

Periodically running your stove very hot (wide open with lots of small wood) will generally burn off the creosote and keep your flue clean.

LondonNeil

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Oh I know it'll burn, it's the condensed 'smoke' or fuel so it should burn well, other than the ash that's mixed with it. As cowboy says, my buildup (which isn't much for 2 winters) probably comes in the main from every start, when the flue is cold. It isn't from shutting down and smoldering..... This is a modern 'epa approved'/can't shut the air right down affair. It runs too hot mostly. Look at my photo and at the plate at the back. It is (was) straight, 6mm cast iron with a row of holes... The secondary burn air feeds in through those. Your can see it's taken the shape of a banana and is missing a chunk from they middle.... Burnt away. It also elongated and crushed the fire bricks at either side and since the Allen screws holding it in had burnt away heads I couldn't remove it.... Tried hammering a torx in, tried easy-outs, then used the angle grinder to cut an inch from each end. Now I'm off to the garage to cut some new bricks!

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
My new OWB doesn't come in for another week and then I am off for a few days to go to Sutton Bay, SD hunting and fishing. Looks like the temps will hold until the end of the month. I am usually up and running by the 2nd week of Oct.
Once we're holding 50 odd degrees during the day I have to heat. It's coming soon.

LondonNeil

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Still warm enough to be ok with a thick sweater here, bit I'm glad both stoves are now ready to go. I am waiting for a couple of days without rain to grab a load of wood from my uncovered pile. Once we have a couple of days to dry the rain from it I'll fill 16 of the large blue IKEA tote bags and store them in the garage, about a face cord

Cowboy254

Cowboy254

Compulsive scrounger
. AS Supporting Member.
Once we have a couple of days to dry the rain from it I'll fill 16 of the large blue IKEA tote bags and store them in the garage, about a face cord
Neil, we need that in a measure we can all understand. How may wheelbarrow loads is that? :laugh:

Stihl have the fire going here. Was a cool September, we normally are burning on and off but this year almost continually, albeit less vigorously. Snow on the hills again yesterday and for the next couple of days so no pause in sight yet.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Low of 41° this morning 57° at 3 PM and raining. Saturday it was 74° and sunny
Thought you might come to Carlisle this past weekend. I didn't go because of archery season and setting up the cameras. Saw lots of trailers with car parts going by the shop.

SS396driver
Thought you might come to Carlisle this past weekend. I didn't go because of archery season and setting up the cameras. Saw lots of trailers with car parts going by the shop.
I usually do but it's been busy here and I wanted to get my garage up and weather tight. I will be there in the spring and for the truck show

MustangMike
Youth Hunting Season is coming the long WE (10/9-11). The age varies by County here in NY. My 14 year old Grandson does not wish to hunt, but his 12 year old brother is dying to go!

12 year old's can not hunt deer where I live (Putnam County), but can where my cabin is (Delaware County). He and I will be spending the 3 day WE up there.

I loaded some 55 grain Barnes TTSX bullets for my 223 Ruger American Rifle just for this. During this time, he can take deer of either sex with his license, and does not have to abide my antler point restrictions (which are 3 points on a side up there).

I can either Hunt with the bow, or carry the shotgun in case we run across a Grouse.

Wish us luck!

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
Youth Hunting Season is coming the long WE (10/9-11). The age varies by County here in NY. My 14 year old Grandson does not wish to hunt, but his 12 year old brother is dying to go!

12 year old's can not hunt deer where I live (Putnam County), but can where my cabin is (Delaware County). He and I will be spending the 3 day WE up there.

I loaded some 55 grain Barnes TTSX bullets for my 223 Ruger American Rifle just for this. During this time, he can take deer of either sex with his license, and does not have to abide my antler point restrictions (which are 3 points on a side up there).

I can either Hunt with the bow, or carry the shotgun in case we run across a Grouse.

Wish us luck!
Good luck!

sundance

sundance

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.

Wish us luck!
Best of luck. Bring a new generation along into the traditions.

Latest posts