Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here Bob Kern and @Brufab here's that 10 - 10 I used as a kid I dug it out in the garage maybe I'll use her for some firewood this year lots of memories in this old saw. It never ran real great I got it and dug into it it had 2 diaphragms in the pump side someone in my family didn't know what they were doing but it runs good now.
c63e9f06c313c7ee914dde0b712b3d25.jpg
632c5314c9d08b7f522672ff9d48fead.jpg
Wow that's mint! Awesome saw. Almost looks new in box/never gassed. Making memories while remembering the ones made. Good deal😃 oh yea I almost forgot :baba::baba::baba::numberone:

Grouse are my favorite small game! Unfortunately, have not seen any down here for decades (and I used to hunt them South of here).

We still have them up at my Upstate property, but not as many as there used to be. Seems like we have a lot fewer Turkeys also.
I noticed alot more hawks/cats/coons/coyotes on my properties than I remember when I was a kid. Now not so many small game animals as there used to be. Since the furs ain't worth much and is frowned upon to wear I have a tons of coon and opossum pics on the trail cams. 1 coon/opossum can clean up on bird eggs and the young chicks

Wow that's mint! Awesome saw. Almost looks new in box/never gassed. Making memories while remembering the ones made. Good deal😃 oh yea I almost forgot :baba::baba::baba::numberone:
It's had gas, I guess I just clean the crap out of the stuff when I put it away. I don't use it as much as my huskys no antivibe I can't cut all day with it allot of times I use an L 65 or the Poulan micros or the countervibe.

I noticed alot more hawks/cats/coons/coyotes on my properties than I remember when I was a kid. Now not so many small game animals as there used to be. Since the furs ain't worth much and is frowned upon to wear I have a tons of coon and opossum pics on the trail cams. 1 coon/opossum can clean up on bird eggs and the young chicks
I haven't trapped this year I have last year in the field next to me yotes all over the place killing the deer. If I see them they are getting a .22 to the head.

It's had gas, I guess I just clean the crap out of the stuff when I put it away. I don't use it as much as my huskys no antivibe I can't cut all day with it allot of times I use an L 65 or the Poulan micros or the countervibe.
I haven't cut much with my old aluminum handled saws yet, just test cuts. But i did get some nice padded palm/fingered gloves to help with that based on what everyone has said about vibration and shaking the fillings out of your teeth with the old saws.

I haven't cut much with my old aluminum handled saws yet, just test cuts. But i did get some nice padded palm/fingered gloves to help with that based on what everyone has said about vibration and shaking the fillings out of your teeth with the old saws.
I'll have to look into a pair what brand did you get?

Roughed grouse--commonly called partridge when I lived in NY north country in the 1970s. It does seem like now there's fewer of them than back then. But at my camp property in St. Lawrence County twice last June I encountered a hen and brood--and yes, like Chipper1 says, it's a small circus. Numerous invisible things (like 8--10) ruffle the leaves and disappear, while momma does a dance like "Oh, I'm injured, having trouble getting about, with this wing dragging the ground and all." Was glad to see them.

I loved to shoot ducks back in the day ('70s), but was never quick enough on the draw to get a shot off at a grouse. Those things would explode from the ground and be gone while I was still thinking about raising my 12 ga.

One time while out in the woods under a full moon in fall after the leaves were off, I saw a grouse roosting on a tree limb. Its profile was clear to see in the moonlight. Which inspired me. Sometime later I was walking home in the woods from my brother's place, under a full moon, and saw the silhouette of a partridge roosting in a tree. Cool--dinner coming. I chambered a shell, raised up, and shot it at easy range (7 1/2 duck loads). Then looked to see the damn bird still in place. Loaded and shot once more. I think I shot three times, and kept peering at that stupid bird unmoved.

Couldn't stand it, and walked back to that location in the woods the next day. I saw the tent caterpillar nest that I'd been shooting through.

Grouse are my favorite small game! Unfortunately, have not seen any down here for decades (and I used to hunt them South of here).

We still have them up at my Upstate property, but not as many as there used to be. Seems like we have a lot fewer Turkeys also.
We've got a habitat problem in NY... all those old farms where farming was abandoned are now woods or housing developments. Where I am both happened and it wiped the grouse out... 50 years ago they nested in our yard.

You should give your local Ruffed Grouse Society biologist a call. They were very helpful with developing a habitat management plan for our property. Never too late to start helping the critters.
https://ruffedgrousesociety.org/contact-info/
I'm not sure they have any biologists left... they apparently replaced them with foresters. That isn't necessarily a bad thing in regards to habitat development but I do miss Andy. Going grouse and woodcock hunting with an RGS biologist was an amazing experience... His red setter was a machine too!

Speaking of roughed grouse, I had one in my woods a couple of years ago, and when I went by with my red atv if he had a good run way he would take off to dive bomb and attack me. This went on for a year or more. If I had a fishing net I would have been able to catch him. He wasn't interested in the dog , just me and my atv. On one occasion he actually divebombed me and landed on my shoulder, we were both shocked for a few seconds and went on our way. He disappeared probably ended up coyote food, but the woods were his and not mine!

Nothing scares the crap out of me more than a grouse flushing 5 ft from me as I'm walking through the woods! Lol. One day they'll find me in the woods dead of a heart attack!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Yup... that's why I call them heart attack flushes!

Speaking of roughed grouse, I had one in my woods a couple of years ago, and when I went by with my red atv if he had a good run way he would take off to dive bomb and attack me. This went on for a year or more. If I had a fishing net I would have been able to catch him. He wasn't interested in the dog , just me and my atv. On one occasion he actually divebombed me and landed on my shoulder, we were both shocked for a few seconds and went on our way. He disappeared probably ended up coyote food, but the woods were his and not mine!
I've heard similar grouse stories... they will do some strange things until you try to shoot one. Then they are magicians! ;)

The only grouse I remember was on the John Muir Trail at probably 11,000 feet elevation. It was above the tree line in the rocks, and let me walk by close to it without moving.
The grouse in the Rockies are much different from the grouse we have in the NE. I think they are sharptail grouse, not ruffed... Maybe someone can confirm that from the photo I took from the seat of my bicycle while stopped somewhere near the Lolo Summit in ID? Only one ruffed grouse held tight like that for me... that time while I was in the woods mountain biking in NY.

DSCF2086a.jpg

The grouse in the Rockies are much different from the grouse we have in the NE. I think they are sharptail grouse, not ruffed... Maybe someone can confirm that from the photo I took from the seat of my bicycle while stopped somewhere near the Lolo Summit in ID? Only one ruffed grouse held tight like that for me... that time while I was in the woods mountain biking in NY.

View attachment 957694
That looks like a young ruffie to me. Here's a sharpie. They're a prairie grouse.
Screenshot_20220119-201001_Google.jpg

Back