Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grease my bars, not sure if it does anything or not, usually after a hard weekend of cutting, alot of my cutting is flush with the dirt and alot of brush clearing that way I'm good to go for next time. One of those Lil bar greaser tools probly lasts me 7 years or more I do religiously grease the roller-nose bars on my Remingtons from the 60's when I take them out to play in the woods.
It's always better to grease bearings IMHO. I always put air tool oil in my 90s and impacts and all other air tools. I know barely anybody does it. Does it increase the life of it...who knows but grease and oil is cheap to I figure what the heck it cant hurt.

I'm of the "never oil/grease it" camp. I'm mostly a Stihl guy nowadays, and the Stihl bars don't even have the grease holes. I figure if the oiler is keeping up with the bar, it's probably getting all the lube it needs.
If a person cleans the rails out on thier saw bar with a horse shoe nail or some other thin pointy piece if metal every time he takes his chain off when swapping out chains. The tip should be getting plenty of bar oil for lubrication. Especially if the oiler's suction valve is opened all the way up! 👍 If you are hand filing and not swapping out ground chains. Then the rails should be cleaned out at the end of every work day or every eight hours. I've never greased a saw tip and they most often last the life span of the bar with just the bar oil fir lube. However. They only last if you religiously clean the rails out at the end of every work day or chain swap! 😉

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

We are in a drought right now so the rain barrel that gets water via a gutter on a 10-10 shed is low. I use that for the chicken water's . Water is low so lots of mice are decimating peoples gardens and eating all the fruit on trees. I have set up some 5 gallon bucket traps and get a few. I ferment mash for the chickens using apple cider vinegar and the other day it was low with only some liquid showing, the next morning I had the jonestown massacre for mice. there were 22in the bucket overnight.
View attachment 1011630
🤔 What are mice pelt price's on the fur market these days? 😂😉

If a person cleans the rails out on thier saw bar with a horse shoe nail or some other thin pointy piece if metal every time he takes his chain off when swapping out chains. The tip should be getting plenty of bar oil for lubrication. Especially if the oiler's suction valve is opened all the way up! 👍 If you are hand filing and not swapping out ground chains. Then the rails should be cleaned out at the end of every work day or every eight hours. I've never greased a saw tip and they most often last the life span of the bar with just the bar oil fir lube. However. They only last if you religiously clean the rails out at the end of every work day or chain swap! 😉

Yeah, I've always cleaned the bar rails on a regular basis. For that matter, I clean the saw on a regular basis too.

I run the oiler wide open on most of my saws, the one exception is probably my ms400. I've got the HO461 oiler guts inside of it and I have to turn it down when I'm running a 25" light on it.

After porting that saw and upgrading the oiler, I could run a 32" on it if I so desired. I have the 500i and the 044 hybrids/big bores for that, but the thought of running a 32" on a powerhead that weighs 1.5lbs lighter than a 044(and makes noticeably more power than a stock 044) does sound pretty appealing sometimes.

I found evidence that I believe was a deer/bear encounter up on my property several years ago.

There was a patch of ground with adult deer hair in it about 5' by 8" and several broken off little trees (up to 1.25").

I searched but could not find any other parts of the deer.

Based on the evidence, I believe a bear was going through the woods and caught the deer bedded down.

Judging by the broken trees there must have been a heck of a struggle.

There were 11 of us up at the cabin for the WE, and we utilized both gun cabinets,

My Granddaughter finds interesting places to eat her lunch!

Attachments

• GunCabinet1-2on08-21-2022.jpg
    GunCabinet1-2on08-21-2022.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
  • GunCabinet2of2on08-21-22.jpg
    GunCabinet2of2on08-21-22.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220820_093608859.jpg
    IMG_20220820_093608859.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220821_101515753_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220821_101515753_HDR.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
We cooked outside, split wood, shot guns, hiked and had a good time.

Note that we use Bluestone to protect the coffee pot handles from the flames.

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_071239947.jpg
    IMG_20220821_071239947.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220821_071255123_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220821_071255123_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220821_090949772_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220821_090949772_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220821_101525438_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220821_101525438_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220821_101600158_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220821_101600158_HDR.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220821_101613009_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220821_101613009_HDR.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0

At least one of the Stihl raker filing gauges has hooks on one end specifically for cleaning the bar rails. Usually one swipe will do it. Mine fits both wide and narrow gauge chain.

Does the blue stone wick the excess heat to keep that cast iron from overheating?
Yes, Bluestone absorbs heat quite well.

It is a flat, fairly soft, puros stone. The only place in the world that has it are that part of NY and PA. Bluestone mining and Logging are big industries up there, especially as the farming has receded. Mostly Hard Maple, Ash, Black Cherry, and Red Oak. There are also some Birch and Beech, but I never see any White Oak, Chestnut Oak, Tulip or Hickory up there, all of which are fairly common down here. Logging is generally only trees over 14" diameter, there is no clear cutting.

It is ideal for walkways, steps and patios because you will not slip when it is wet. It is also very commonly used for windowsills and fireplace mantles.

In my old (small) cabin I have two pieces of it against the wall where the woodstove is. I tell folks I have "real sheetrock"!

That looks nice bet that heats the place up. I know that would work at my in laws place up north for sure.
Yea looking for something small and non catalytic since I have alot of popple to burn. The N-S loading will be easier for the wife to maintain a fire in. Looks like a place in Standish is a dealer for jotol stoves I will stop and see. Some wood burners I looked at have 6-12mo delivery time

CAT 1 3 points hitches are rated all over the board, depending on the brand/size tractor, they can be rated from several hundred to several thousands of pounds lift.

SR
Well, that was a time consuming mess. I would have sworn my tractor was a CAT 1 but it's Italian and looking through literature I couldn't find a CAT rating, just 1900 kg or 4188 lbs lift which sounded too high. Looking through some old pictures I saw CAT 2 stamped on the arms. It's been a while since I bought any implements but I think the balls come with different size holes for CAT 1 or CAT 2 implements.

PB070007.JPGP6050009.JPGPB070021.JPG

At least one of the Stihl raker filing gauges has hooks on one end specifically for cleaning the bar rails. Usually one swipe will do it. Mine fits both wide and narrow gauge chain.
Good to know! 👍 I didn't know that the Stihl raker gage had a rail cleaner on it!

I'm almost done with the pile. All of it has been straight and fairly knot free except for the crappy stuff on the bottom. I misjudged the amount of wood vs. storage space and should have all or almost all of the front row open for a handful of small trees I want to take down on my property and some oaks a neighbor 3 doors down wants removed.

P8180022.JPG
P8220032.JPG

Back