Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was buy 1 get 1 free for at least 5 years. Now he's buy 2 get 1. His prices were cheaper than the Southern States Stihl dealer. Now the Ace, in the same shopping center, as the SS's, is a Stihl dealer. I wonder if there will be any price wars?
I probably posted this before. (CRS) I asked the stihl dealer 5 minutes away from me about the buy 2 get 1. He told me (lied) that they could only do that a few times a year when stihl authorized it. A few other dealers told me basically the same thing. When I asked my dealer about it he told me it was up to the dealer what they could do. I've been going there close to 30 years and that's always been his deal.

at work, in action! this thing makes mincmeat out of big power line clearing jobs.... spinning fast... ZZzzzzzzzzzz...
P1010045.JPG
P1010046.JPGP1010049.JPGP1010048.JPG
P1010038.JPG

action end, ie the business end! 26" carbide.... hisses like a snake as it spins!! the voice of total authority!!

"brutal, shows no mercy! takes no prisoners!!"

Well closest I've had to scrounging, finally burning up some scrap wood laying around. I didn't scrounge it it was brought over at my wife's request. This fire has actually been going since Saturday, it's burns down and (for some reason) holds coals over night, so when I get home from work (morning shift till saturday) I've just been stirring it around and tossing more in.

Attachments

• 16560110771684422201288108722293.jpg
    16560110771684422201288108722293.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Well closest I've had to scrounging, finally burning up some scrap wood laying around. I didn't scrounge it it was brought over at my wife's request. This fire has actually been going since Saturday, it's burns down and (for some reason) holds coals over night, so when I get home from work (morning shift till saturday) I've just been stirring it around and tossing more in.
How much rain you get last night?

Attachments

• 20220623_163815.jpg
    20220623_163815.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
My Stihl dealer has had the buy one get the second one half off deal. I'm still using chain from 5 years ago
I'm guessing you have a relationship with your dealer? This was my first time going to this dealer, since we just moved up here last Summer, so I didn't expect any real discounts or anything like that. But I also wasn't expecting to pay what I did. And I hadn't heard of the buy one, get 50% off of the second one before. Was that a Stihl promotion, or just a dealer thing? I DO have to establish a relationship with one or two of my local dealers though, so that in the future, hopefully purchases won't be as painful LOL.

Seems high to me. 33 is about normal at the stieahlership, but I don't pay that much.
I try to buy everything ahead so I can get a deal, much like the files, I'm stocking up now. I just bought an ms290 to resell, and it comes with a couple bars and a bunch of chains, I'll keep so chains, and let a few go with the saw if the new owner desires. The last new chains I bought were 24" husky(not x-cut) in 063, I think I bought those for like 24 a pair, but I don't remember.
Before that I bought a bunch of 20" husky bars and chains for 33 each set, then sold off most of the sets that came with the h27 chains and kept the ones with the new x-cut chains, I like those a lot, more than the stihl RS(and the price helps too lol).
Yup, you obviously do much better than I do at the dealership! And I'm new to the forum, so I don't know, but you sound like a wheeler and dealer to me? Often flipping and rebuilding saws? If that's the case, I'm sure you buy a lot more stuff than I do from dealers, so you've probably earned yourself a discount.

Here’s the second resort which is across the channel from the one I posted yesterday along with some randoms (sorry if I posted any dupes). This roof came off in one piece.
View attachment 997721
View attachment 997722View attachment 997723View attachment 997725View attachment 997726View attachment 997727View attachment 997728View attachment 997729View attachment 997730
Holy cow is that a lot of mess. Do you volunteer to help out with the cleanup? I try to if I don't have any of my own cleanup to do first. I'm guessing that if a guy wanted, he could charge quite a hefty price doing cleanup for those resorts and then they could be reimbursed by their insurance company?

Yup, you obviously do much better than I do at the dealership! And I'm new to the forum, so I don't know, but you sound like a wheeler and dealer to me? Often flipping and rebuilding saws? If that's the case, I'm sure you buy a lot more stuff than I do from dealers, so you've probably earned yourself a discount.
Nothing wrong with that mindset. When you're part of a small community, it's alright to take one for the team sometimes and purchase local even if you know damn well you're getting raked over the coals.

However, if I was you, I'd look at some other options for chain. Stihl might make an excellent product, but at some point chain is chain, and the current offerings from Oregon and HVA are excellent for a fraction of the cost.

It was the 3/8's that has lower teeth than standard 3/8's. When I first got it I put standard 3/8's on it and the DL's didn't sit all the way in the groove and it made a loud zinging noise. Took it back and they gave me Stihl Green box. I said I didn't use safety chain, they said that was all I could get with that set up. I actually switched bars and 3/8's fit, but the clutch was loud. I used it like that for ten years and it finally cut the clutch in half. That's when I got the proper clutch and all is well ever since. The original clutch did not have a rim, I think the replacement one does. Maybe I'll look later today.
In stihl nomenclature that's called 3/8 picco, all the other brands call it 3/8 lp(low profile), stihls special ;). I'm a big fan of stihl picco chain, even with the anti-vibe humps it cuts awesome on small saws.
Did you happen to save that spur drive as a trophy :numberone:(if you do, I'd like to know the part number on it). Something has to wear when using lp chain on a standard 3/8 spur, or vise versa as the gear is slightly different sized, the 3/8 lp is actually a bit larger if I remember correctly. Some guys were taking a 404 rim and turning it down to the proper diameter for an lp chain to mill with a large spline saw(like 70cc or larger).
I made it out to work on the trailer build, didn't get much done though. We got the deck/flat bed off the trailer it's been sitting on since last fall, and got it flipped over and on the ground so I can work on I removing the C-channel 2x4's (I thought they were 2x4 tubes, I was wrong). I also hauled the 20" load trail trailer home, first time it's been to my house since the night I bought it last fall :oops:, the flat bed has been sitting on it as i bought that right after buying the trailer out of state. It pulled pretty nice, I also figured out it's at least 6" wider between the rails than my 14' single alxe trailer I usually haul my tractors on. I was a bit surprised by this, I'll probably list the 14' trailer soon as the 20' sits much lower and it seems to pull a little easier. The 20' needs a bit of work on the back end, but it can wait a while before it needs to be done.
Here's some pictures of the flat bed and the frame it will be going on, it was a 5th wheel setup.
20220623_190105.jpg
20220623_190154.jpg
Okay, I was wondering when I actually acquired these, so I went back and found the date I was hauling them up, July 30th last yr for the trailer and the flat bed :surprised3:.
Here's the frame before I removed the 5th wheel setup.
Now I feel like I need to shift into a real high gear and see if I can finish it up by the 1yr anniversary :laugh:.
20210805_180043.jpg

You can get 6 boxes of new x-cut for $100 on ebay. I just bought 12 boxes, which is a lifetime supply for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-73LGX08...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
Thanks for the link :).
Hopefully you get the x-cut chains (the ad says H24 chains or the x-cutchains), not that the others are bad, just nowhere near the same quality.
Also those are .058 gauge, in case someone isn't looking close, wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong game on accident.
I have enough chain here for a long time myself, I have more new chain in my "inventory" than most the local saw shops, then gobs of sharpened ones on the vice waiting to have the rakers set, a pile of them on the bench waiting to be sharpened, and then more in various piles on the floor :dizzy:. Someone should clean that mess up :innocent:.

Speaking of scrounging firewood. My wife and I are dismayed at the prices in the stores. So much so that a 15 lb bag of Kingsford is $14 at the grocery store and now they wanted $4.19 for whole milk. We decided to go back in the woods and start cutting all the dead ash branches into hockey puck sized wood chunks and use them for grilling outside. We are still putting some charcoal bricks in but mostly small ash chunks. Kind of sad that I am going through this kind of stuff but will likely save $30 this summer. Anyone else do this? . I dont think I am off topic , we are in the scrounging firewood thread.

Speaking of scrounging firewood. My wife and I are dismayed at the prices in the stores. So much so that a 15 lb bag of Kingsford is $14 at the grocery store and now they wanted $4.19 for whole milk. We decided to go back in the woods and start cutting all the dead ash branches into hockey puck sized wood chunks and use them for grilling outside. We are still putting some charcoal bricks in but mostly small ash chunks. Kind of sad that I am going through this kind of stuff but will likely save $30 this summer. Anyone else do this? . I dont think I am off topic , we are in the scrounging firewood thread.
Yes, charcoal prices are insane. We go through 6 bags or more a year. I remember getting 20# bags for $5. Now when on sale (not often), it's 16# for $10. I've been thinking of switching to wood, too.

Latest posts

Back