Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to me like ammo prices will be going down in the near future, check out the prices and the comments below.
Here's a link to the latest ad the seller sent me, you can look on his website from there for other calibers/brands.
https://www.sgammo.com/prvi-partizan-ammo-arrivals-and-closeout-sale-0View attachment 1011633View attachment 1011634View attachment 1011635View attachment 1011638
Interesting, I sure hope so! All the price gouging and people paying way too much for everything is getting out of control. It has to levelize at some point.

And for the life of me I cannot imagine people paying more for used vehicles than for new ones. Especially when you can get a new one in a few months.

Interesting, I sure hope so! All the price gouging and people paying way too much for everything is getting out of control. It has to levelize at some point.

And for the life of me I cannot imagine people paying more for used vehicles than for new ones. Especially when you can get a new one in a few months.
Crazy times for sure.
While I think certain things will level out and even drop drastically in price, others unfortunately will only go up more as availability decreases and demand increases. This country has lived too long on products made outside it's boarders and transferred so much of the very infrastructure that made America what it once was to them, that it will take many painful yrs to get things back to where they once were. Oh, I'm definitely not talking about "building back better":buttkick:.

Far as the car market goes, it's obsurd! I just hit Bambi a few Sundays ago with my 98 Honda odyssey, needs a new headlight and turn signal housing, a battery(although it's still working), and the radiator core support pulled out along with the hood straightened a bit. I had been hoping to sell it this late summer/ early fall and replace it with a newer/nicer project(I was hoping for a 07-08 Honda Pilot) that needed some repairs as this one is finally starting to show some rust. But with the current prices I'll probably be driving it at least thru this winter, which isn't a bad thing. It now has 275k on it and I just had it in eastern PA last month, it's actually been one of my favorite vehicles. Yesterday I put 50 miles on it hauling my boys quad to a buddies in a 4x8 trailer, much better than the excursion on fuel :laugh:.

Happy birthday svk jnr!

I split some of the horrid gnarly Oak. Picked up the 8lb Stihl cleave hammer and was surprised to find it split 2/3rds of the stuff I tried, so the 'to be blocked up' pile may not grow quite as big as i'd feared.... Or I got lucky with the dozen bits I went at.

Still have two nice Red Oaks down this summer due to storms to finish cutting, hauling, splitting and stacking. But, it's too stinking hot and humid for serious work - at least for me. But, I have done some walk about with Scout and marked a dozen standing dead Red Oaks and a pair of white oaks for when the weather settles down. We mark our targets this time of year, makes them easier to find mid winter:

IMG_1407.jpg

This one has a natural fall line in a perfectly safe direction. I have two lightning struck Reds that I will line and steer to avoid risk to my garage, and one dead Red that I'll line and steer away from a shed. Weather can't cool by about 40° any too soon for me.

1/2 a tank full through the 365 today and blocked up the pile of huge crotches and gnarlies into easily manageable pieces and 7 wheelbarrow loads later most is shifted to the back garden. I've still 2-3 'barrow loads to move but it was late so they can wait. I've left the totally horrid, will just need blocking up with the 'saw stuff in the hope some foolish person knocks again and asks if they can have some wood 😂
tbh I'll be pleased if I can split 1/2 the stuff i've shifted, its horrid, it really is....but its as easy to run the 'saw and block up as it is to run it off to the tip, and I get the heat back at least, so its a PITA but t gets blocked up
knowing I probably don't have much more cutting to do this year and needing mix I mixed just a litre (metric quart) . I feel nervous mixing small amounts as a couple of ml of oil changes the ratio so much, but i err on too much oil for safety. Although I could need to mix at least another litre yet, I'm not good at estimating fuel use when it comes to blocking up other than its lot more than bucking logs to rounds.

I'm glad I've got the wood stacks full, the latest prediction for our gas and electricity prices is 6 times higher than it was last year. I reckoned it took me 4.5+ winters to pay back my investment in 2 stoves, the installs, 2 chainsaws, PPE, multiple axes and mauls, chimney brushes, companion sets and any other bits. if the predictions are right I'd save s much again in just the coming winter.

Quick saw.bar question. I've never bothered before but my husky bar has a lube hole for the nose sprocket. Oil or grease? and easiest way to do? I'm thinking a syringe will probably work as well as a grease gun but...?

I'm of the "never oil/grease it" camp. I'm mostly a Stihl guy nowadays, and the Stihl bars don't even have the grease holes. I figure if the oiler is keeping up with the bar, it's probably getting all the lube it needs.

Well boys another scrounge less day for me. But I should have a tidy load of locust showing up tomorrow. As today is one of 2 days off before another 10 day work marathon, and my wife had off. We did our running around today. (Half rainy this morning.) Got a dozen peeps. Now I have to finish building the coop. (They will be in the house till they get a good bit bigger.) Tsc had them 50& off, so they were $2.00 each. Not sexed so dunno how many roosters we got in the mix. They didn't have any pine shaving there so I stopped at a closer place on the way home and grabbed a bale. Walked through their saw selection and they were fully loaded. (Had no pro saws 2 months ago.) Look what they had on the shelf! I almost walked out the door with it....View attachment 1007218
The salesman saw me and said it was the only one that they ordered that wasn't paid for already. They had 4 ms362, 2 ms400, one 500i and 661. Pretty sure the 661 was a non mtronic. Should have taken pics of that price tag, it was cheaper then the 500i, but not by much. There were various other saws there, for the little shop they are it was well stocked. (Same place I took my 562xp to get looked at.) They had a few husqy pro saws but nothing bigger then a 550xp. They didn't know when the next shipment from either company would arrive and the salesman told me the stihl shipment was a surprise with how much came in at once. It was nice ro see some new products on the shelf.
Nice, my local rural king has a couple, also have a few 400’s. I want one so bad but I’m wondering if it is enough of a step up from the 261 to justify it. I would hate to spend a 1,000 on a saw that would only make me leave the 261 at home. Don’t get me wrong I do everything I need with the 50cc but it would be nice to have the speed of a bigger saw in 20” wood. You only live once, you can get remarried as many time as you like! 😂

I stepped in a Yellow jacket nest a couple weeks ago. Got me 5 times on one ankle, 6 on the other. Got under the band on my sweat shorts, two on each hip. 3 around my belly button. One on butt, couple on each arm. Had one get trapped under the lens on my wrap around Oakleys. Threw them across the yard. I’m not allergic but those buggers hurt and itch forever. One week to the day I was at my place in WV. Was showing my neighbor how to parbuckle a log up on his band mill. Got into another nest and they got me 5-6 more times.
Bless your heart. My wife got hit the last two times mowing while I was weed eating. I saw her running with no shoes on and knew something wasn’t right. Her ankle stayed swelled for a week. Hope you heal up soon.

Nice, my local rural king has a couple, also have a few 400’s. I want one so bad but I’m wondering if it is enough of a step up from the 261 to justify it. I would hate to spend a 1,000 on a saw that would only make me leave the 261 at home. Don’t get me wrong I do everything I need with the 50cc but it would be nice to have the speed of a bigger saw in 20” wood. You only live once, you can get remarried as many time as you like! 😂
The 400 is so much different than the 261, in a good way. It's not going to replace a 50cc saw, but makes the 60cc saws almost obsolete IMO. It feels like the same weight as a 362, but runs so much stronger. I ended up doing some machine/port work to my wrap-handle 400, and it's easily my most used saw.

FWIW I don’t grease and I’ve never had a nose sprocket seize unless it received trauma. IME the rails will always wear out first.
I've done both and I have as you not really ever seen a difference. I have to also include that I don't do production falling and the bar is never buried in the wood for a long time. There's a variety of factors where I think it could make a difference and that is, all day everyday falling where the tip is consistently inside large diameter wood, the chain oil is not going to have the thickness and the ability to lubricate like the grease will. If your doing it at every tank it will force the crud out of the tip. And out west in very pitchy wood that nasty sticky sap will prevent the lubrication from entering bar tip. So I would think it its really situational in whether you see different results or not.

I think our 600 series Ford is 1250 or 1750 for the 3 pt hitch. 1 28"x 10'6" popple log was about its max anymore and front end is off the ground, we were using 3pt pallet forks to move logs around
not sure about your Ford, but most smaller tractors use a Cat 1 3-pt lift system. some can use either I or II implements as takes either size. for the Cat I 3-pt:

How much can a Category 1 3 point hitch lift?

Image result for what is lifting capacity for a cat 1 tractor 3 pt lift

1356 pounds

Category 1 3-point hitch for maximum implement versatility. Category 1 hitch allows quick hookup of 3-point hitch implements, especially when equipped with the iMatch™ Quick Hitch and/or iMatch AutoHitch™. The lift capacity of the 3-point hitch is 1356 pounds (615 kg) measured at 24 in. behind the hitch balls

I stepped in a Yellow jacket nest a couple weeks ago. Got me 5 times on one ankle, 6 on the other. Got under the band on my sweat shorts, two on each hip. 3 around my belly button. One on butt, couple on each arm. Had one get trapped under the lens on my wrap around Oakleys. Threw them across the yard. I’m not allergic but those buggers hurt and itch forever. One week to the day I was at my place in WV. Was showing my neighbor how to parbuckle a log up on his band mill. Got into another nest and they got me 5-6 more times.
Yikes if I got hit like that I might be in the ER
Crazy times for sure.
While I think certain things will level out and even drop drastically in price, others unfortunately will only go up more as availability decreases and demand increases. This country has lived too long on products made outside it's boarders and transferred so much of the very infrastructure that made America what it once was to them, that it will take many painful yrs to get things back to where they once were. Oh, I'm definitely not talking about "building back better":buttkick:.

Far as the car market goes, it's obsurd! I just hit Bambi a few Sundays ago with my 98 Honda odyssey, needs a new headlight and turn signal housing, a battery(although it's still working), and the radiator core support pulled out along with the hood straightened a bit. I had been hoping to sell it this late summer/ early fall and replace it with a newer/nicer project(I was hoping for a 07-08 Honda Pilot) that needed some repairs as this one is finally starting to show some rust. But with the current prices I'll probably be driving it at least thru this winter, which isn't a bad thing. It now has 275k on it and I just had it in eastern PA last month, it's actually been one of my favorite vehicles. Yesterday I put 50 miles on it hauling my boys quad to a buddies in a 4x8 trailer, much better than the excursion on fuel :laugh:.
Prices for trucks are insane. I thought when the price of gas went up prices would drop but no luck.

Finally got some rain today, no cutting and splitting but I will take the rain all day.

Yikes if I got hit like that I might be in the ER

Prices for trucks are insane. I thought when the price of gas went up prices would drop but no luck.

Finally got some rain today, no cutting and splitting but I will take the rain all day.
When I told my cousin about the stings he said he went half his life with no reaction to stings. Then one day he got hit several times by Yellow Jackets, and just kept working along. One of his guys who happened to be highly allergic, saw him and said, “Boss, we gotta get you to the hospital, you are having a reaction “ . By the time they got there his throat was tightening up. Now he Carrie’s an EPI pen. But from what I’ve heard, you can go from no reaction with one incident, to dead on the next. I should take them more seriously.

Dang! This project took forever to complete, but it's finally now done!

Resized-20220822-143823-S.jpg

It didn't leave me much time left to get anything else done today, but I did manage to skid a little firewood!

Resized-20220816-144322-S.jpg

I have a tractor job to go to tomorrow, so I'll have to get it cut up some another time...

SR

I've done both and I have as you not really ever seen a difference. I have to also include that I don't do production falling and the bar is never buried in the wood for a long time. There's a variety of factors where I think it could make a difference and that is, all day everyday falling where the tip is consistently inside large diameter wood, the chain oil is not going to have the thickness and the ability to lubricate like the grease will. If your doing it at every tank it will force the crud out of the tip. And out west in very pitchy wood that nasty sticky sap will prevent the lubrication from entering bar tip. So I would think it its really situational in whether you see different results or not.
Four generations and fifty years for me, and I’ve never greased a bar. In all of those years I had one nose on my favorite little Echo 305 climbing saw split. When I took it in to get a new bar I threw a tantrum that the saw never oiled right from day one. My dealer showed me where the adjustment screw was and I’ve never had another split. I was doing 40 hours a week, but on the East Coast we have mostly hard wood and the pitch isn’t much of a problem. If I got into a bunch of White Pines I’d wipe the bar down with mix periodically and hit it with spray on oil. Big thing for us was to use a full tank of oil to a full tank of mix. I don’t know about all day felling? We were a residential company and we’re not allowed to bring cranes, knuckle booms, or bucket trucks across yards. So we had to buck everything up in firewood length. I think we made many more cuts per log than guys cutting timber. I’m not saying what we did was harder, just different. We couldn’t drop a tree across a yard. We would clear one spot at the base of the tree and chunk the log down one piece at a time. When we left you couldn’t tell we had been there.

My tiny Kubota bx1870 3pt hitch lift is rated 992lbs at the pins.
My BIL has an 1850 and that little rascal does a full days work. My loader weighs a little over 3000 pounds and is bigger than his BX. Since I’ve gotten used to mine, when I borrowed his, I decided he needed some weights bad.

I grease my bars, not sure if it does anything or not, usually after a hard weekend of cutting, alot of my cutting is flush with the dirt and alot of brush clearing that way I'm good to go for next time. One of those Lil bar greaser tools probly lasts me 7 years or more I do religiously grease the roller-nose bars on my Remingtons from the 60's when I take them out to play in the woods.

Back