Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of degreaser. Once I got it to flash rust I used metal prep ,phosphoric acid mixed with water after it dried I used epoxy prime and 2k urethane color
Thanks.
You leave the residue from the phosphoric acid on and apply primer right over it? What concentration of Phosphoric acid ..5%? Can you wait to prime it or do you have to do it right after it dries? Works with oil and water based primers/paints?

Reason I ask, is I'm working on my firewood trailer soon.
Regardless what you end up doing, make sure you buy your supplies ahead of time. I planned on priming mine this morning with rust oleum rusty metal primer(even though it only has a bit of flash rust on the parts), but I couldn't get it local, then spent an hr looking for it until I found it 25 mins away.

Thanks.

Regardless what you end up doing, make sure you buy your supplies ahead of time. I planned on priming mine this morning with rust oleum rusty metal primer(even though it only has a bit of flash rust on the parts), but I couldn't get it local, then spent an hr looking for it until I found it 25 mins away.
Sorry, but I don't understand your phosphoric acid step? How concentrated? How soon after it dries do you prime?

Sorry, but I don't understand your phosphoric acid step? How concentrated? How soon after it dries do you prime?
I didn't use the acid, that was SS396.
I used a pressure washer and a media blasting kit, a venturi that hooks to a hose in a bucket full of sand, then the water draws the sand into the spray and "blasts" the metal. It's one of many options.
Even if I had more flash rust, using the rust oleum rusty metal primer it would cover it and keep it at bay. It's also an oil based primer, and I use an oil based paint over it.

Ok 2 parts water to 1 part acid I use a spray bottle wet it down don’t do it in sunlight as it will dry to quickly. Let it sit a few minutes spray areas again that dry . Rinse with lots of water . Let it completely dry the prime .

What primer and paint are you using ? Like Chipper1 said if your using rust oleum don’t bother with the acid .

Another scrounging day here today... My friend came over and we went back to my woods, and like yesterday, I brought him the wood with my tractor, and he cut it to length,

Resized-20220815-152112-S.jpg

My friends Husky 576 really rips!

Resized-20220815-155411-S.jpg

anyway, like I said, I brought him wood and he kept cutting until we had a pretty decent load!

Resized-20220815-164827-S.jpg

SO, off to the splitter we go, then we rolled the big rounds using a board, right onto the splitters beam,

Resized-20220816-122442-S.jpg

All of them were fairly big and they made a lot of splits. I love the wood (heat) that you get from those big rounds!

Resized-20220816-133117-S.jpg

Out of that load, we filled 3-3/4 of my half cord boxes.

SR

I've seen enough firewood related posts between the truck fixing and trailer building and gunsmithing. It inspired me to finish this winter's stacking. I have 10 of these racks sitting on landscape timbers on blocks, under my deck which has tin on the underside. 10 facecord or 3.3 full cord. I use between 7 and 9 depending on the wood and the winter. Had to pull out the splitter to get the last half a rack filled. Feels good to be ready for the year. Now just need to split next year's wood. My hound has done some scrounging too!
View attachment 1010066View attachment 1010067View attachment 1010068
father like son!!! ;)

My scary climbing moments happened when I was tired and was just trying to rush things. Things like taking a larger top than I should have(with a pull line too...red flag!) Or when I almost ran out the end of my line descending from a tall pine when I was still 30' off the ground(because I failed to put a stopper knot back in it.)

I wasn't sure if that was sarcasm, but yes...timber falling, not actually free falling lol. Knock on wood, I've never fallen out of a tree!
just a play on words.... :popcorn2:

but in any event, i am not falling for that!!! :cool:

It's on wheels too, so I can roll it out to the front of the shop to blow the saw off with air and not make a mess inside. There is also a small 4" vise on the end of it, it doesn't show up in the pic though.

What you also don't see in the picture is my 30' long workbench/cabinet space behind me. After having that much work area, I don't think I could ever go back to a single small bench.
and to think i thot my 16' workbench was long!

big or small, i just got a thing for workbenches. even old tables can qualify! lol
:givebeer:

Nice directional control with those, it's always when you get everything to go into the lead.
The excavator we have working out there, was a ways up the hill, so I figured on just "sending it." Not so much lol, it wasn't too bad, I've hung up trees worse than that lol.
Like I said, not a ton of experience cutting that specific species of oak. Most of the oak I cut locally is a different species called Ca black oak...that stuff is usually rotten in the inside, between the rot and the sheer weight of them, you'll never get one to swing. This stuff I was cutting the other day, I just wanted to see what I could get it to do.

This pick of a black oak is a good representation of what most of them look like...no I don't try to swing these lol!

View attachment 1010078View attachment 1010079
for the urban firewood scrounger... there is no shortage of free oak firewood currently avail all around my immediate area. drops etc from past couple storms... some on the curb, some still in yards need to be cut into stix

Another scrounging day here today... My friends Husky 576 really rips!
anyway, like I said, I brought him wood and he kept cutting until we had a pretty decent load!

All of them were fairly big and they made a lot of splits. I love the wood (heat) that you get from those big rounds!
those r big rounds. i burn rounds in mr Brutus but mostly just to use and for an afternoon's fire's longevity. couple rounds and i don't have to tend to the fire for awhile...
P1010011.JPG

other than if one mite roll out!!! :surprised3:
:dumb:

Just thought Id post a pick of the view from our kitchen in the single wide trailer we live in at camp. A nice little sea side lake, small grove of small Spruce, and even two little bits of ocean view! 😂 I had to slash the alders the other day. They were blocking the view something fierce! I Stihl need to stack and burn the slash one of these evening's.
Good night gents and...

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! View attachment 1010206
reminds me of Zimmern i watched tonite, recorded other day on cooking show: cods, halibut, king salmon, dungeness, etc... up in Sitka.... along with berry fed venison...

fresh Sitka seafood: 👍

nice!, always have liked seeing ur auto works and reworks! :)

i have one of those! [L6]

solid lifer cam, ported head, back cut valves, roller rockers etc piston TDC above the deck... and a full -length crankshaft oil scraper, too! one hot rodding eve, some guy made my day... told his buddy he was gunna have a V8 that sounded just like mine!!!! ;)

chevy parts in orange, Deltron, DXLR etc.... 6 tube headers... w/4-bbl, modded oil pan, sump

oh, i almost forgot... a fogger nozzle, too! ;) about 375 hp chevy 6~

:cool:

Looks great. What did you use to prep it.
I pulled all the steel parts off the deck of the trailer today and then used the pressure washer and a media blaster kit to blast them(reminds me of the Martian on bugs bunny Marvin). Anyway lol, I managed to get them all done, hope to prime them tomorrow, while their drying maybe I can pressure wash the aluminum and the decking, we'll see.
This is one of the eight parts I did. I also have a couple small parts on the frame in the back I'll do tomorrow and prime/paint them right after as ill just dry them with a torch :blob2:.
View attachment 1010375View attachment 1010376View attachment 1010377View attachment 1010381
i like seeing fab work in steel! my rustoleum primer is well dried now on my lil scrounge Gorilla dump cart... still waiting to get some black on the old bolts... make them look NIB 'new'... or close!
P1010008.JPG
cart will be for my saws, fuel, water, tools, PPE etc. caboose, cart#3. i rigged up the hitch so no holes had to be drilled, other than for pre-drill fasteners in wood. all DIY bolt-on. green for scrounges, and tug is yard tractor scrounged off curb across street couple yrs ago... just one Sunday morning, out for walk, early... and there it was! beat cheeks over and rolled in on over to my place... kids liquidating late Dad's estate... and did not want. $12.00 later and some elbow grease... had it running great! 12 hp
P1010015.JPG
i like the lil scrounger cart so much, i bot a new one with Flat-Free tires... and all the fasteners are gold irradiated...

Reminds me of
That wasn't the first time we played around with explosives in that class. Somebody brought a bunch of m80s to class one day. We stuff some inside of oranges and other pieces of fruit...for the others, we raided the FFA fridge and put them inside ground beef. That was a terrible mess lol...I don't know how we didn't get in trouble with the law more than we did, back then.
then there was the time in HS Chemistry class... and i was just adding this and that to the beaker ... as each did their own experiment... as it was held over the bunsen burner, no stopper... then suddenly BOOM! and 💩 all over the ceiling!!!... clouds and plenty of smoke, too.... and u could have heard a pin drop! i felt a bit obvious... then the teacher... eye ball to eye ball with me... said
1660716585908.png

"Now THAT... was not funny!"

[:laugh:]

Stories like that are priceless! I hadn’t heard of the cigarette fuse but I may know some people who used to use a birthday candle time delay fuse.

I may have shared the story before in here… My friend’s father and his friends decided they were going to blow up the town water tower back in the 50s. They borrowed enough explosives from somebody’s dad and had the whole thing rigged up. When they went to light it off, the battery they brought along was dead so they had to go back into town to get a different battery. One of the kids dads asked them WTF they were doing when they were taking his battery out of his truck. They told him and he said NFW are you doing that. If it hadn’t been for the first dead battery they would’ve blown the thing up!

The best part of the story… My friends dad ended up becoming a police officer and then the chief of police!
fate steps in!

just in time ~

Thanks.

hi chipper - good advice. or just don't use it all up in one session. all i have to do is go to shop shelf and there it is...
1660716992843.png

I didn't use the acid, that was SS396.
I used a pressure washer and a media blasting kit, a venturi that hooks to a hose in a bucket full of sand, then the water draws the sand into the spray and "blasts" the metal. It's one of many options.
Even if I had more flash rust, using the rust oleum rusty metal primer it would cover it and keep it at bay. It's also an oil based primer, and I use an oil based paint over it.
maybe. for a while, at least. i have an art item up country and i used plenty. then color. the rust is showing its advantage in spots...

only thing i have seen really handle rustyish metal that has been cleaned quite well, is expoxy primer!

that stuff is pretty good, especially 2-part aviation epoxy primer with surface conditioner first... :numberone:

Ok 2 parts water to 1 part acid I use a spray bottle wet it down don’t do it in sunlight as it will dry to quickly. Let it sit a few minutes spray areas again that dry . Rinse with lots of water . Let it completely dry the prime .

What primer and paint are you using ? Like Chipper1 said if your using rust oleum don’t bother with the acid .
I didn't see the "Rusty Metal" in primer. Makes sense.

I'm using Majic brand primer/paint. It's oil base made for tractors/implements sold at local Rural King. Would you use the paint hardener on top cote?

Back to the acid. 1:2 sounds a little excessive. I've got concentrated Phos Acid so at that dilution would be 28%. I'll be reusing the expanded metal floor that's quite rusty. The acid treatment should take care of that.

Back