Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at my phone this morning and was like 3 degrees :cold: , then I saw the -7 an hr north and was like :havingarest:.
The good thing is it doesn't stay below 20 long here.
But what was the humidity? :popcorn2:
Lol
-26 here last weekend, 39 and rain yesterday, back to snow today. Don’t move here.
Oh and 68% humidity, Lol.

But what was the humidity? :popcorn2:
Lol
-26 here last weekend, 39 and rain yesterday, back to snow today. Don’t move here.
Oh and 68% humidity, Lol.
You probably won't believe me, it's 96% and it's 9 degrees right now :oops:.
You should probably tell all those folks coming from cali not to move there ;).

I agree I usually end up using a strait edge on the cutter and use a feeler gauge underneath it while setting up my grinder or filing for the rakers. I have cut allot of dead ash with the Junker chains that the cutters are all over the place, and like you said kind of have to do each individually.
The straight edge only works well like that if the cutters are all the same length, otherwise a "progressive" style guide for the win :numberone:.

Nice.
Its funny how much a little bit off on certain things can mess up a chain and other things not so much, knowing which ones have a greater effect sure has made my life better lol.
Length of cutters and the top plate angle are not nearly as important as the rakers being filed properly (matching their corresponding cutters), something many struggle to get right.
I remember years ago when I first learned that you need to bring the rakers down as you go. What a game changer for a rookie.
Can’t thank all those who have coached along the way enough!
I hope to always be as humble , patient and helpful as those fellas!!

The straight edge only works well like that if the cutters are all the same length, otherwise a "progressive" style guide for the win :numberone:.
I use the strait edge but I don't span 2 cutters I take off of the raker then put the feelers under the strait edge until its level which tells me the measurement . I would use the premade ones but I tend to use custom angles and depths so the feelers allow me to pick how many grand I want.

You probably won't believe me, it's 96% and it's 9 degrees right now :oops:.
You should probably tell all those folks coming from cali not to move there ;).
Don’t move here was mostly a joke, not directed at you. It is frustrating but not much we can do I guess.

Don’t move here was mostly a joke, not directed at you. It is frustrating but not much we can do I guess.
That Joke applies to pretty much everywhere. I've lamented that the way things were as I was growing up are no more. My wife and I try to work around it as best we can, Home school ect... Its very frustrating in the least.

Another brisk one, -29 on the house. Should be the end of super frigid temps for a while.
38 here with wind to 60 predicted. 6" new on top of about 5" old yesteday. Thawing fast today. Blew the drive off around the car I stuck in the state's low berm yesteday, dug out car and promptly got sucked off the drive. Waiting for a tow now. Had to spend 30 minutes digging out the 4x truck so I'd have wheels.

For those who haven't been here as long....that quote (Don't move here) originally came directly from the mouth of one of the most blatant, hypocritical trolls to ever visit these pages.

And IDGAF if said person was fun at GTG's.....they were a complete ******* on this site and if they cannot act like a decent human being around here, I have no interest in trying to seeing the better side of them in person.

See you don't want to forget it.
I have a good sized tool box in my Excursion, behind it is 2 floor jacks, 25' jumper cables, 4-way, tow strap, extra bars for various saws, big shot(large slingshot device to shoot throw bags/line into trees, to the left is a pry bar, pipe to fit over wrenches/ratchets, jack handles, zip straps,flexible securement dealy, and an assortment of other things one might possibly need. That's just the left lower 1/4 of the back :oops:.
I see no problem bringing a small tool box, or two, or even three :cheers:. But I'm still gonna razz you about it :yes:.
Pretty sure I posted these before, but here you go. This is what it should look like, but I also have a pile of ratchet straps.
View attachment 953676View attachment 953677View attachment 953678

MY KINDA BRO!

love it Brett.

I just got a $1700 cap for $400. Much nicer and more user friendly now. I swear the cap only weighs like 130 lbs or something. Maybe less. Eventually it’s going to have a good size solar panel on it with some deep cycle marine‘s in the bed. Will power my HAM radio and this way I can use the truck as a repeater with cross band repeat all day long with No worries on draining the truck battery. And then i can run a compressor and god knows what else

3292a66f65c514ffe537c71ba2ad8011.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

For those who haven't been here as long....that quote (Don't move here) originally came directly from the mouth of one of the most blatant, hypocritical trolls to ever visit these pages.
That quote is been used by many people, for many, many years: often by people from places like Oregon, Wyoming, or Montana, specifically referring to people from California.

Similar sentiments are probably also muttered by people from places like Hawaii, New Zealand, and other ‘paradise’ locations. Maybe even by some of your Northern Minnesota neighbors, to people from Minneapolis?

Even the title of at least one book that I read.

Philbert

That quote is been used by many people, for many, many years: often by people from places like Oregon, Wyoming, or Montana, specifically referring to people from California.

Similar sentiments are probably also muttered by people from places like Hawaii, New Zealand, and other ‘paradise’ locations. Maybe even by some of your neighbors, to people from Minneapolis?

Even the title of at least one book that I read.

Philbert
Not disagreeing, but say that term here and only one person will be associated with it.

Yep. I could tell by the "tone" of the post that they were an as$hat. One of those my way or hit the highway. Reminds me of Brandon. :innocent:
Well I get to scrounge some black locust tomorrow. Buddy has some that’s too big for his saw so it looks like I’ll take the 850 out for a stroll. Needs some fresh fuel in the carb anyway. He has most of it cut but I guess a couple of forks are more than 24” across.
Should be a nice little snack for Big Mac. Cleaning up on the new 700 I found 2 of the bolts holding the starter assembly on were broke, one was missing, one was an Allen head ( or at least it use to be) and the one that goes in the coil was the wrong threads!
Fun fun!!!
Got the rounded out Allen bolt out with the handle end of a file and cut down 2 - 10x 24’s
For the short ones. Bet it will be a real treat to get the two broken ones out.

Latest posts

Back