Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to look, my dad made sure he was loaded up on goodies when he left the plant a couple weeks ago. Got me a nice selection of gloves.
Yeah the ones we have at work are tactile ones not very much padding. I use them so I don't get nailed by chips when I set up the okks

That looks like a young ruffie to me. Here's a sharpie. They're a prairie grouse.
View attachment 957695
The grouse in my photo was much bigger than any ruffed grouse I've ever seen or held... I just went and Googled and found a female dusky grouse that looks a lot like it and fits the size description. Maybe??

1642645330905.png

The grouse in my photo was much bigger than any ruffed grouse I've ever seen or held... I just went and Googled and found a female dusky grouse that looks a lot like it and fits the size description. Maybe??

View attachment 957696
That's probably it. Looks like a match to the one in your pic.

I will have to look, my dad made sure he was loaded up on goodies when he left the plant a couple weeks ago. Got me a nice selection of gloves.
Says global glove but unfortunately made in china😢 go figure

Attachments

• 16426458531225742320298965236262.jpg
    16426458531225742320298965236262.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 16426458911672581183603871942607.jpg
    16426458911672581183603871942607.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 16426459339629068205461947641943.jpg
    16426459339629068205461947641943.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
Even more fun when you're on horseback. ;)
I'll pass on that, as I have no good relationships with any horses lol.
A good horse wouldn't care as they would probably know about it, but an untrained one wouldn't be fun at all.
Not that I even know how to ride other than in principle, but I've been to one or two or a hundred shows :dizzy: , if it wasn't for a cute little girl riding there I wouldn't have been there ;).

A good horse wouldn't care as they would probably know about it, but an untrained one wouldn't be fun at all.
Not that I even know how to ride other than in principle, but I've been to one or two or a hundred shows :dizzy: , if it wasn't for a cute little girl riding there I wouldn't have been there ;).
I know absolutely zero about horses haven't been on one. Was on a sled one time pulled by them but that's it. Knowing my luck it would come out well. I think I'll stick to self controlled vehicles without a mind of its own...well I guess nowadays cars can be that way too.

Here you go with those fresh tomatoes again BL. Growing season better get here quick.
you should see the kitchen counter! but doubt i will be canning any this season... those are Big Beef's... a more full flesh-type tomato. i do like them...

1642656359452.png

I call those scare the crap out of ya's :surprised3:.
'no ****!'... i was riding my bike yesterday and a group of about 7 or 8 pigeons had nestled in and around a tree down by the ground. and i guess i got too close to them as in just a flash they all took off and up higher into the tree. gabboling and wobboling like crazy.

>I call those scare the crap out of ya's :surprised3:.

you got it!

made my ticker flicker...
1642656896842.png

part of our culture down here. well, for some. starts early

'riding, ropin' and 'rithmatic'

..............Outwest Elementary School
...............4th Grade, Mz Smith 2015
1642658194231.png

I've been trying to figure out what happened to all the grouse we used to have here, and I've concluded it must be one (or all) of the following, but none of the folks at NYS-DEC will give an opinion.

1) Lyme disease
2) Coyotes (we have lots of them)
3 Birds of prey, especially Coopers Hawks (they are all over the place).

I remember deer hunting with a rifle up at my property and seeing 22 grouse come out of one hole, but that was a long time ago and I have not seen anything like that since. It is now very rare to flush more than one at a time, although 2 por 3 sometimes happen. I remember when 5 was not all that unusual.

I've been trying to figure out what happened to all the grouse we used to have here, and I've concluded it must be one (or all) of the following, but none of the folks at NYS-DEC will give an opinion.

1) Lyme disease
2) Coyotes (we have lots of them)
3 Birds of prey, especially Coopers Hawks (they are all over the place).

I remember deer hunting with a rifle up at my property and seeing 22 grouse come out of one hole, but that was a long time ago and I have not seen anything like that since. It is now very rare to flush more than one at a time, although 2 por 3 sometimes happen. I remember when 5 was not all that unusual.
The primary problem is the loss of habitat... not only to development but to the maturation of the forests. Ruffed Grouse need a variety of conditions... grasses, high stem count brush, small trees and some nearby mature trees. Early successional forest is the big thing. Most of the woods I go in now are like parks--almost no understory with a relatively dense canopy. We need more clear cut logging of sizeable blocks. NYS DEC announced a Young Forests initiative for state Wildlife Management Areas at the Mid-Hudson Chapter of the Rugged Grouse Society banquet in 2015 as I recall. https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/104218.html We need more private forest owners to engage... contact RGS or Audubon Society for help with a management plan. Hint, as soon as someone starts talking selective cutting you know they aren't interested in the health of the habitat!

Back