Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W/O going into all the details, when I was a teenager, we decided a neighbor needed to be taught a lesson. As 4 of us sat in a vacant lot, at night a block away watching, we had lured her out of the house while we had a firecracker in a cigarette time fuse on her lawn.

She was almost standing on it, shinning her flashlight looking for us when it went off. She dropped the flashlight and went running into the house screaming like a banshee!

We were cracking up laughing, but the next thing you know sirens were blaring and the neighborhood was littered with NYS Trooper cars. Turns out that after she ran into her house screaming, she called the police to report that her house had been dynamited! This was long before 911, so she likely called the operator (O) to get the police. Some of our innocent friends ended up being searched and thoroughly questioned but we were never caught.

There was a lot more to the story, but this is the abbreviated version.
Reminds me of some shenanigans I got into during high school. Mind you this was recent enough that terrorism was on everyone's mind and school violence was becoming a "thing."

Anyway, we found a 1" steel ball bearing somewhere in the metal shop and decided it would be a good idea to build a cannon, out of DOM tubing, while the shop teacher was lounging in his office. I honestly didn't think it would work, but somehow, it. It made a really loud boom...like car alarms going off in the school parking lot 150 yards away. We didn't see the bearing leave the barrel, but it wasn't there anymore when we checked.

Needless to say, we all scattered like cockroaches. Alarms were going off and law was EVERYWHERE, eventually the county's bomb squad showed up. We were never caught, but the shop teacher sure suspected a few of us...he made my shop experience very not fun for the rest of the year. After that, I got detention multiple times and even suspended by that teacher.

That wasn't the first time we played around with explosives in that class. Somebody brought a bunch of m80s to class one day. We stuff some inside of oranges and other pieces of fruit...for the others, we raided the FFA fridge and put them inside ground beef. That was a terrible mess lol...I don't know how we didn't get in trouble with the law more than we did, back then.

A-Square got SAAMI approval for a 338-06 in 1998, but no one chambers guns for it.

It just seems like it would be a VG combo to me ... if a 308 is about ideal for 30 cal, than an 06 case should be about ideal for a 338.

No belted case means smoother operation and more magazine capacity, and it would have less recoil (and gun weight) than a 338 Win Mag, yet enough power to harvest about anything at a reasonable range. I'm sure for all practical purposes, my 30-06 will do just as well.

I also used to be enamored with the 264 ballistics, but ended up with a 270 WSM instead, and I also have a 220 swift. A major drawback of the Swift is the semi rimmed case, which requires careful attention when loading your gun (or the rounds will not feed properly).
I definitely like the concept of a .338-06

The 220 Swift is an impressive cartridge. However, it is said barrels don't last much more tht a couple thousand rounds because of the extreme velocities the cartridge produces. Thats just what I've read and heard. True or not? I really dot know. Some acquaintances of mine that own 220's don't ever really fire them. I guess they just like to look at them or something. 😂

W/O going into all the details, when I was a teenager, we decided a neighbor needed to be taught a lesson. As 4 of us sat in a vacant lot, at night a block away watching, we had lured her out of the house while we had a firecracker in a cigarette time fuse on her lawn.

She was almost standing on it, shinning her flashlight looking for us when it went off. She dropped the flashlight and went running into the house screaming like a banshee!

We were cracking up laughing, but the next thing you know sirens were blaring and the neighborhood was littered with NYS Trooper cars. Turns out that after she ran into her house screaming, she called the police to report that her house had been dynamited! This was long before 911, so she likely called the operator (O) to get the police. Some of our innocent friends ended up being searched and thoroughly questioned but we were never caught.

Dynamited! LMAO!!! Thats to much! Talk about "blowing" things out of preportion! That gal has obviously never heard an actual charge of Dupont set off!!! 😂🤣😂🤣 Oh that's too funny!

Some Husqvarna models leaked at oil hose connections. The fix was to disassemble, clean the surfaces with solvent, and reassemble with Permatex.

Pretty simple: even I could do it.

Philbert
You talking about where the oil hose goes into the oil reservoir? My stihl MS 170 leaks there I believe. Permatex? Easy to disassemble when needed?

One time my ex-brother-in-law and his buddies were out doing burnouts on a secondary road with their cars. Someone called in and said people were “burning tires on the highway” so the fire department showed up expecting a pile of tires on fire.
Years back I volunteered at a fire dispatch center. Got a bad mumbler on the line reporting what I thought was a broken water pipe. After going back and forth for a bit trying to determine if she could turn the water off at the main valve, I caught the word "baby" and SHE had broken water. :innocent:

You talking about where the oil hose goes into the oil reservoir? My stihl MS 170 leaks there I believe. Permatex? Easy to disassemble when needed?
With the Huskies it was primarily at places where the hose slipped over a barb on a fitting.

There are many types of Permatex type sealants. For your use I would just read the labels. That’s not a high pressure or high heat location, so there should be options that are easy to remove.

Philbert

Some Husqvarna models leaked at oil hose connections. The fix was to disassemble, clean the surfaces with solvent, and reassemble with Permatex.

Pretty simple: even I could do it.

Philbert

Shouldn't be the pump going bad, but many times the connections at the pump will leak.
I like to pull the pump and clean the hose ends real well, then reassemble using super glue on the ends. If that doesn't work you'll need to replace the one to the bar, but while your ordering it you may as well get the pickup tube also.
Thanks guys, that makes sense. I think I’ll just order a new assembly for the 346 as it’s already several years old.

Is this the function of the rubber getting old? Or maybe poor tolerances in mating services from the saw?

Reminds me of some shenanigans I got into during high school. Mind you this was recent enough that terrorism was on everyone's mind and school violence was becoming a "thing."

Anyway, we found a 1" steel ball bearing somewhere in the metal shop and decided it would be a good idea to build a cannon, out of DOM tubing, while the shop teacher was lounging in his office. I honestly didn't think it would work, but somehow, it. It made a really loud boom...like car alarms going off in the school parking lot 150 yards away. We didn't see the bearing leave the barrel, but it wasn't there anymore when we checked.

Needless to say, we all scattered like cockroaches. Alarms were going off and law was EVERYWHERE, eventually the county's bomb squad showed up. We were never caught, but the shop teacher sure suspected a few of us...he made my shop experience very not fun for the rest of the year. After that, I got detention multiple times and even suspended by that teacher.

That wasn't the first time we played around with explosives in that class. Somebody brought a bunch of m80s to class one day. We stuff some inside of oranges and other pieces of fruit...for the others, we raided the FFA fridge and put them inside ground beef. That was a terrible mess lol...I don't know how we didn't get in trouble with the law more than we did, back then.
Stories like that are priceless! I hadn’t heard of the cigarette fuse but I may know some people who used to use a birthday candle time delay fuse.

I may have shared the story before in here… My friend’s father and his friends decided they were going to blow up the town water tower back in the 50s. They borrowed enough explosives from somebody’s dad and had the whole thing rigged up. When they went to light it off, the battery they brought along was dead so they had to go back into town to get a different battery. One of the kids dads asked them WTF they were doing when they were taking his battery out of his truck. They told him and he said NFW are you doing that. If it hadn’t been for the first dead battery they would’ve blown the thing up!

The best part of the story… My friends dad ended up becoming a police officer and then the chief of police!

A-Square got SAAMI approval for a 338-06 in 1998, but no one chambers guns for it.

It just seems like it would be a VG combo to me ... if a 308 is about ideal for 30 cal, than an 06 case should be about ideal for a 338.

No belted case means smoother operation and more magazine capacity, and it would have less recoil (and gun weight) than a 338 Win Mag, yet enough power to harvest about anything at a reasonable range. I'm sure for all practical purposes, my 30-06 will do just as well.

I also used to be enamored with the 264 ballistics, but ended up with a 270 WSM instead, and I also have a 220 swift. A major drawback of the Swift is the semi rimmed case, which requires careful attention when loading your gun (or the rounds will not feed properly).
My first .338-06 was a Ruger 77 30-06 that I had P.O. Ackley rebore to .338-06 for me, that was in the 70's. I was hunting brown bear more and more, and I wanted to build a rifle just for that, and after trying other cartridges, I settled on the .338-06, after seeing it's performance on moose and bear.

So, I ended up building one, using a Douglas premium bbl., 700 Rem. action with a custom stock that fit me "properly", and I shot a lot of big game with it including brown bear, caribou, moose, deer ect...

I still have the rifle and I still think it was good choice for bigger big game, it put a LOT of meat in my freezer.

SR

Looks great. What did you use to prep it.
I pulled all the steel parts off the deck of the trailer today and then used the pressure washer and a media blaster kit to blast them(reminds me of the Martian on bugs bunny Marvin). Anyway lol, I managed to get them all done, hope to prime them tomorrow, while their drying maybe I can pressure wash the aluminum and the decking, we'll see.
This is one of the eight parts I did. I also have a couple small parts on the frame in the back I'll do tomorrow and prime/paint them right after as ill just dry them with a torch :blob2:.
View attachment 1010375View attachment 1010376View attachment 1010377View attachment 1010381
Lots of degreaser. Once I got it to flash rust I used metal prep ,phosphoric acid mixed with water after it dried I used epoxy prime and 2k urethane color

Lots of degreaser. Once I got it to flash rust I used metal prep ,phosphoric acid mixed with water after it dried I used epoxy prime and 2k urethane color
You leave the residue from the phosphoric acid on and apply primer right over it? What concentration of Phosphoric acid ..5%? Can you wait to prime it or do you have to do it right after it dries? Works with oil and water based primers/paints?

Reason I ask, is I'm working on my firewood trailer soon.

Cleaned up some of our backyard and look who comes to visit us. He came right up behind our garage and walked up the driveway to cross the road. I'll try to load the video.
:surprised3:

did u get it loaded?

if not, load to uTube, the post the url ~

:drinkingcoffee:

dang, behind again! more than just one thread, i mite add. but not behind on pine needle raking! full day yesterday!!!... again, today... with mowing. have to say one thing about pine needles... great to help start a campfire!! thot i'd post up my scrounge from the other day: the '2 1/2 min firewood scrounge'... works for me! :numberone:👍
P1010003.JPG
oak!

👍

i got a good firecracker story, too! from back when... reason and sense were still in the formation stage. one of those events that could have gone terribly wrong! had it gone just a bit further...

sometimes ya just get lucky!

on both sides of the fence.....

Dynamited! LMAO!!! Thats to much! Talk about "blowing" things out of preportion! That gal has obviously never heard an actual charge of Dupont set off!!! 😂🤣😂🤣 Oh that's too funny!
who can ever forget the report of a M-80!!!

1660666500271.png

(see above post, yes, it was an M80!)

You leave the residue from the phosphoric acid on and apply primer right over it? What concentration of Phosphoric acid ..5%? Can you wait to prime it or do you have to do it right after it dries? Works with oil and water based primers/paints?

Reason I ask, is I'm working on my firewood trailer soon.
You can leave the residue . I mix up one part phosphoric acid to two pars water for clean metal work it in to the surface with a brush . Rinse it well and let dry you will have some white areas and a little flash rust but I spray over it as is .

Make sure your primer is compatible with the acid . I use SPI but the acid needs to be completely washed away . This is my Chevelle engine done this way 4 years ago no peeling or blemish’s yet20181030_143534.jpg20181031_145241.jpg

Thanks guys, that makes sense. I think I’ll just order a new assembly for the 346 as it’s already several years old.

Is this the function of the rubber getting old? Or maybe poor tolerances in mating services from the saw?
That should take care of the leaks, if not use a drop or two of super glue, fast and cheap, or some permatex as was suggested.
Normally just getting old, but sometimes it happens on new parts too.

Back