Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just going to see if I can get the bolts out buy cutting the wire . There is no way these moved so I assume the threads in the head are shot from heat cycles so I'll helical them
Heat cycles and vibration could have loosened them without the threads being shot. I'd cut them loose and try tightening them up before I just helicoiled. If they tighten I'd consider cross drilling them and lock wiring instead of the bar in case you need to address again.

How can this happen ? I welded a safety wire to the bolts on my husky 350 when it was new because the prior one they loosened up and it burnt a hole in the tank . I take it out today and while I’m walking I here a rattle. The muffler is loose and the wire is still intact. View attachment 988626View attachment 988627
I wouldn't rule out the muffler compressing/distorting with use... If there are no supporting tubes to hold the muffler in shape, and for the bolts to pass through, (i.e., the bolts pass through empty space inside the muffler) this could likely happen. I've seen it before on other outdoor power equipment... A fix would be to make up some supporting tubes so when you cinch down the bolts they are supported by the tubes and at the same time the seam in the muffler is pulled up tight.

How can this happen ? I welded a safety wire to the bolts on my husky 350 when it was new because the prior one they loosened up and it burnt a hole in the tank . I take it out today and while I’m walking I here a rattle. The muffler is loose and the wire is still intact. View attachment 988626View attachment 988627
I am thinking either rust or vibration ’peening’ some of the parts thinner?

(EDIT: I see some similar thoughts posted since I got around to commenting. )

Philbert

My guess is the gasket failed. Repeated heat cycles eventually cause enough wear that the gasket loses its compression.

I wouldn't rule out the muffler compressing/distorting with use... If there are no supporting tubes to hold the muffler in shape, and for the bolts to pass through, (i.e., the bolts pass through empty space inside the muffler) this could likely happen. I've seen it before on other outdoor power equipment... A fix would be to make up some supporting tubes so when you cinch down the bolts they are supported by the tubes and at the same time the seam in the muffler is pulled up tight.
I’d second this

Well I hope to be able to get the bolts out without snapping them
Start it and warm it up before removing them, pretty sure you only have to worry about that with the one bolt that's still tight.
I like to torq muffler bolts down when the saw is warm, they stay put best that way, but some such as these seem to loosen more than others.
The stihl bolts have little locks on the bottom of the bolts that keep them from coming loose, I like those a lot, but they wouldn't have helped you as you stopped them from turning.
Sure you'll get it figured out :).

I delivered a boat hoist to Hutten and Company Landscaping a couple weeks ago in Owen Sound. Headed SE from there out through all that farm country to pick up some dump trailer frames from a Menonite fab shop in the town of Melancthon. You'd never realize how big a chunk of ground that is looking at it on a map.
We drove from MD to Tulsa last year. We went to Louisville first. Leaving Kentucky we made one right turn and the GPS said stay on this road for 385 miles. I figured at least we wouldn't get lost for a few hours.

Weather is about to get real around here this weekend, and I'll be at our cabin in the mountains cutting a year supply of firewood in three days. But, I still have to process this big oak that crashed down during some wind last week. Scout and I did an assessment:

IMG_3939.jpg

Then I went back with my Dolmar PS-421 and limbed it out and cleared my access trails that were blocked by them and a couple Beech and Birch limbs that were brought down by it when it fell:

IMG_0990.jpg

Time to go back with the PS 6100

There's always someone who will do it for less, just need to make sure that place has the reputation and financial ability to pay claims.

I have access to one of the major companies through work that does a lot of advertising with an animal and a person in their ads but my friend who does roofs and siding said they are absolutely the worst to get $ out of so I did not even consider them when I changed recently.
We had an addition put on the house and our builder couldn't match the siding, so we had all new siding put on. A week later we had a hail storm. A day later a guy was going house to house selling new siding because most insurance companies cover hail damage. I said it was brand new and I only saw two pieces of hail, there was no damage. He said, "yeah, but it's free". It's amazing how many people would replace good siding just to F*** the insurance company.

I think I posted pics of the valves in my Brush Bandit 65 chipper with a Wisconsin VH4D. 3 of the exhaust valves were cracked. Put all new valves and new knives in it. Hit the key and purrs like a kitten. It actually growls. There is no clutch, it's direct drive so as soon as you turn the key, your turning the chipper disc too, so it makes a lot of non engine related noise. We are painting my daughters house. She bought the two acre lot and house two doors down from us. As soon as I get the chance I've got to put all the safety shields and engine pans back on. We suspect over heating, or a lean condition, to the cracked valves. Carb seems to be tuned right. I made sure all of the fins on the heads are clean. The manual says the engine pans are a major part of cooling. I thought the thing chipped really well for a small chipper, when it was running on 2 cylinders. Now Ican't wait to see what it does with a happy engine and new knives.

I think I posted pics of the valves in my Brush Bandit 65 chipper with a Wisconsin VH4D. 3 of the exhaust valves were cracked. Put all new valves and new knives in it. Hit the key and purrs like a kitten. It actually growls. There is no clutch, it's direct drive so as soon as you turn the key, your turning the chipper disc too, so it makes a lot of non engine related noise. We are painting my daughters house. She bought the two acre lot and house two doors down from us. As soon as I get the chance I've got to put all the safety shields and engine pans back on. We suspect over heating, or a lean condition, to the cracked valves. Carb seems to be tuned right. I made sure all of the fins on the heads are clean. The manual says the engine pans are a major part of cooling. I thought the thing chipped really well for a small chipper, when it was running on 2 cylinders. Now Ican't wait to see what it does with a happy engine and new knives.

Sounds great Joe.

Latest posts

Back