Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My doctor warned me that a hernia will always keep getting bigger.
be careful tk -

A strangulated hernia is when your intestine is trapped so tightly that its blood supply is cut off. The part of the intestine that isn't getting enough blood can burst and die and, if not treated, can kill you.

Bummer Nate! It has been very hot and dry here also, luckily since most of our woods are hardwoods, we don't get many forest fires.
out of control fires always bad! storms rolled in other day, tons of lightning... 700+ hits/minute... several home's roof's hit, and 'poof!' up in flames.... :surprised3:

rain can dry, fire shows no mercy!

I love reloading, ususlly try to do that as a winter time project. I spent a lot of money retooling here in the last year because I hadn’t reloaded in about 15 years. Now I’ve got everything except for .35 whelen improved dies and 348 and 358 bullets.

With my son shooting a lot more we go through a lot of ammo if I let him. And I try to let him as much as we can because I want him to get as much practice as he can. I also bought a Savage axis in .223 so we can practice with cheaper ammo in a gun that’s very similar to what we deer hunt with.
i still have some dies, etc... 8mm Mauser... and rounds my Dad had reloaded for it...

My dad has had 3 or 4, nothing to mess with, doctor said if you feel sick or anything go to er could possibly die, another buddy did almost die from not getting hernia taken care of. Something like strangulation then sepsis. He barely survived and had some intestine removed.
neighbor across the street died from it. sepsis... i have his yard tractor kids put out to curb clearing out his estate..

on a Wednesday aftn he was mowing with it, i saw him in front yard... Thurs felt bad, Fri went to 911, Saturday morning he was dead!

:yes: 👎

Well, a truck came for the construction lumber I milled out, so I loaded it up for him and I was glad to see it go!

Resized-20220817-163215-S.jpg

Then I loaded an old oak log on the mill and made some 4x4's for me,

Resized-20220819-115649-S.jpg

I cut a couple of them off with the Husky 550xp, because I needed them a bit shorter, for a little project I'm working on,

Resized-20220819-134607-S.jpg

Now I have a way to easily carry looong poles when I want to haul them! (or my canoe)

SR
nice work! thx for sharing the foto essay...

Here it is oak,hickory, pecan, the hardest is Brazilian Walnut, that I have worked with.
All oak is softer than Hickory.
i did not realize that. i have items in both oak and hickory... my LR fireplace mantle is a custom piece in walnut wood stained in watco dark walnut... pro made. i sanded and stained... been in place for over 40 years...

Hardness and Durability
As the hardest domestic wood, hickory obviously outshines both red and white oak in terms of durability. Softer woods may dent or scratch beneath careless footfalls, but hickory is more likely to withstand the abuse. This makes it an ideal choice in homes with a lot of activity and traffic.

heck of a find! looks like he dined down to the last bone! no other bones from skeleton?
A few scattered around. The deer either died shortly after the rut due to loss of fat from fighting and breeding. Then got burried after a big snow. Last November was extremely cold. One of the coldest I can remember. Then the bear may have found it under the snow this spring or ambushed the deer last fall. Usually a bear will burrie a fresh kill, sleep on it, and let it get good and ripe for a few days before eating it. A big bear would consume a deer in one ore two meals. Hard to say exactly what happened. One thing is certain. The deer met his demise before shedding his antlers. Bears get fawns quite often. Mature buck's? Not so much!

I have a NX4510HST and the rear lift is 3,177. The loader is here in the photo. With the proper ballast I have no problem lifting the totes in the picture I posted. That wood is all dried hardwood. View attachment 1011290
I think our 600 series Ford is 1250 or 1750 for the 3 pt hitch. 1 28"x 10'6" popple log was about its max anymore and front end is off the ground, we were using 3pt pallet forks to move logs around

I believe In Vermont you Have to be able to present evidence (usually written) to law enforcement if they find you cutting wood, picking up/transporting wood/rocks from the side of the roads from someone else's property. The fine is up to $3,000.00 for wood. Rocks on the other hand = felony + fine and jail time.

Good morning fellas. It’s my son’s 15th birthday today so he’s having a couple buddies over later for barbecue and boating. I need to run to town in a bit and buy stuff to make a cake for him.
Have fun, tell him happy birthday from Michigan :rock:.
We'll be doing that 15 this year too, the boy is already a slight bit under 6'. Those Norwegian folks out of Northern Minnesota produce some tall offspring lol. Wife's 100% Norwegian.

We are in a drought right now so the rain barrel that gets water via a gutter on a 10-10 shed is low. I use that for the chicken water's . Water is low so lots of mice are decimating peoples gardens and eating all the fruit on trees. I have set up some 5 gallon bucket traps and get a few. I ferment mash for the chickens using apple cider vinegar and the other day it was low with only some liquid showing, the next morning I had the jonestown massacre for mice. there were 22in the bucket overnight.
mice.jpg

Latest posts

Back