Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I get to scrounge some black locust tomorrow. Buddy has some that’s too big for his saw so it looks like I’ll take the 850 out for a stroll. Needs some fresh fuel in the carb anyway. He has most of it cut but I guess a couple of forks are more than 24” across.
Should be a nice little snack for Big Mac. Cleaning up on the new 700 I found 2 of the bolts holding the starter assembly on were broke, one was missing, one was an Allen head ( or at least it use to be) and the one that goes in the coil was the wrong threads!
Fun fun!!!
Got the rounded out Allen bolt out with the handle end of a file and cut down 2 - 10x 24’s
For the short ones. Bet it will be a real treat to get the two broken ones out.
The 2 broken ones center punch them drill a little bit with a small drill. Heat up the case around it with map gas and use a left handed drill a little bit bigger than your pilot drill they will spin right out.

I moved to Brewster (Putnam County) from Westchester County because things were much less expensive up here. In 1977 I bought a 2 bedroom house for $36,000 and my total taxes were $660 / year and the schools were good and the snow got plowed.

Now I have a 3 bedroom house and my taxes are almost $11,000, getting hard to tell it is not Westchester! Everyone moved up, and they made it almost like where they moved from!

We had a few inches of snow last night into this morning, so it was sleigh ride day with the Grandkids, and as usual my 60+ year old sled went the furthest! We all had a good time!

As the sun got low, it was "last call"!

Attachments

• IMG_20220107_151414512.jpg
    IMG_20220107_151414512.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220107_154550680_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220107_154550680_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220107_161905516_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220107_161905516_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24
The 2 broken ones center punch them drill a little bit with a small drill. Heat up the case around it with map gas and use a left handed drill a little bit bigger than your pilot drill they will spin right out.
Thanks! Never seen an easy out that small.

If you don't have, or can't find a left handed drill.. I have had good luck using the same procedure, drilling through center, heating and using a torx bit as an easy out. They come in small sizes and are cheap. The key is to quickly heat the case around the fastener. The case will expand With heat at a faster rate than the broken fastener but once heated, they will both expand the same amount and it can still be tight. So heat quickly and keep heat from directly hitting the broken bolt. It often doesn't take much heat to make it happen. The way I look at it is, I can always heat it more later. If it doesn't work right away, let it cool completely and try again.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I moved to Brewster (Putnam County) from Westchester County because things were much less expensive up here. In 1977 I bought a 2 bedroom house for $36,000 and my total taxes were $660 / year and the schools were good and the snow got plowed.

Now I have a 3 bedroom house and my taxes are almost $11,000, getting hard to tell it is not Westchester! Everyone moved up, and they made it almost like where they moved from!
Well you go to Westchester now it's like NYC with trees . I cringe everytime I go to my house in Dutchess county ,route 9 is like central Avenue in Yonkers .

my dad bought this house 1981 in Carmel for 101k . Can’t even imagine what it’s worth now , my mom still lives there . Taxes are way more than yours my two homes are about your tax . 324ED211-3C1D-484C-8775-370E5BB527E1.jpeg

If you don't have, or can't find a left handed drill.. I have had good luck using the same procedure, drilling through center, heating and using a torx bit as an easy out. They come in small sizes and are cheap. The key is to quickly heat the case around the fastener. The case will expand With heat at a faster rate than the broken fastener but once heated, they will both expand the same amount and it can still be tight. So heat quickly and keep heat from directly hitting the broken bolt. It often doesn't take much heat to make it happen. The way I look at it is, I can always heat it more later. If it doesn't work right away, let it cool completely and try again.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Thanks! On some larger stuff I have tapped in a square cut nail to turn something out with. Works great.

WAIT, WHAT? You guys measure the rakers? :surprised3: My home schooling from dad was "if they look shiny, give 'em 2 swipes with the file".
That's a great indicator for sure, I show it to guys often.
When I'm in the basement setting a chain up I just set the rakers up there so they are all equal if I'm using the grinder, then it makes it easier if I'm out cutting and need to make those slight adjustments.

Had our 1st real storm yesterday 8" light stuff. Tractor key was frozen tried starter fluid but no go so I went to an old favorite, PB Blast and that worked. Snow blower worked and I used the new bucket to push/scrape the top of the road we live on. Town highway dept requested that we push back top of the road banks. Loaded up another skid crate for the OWB, the 10'-20' shed makes it easy to store and get at it.

I have some pretty small ones I like to break off using them in 1/4" stuff :rare2:.
My favorite are the blue point straight flue extractors, they come in a kit that's sold on the snap on truck, but I bought mine off ebay for quite a bit cheaper.
Here's a kit missing the small ones for $.99, but shipping is $30 :nofunny:, and he's only got one sale.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203784747578?hash=item2f72847a3a:g:O2QAAOSwixphz2jCThis ones a bit more, but complete and a proven seller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2247523242...gj3G|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675&epid=1923108346
Thanks! On some larger stuff I have tapped in a square cut nail to turn something out with. Works great.
That's cool, never thought of that. I have some extractors that are straight and tapered just like that, but with a sharper edge that's hollow ground iirc.
I've cut a grove into the end of many bolts to use a screwdriver. You can cut a pretty fine grove in a bolt with a Dremel.

When I was at a muffler and brake shop working on 5/16 and up many times we would run the nut the wrong way if we suspected it would break(usually from rust), most times it would break leaving it outside the manifold, then you just weld a nut onto it. Then with the y-pipe down you had plenty of space to heat the manifold and get on it better.

Today’s scrounge
Nice load.
All locust? Don't often see it rotten like that.

I’ve thought about trying to wire feed weld a nut on these but not sure.
I'm usually reluctant to do that unless it's protruding above so the threads don't get damaged even though it won't stick to mag it could still melt it then you'd have to retap it. Also once mag starts burning you had better run. It burns hot and you can't put it out. I'd hate to see someone burn their shop down. The only way to weld it is heliarc and allot of cover gas and mag filler. Buy and far I'd try the extraction before atempting the weld method.

Latest posts

Back