Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 85 Mitsubishi US Spec/sold MT372 D 15hp 4wd, i paid 1300 for, and a brand new County line 4' bush hog. (Used 4' were more than half price with more than half their life abused on them, so I bought new for 800 on sale otd.

I use it to build disc golf courses, and will drop alot of 2" to 4-5" trees with my RC-30 or chainsaw, then run over the brush, leaving a stem that might be 10-20' long, lots of Oak, Hickory and Pine, but its a good compromise to have to do a little by hand and the rest with the machine. General brush like Wax Myrtle, Beautyberry and native privet I can raise the deck, back into, and lower the deck.

I also use it to keep a 2 mile long fire break around my ranch land mowed about four times per year. It not fast, but it does the job well. Though its loud AF, two little ball peen hammers rapping on an anvil..... my wifes 50" Troy Bilt Big Red horse mows two acres of driveway and "Yard" at my ranch so much faster than if I were to use the Mitsu, and the irony is I only have 1500square feet of turf grass in the backyard at my house on the beach for the dogs to poop in, about four passes wide.

I sympathise you all you guys that need the bigger HP, and a FEL to go on them, even my little machina is 14' long with no FEL. I also have an ASV RC-30 that will push it over, and grapple up way more bruch than I can see past or get down the flyway I just opened up. (we dont leave the trees and brush in the flyways, you can't find or play from your lie if its in a stack of 4" trees) The ASV lays down the flyway, then the less manouverable Tractor mulches it all down.

Attachments

• Mitzi at Holland 8-18-20.jpg
    Mitzi at Holland 8-18-20.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 0
www.nsbdiscgolf.com scroll to the bottom of the page, Youtube hosts the 2 minute video of me and my volunteers using chainsaws, and clearing land- sorry no wheel barrows, or ammunition, or- fishing, but its been a while since I had anything to contribute, so I wanted to update my man card.

https://nsbdiscgolf.com/

KK, your posts on dangerous game make a lot of sense (common sense IMO).

Similar rules can be applied to brush busting. Anyone who had jumped feet first off a cliff into a water filled quarry knows the importance of keeping your feet together, if you don't your family jewels will let you know of your mistake very rapidly. Hitting water at speed can be very painful.

Branches and saplings are filled with fluid. Hitting them with high speed, small, fragile bullets just destroys them. Studies have shown that solid or FMJ bullets penetrate brush the best, but they are not suitable for hunting, so alternatives must be found. In general, increasing the size and hardness of your bullets and slowing them down will all improve your odds. Increased rifling spin will also give them more gyroscopic stability.

For hunting deer and other thin-skinned game, you must also have a bullet that will expand fairly easily. These factors, combined, have led me to choose the Barnes TSX (or TTSX) when possible, for my hunting.

Being lead free is an additional bonus that reduces any concerns about eating the meat (which is my purpose for hunting).

My grandfather also carried the M1 Carbine. He was an officer for D battalion of the 448th AA battalion. Although he was an officer he was never issued a 1911. I have a picture of him in Holland with the carbine. My assumption is since they were constantly moving heavy equipment the AA guns and what not the carbine was more compact and suitable for defending yourself but it not having the barrel length getting in the way.

KK, your posts on dangerous game make a lot of sense (common sense IMO).

Similar rules can be applied to brush busting. Anyone who had jumped feet first off a cliff into a water filled quarry knows the importance of keeping your feet together, if you don't your family jewels will let you know of your mistake very rapidly. Hitting water at speed can be very painful.

Branches and saplings are filled with fluid. Hitting them with high speed, small, fragile bullets just destroys them. Studies have shown that solid or FMJ bullets penetrate brush the best, but they are not suitable for hunting, so alternatives must be found. In general, increasing the size and hardness of your bullets and slowing them down will all improve your odds. Increased rifling spin will also give them more gyroscopic stability.

For hunting deer and other thin-skinned game, you must also have a bullet that will expand fairly easily. These factors, combined, have led me to choose the Barnes TSX (or TTSX) when possible, for my hunting.

Being lead free is an additional bonus that reduces any concerns about eating the meat (which is my purpose for hunting).
Yeah I agree with that. I know I've blasted through twigs and branches and brush with my .30.30 they were long known as brush guns like the .35 rem and the well known .45.70 which are all slower moving bullets. I've long had people give criticism for using the .30.30 to which you get a range of comments from people up and including...not enough power, not accurate enough, and the list goes on. I have shot quite a few deer now with it and none of them went anywhere all dropped in a pile. I think it could suffer if it was a longer shot. But in my opinion in upper Michigan you rarely get a shot or can see further than 75 yards in the woods at least the areas that I would expect to see deer in. I think allot of guys have a hard time judging distance and what they call a 500 yard shot is more realistically closer to a hundred yard shot that has been exaggerated by about 400 yards. I think it's more about knowing your gun, the ammo it likes, and getting out and testing those ammos before the season to know what you can do with your gun that really counts. Not the powder behind it at least in the case of deer. I understand moose and other big game are another animal that requires those bigger calibers.

Three different loads for the .416 Ruger cartridge. With a 9mm for size comparison. 👍

Left to right.
Hornady's 400gr DGX (Dangerous Game Expanding)
Swift's 400gr A-frame
Barns' 350gr TTSX
View attachment 1013192
Those high caliber 9mm are wicked!

You need a double barrel shotgun ;).

Jill has executive privilege now. Secret Service body guards that carry machine guns. How about that.
Right.
They carry ar14's 😆.
Can't believe ole Joe was talking to that union worker like that, the most popular pres in history 😏. Surprised they guy didn't blast him getting in his face like that, pretty rude, but I know it's frustrating for someone suffering from dementia when they feel they are being misunderstood.

Decided to take the ol' BX2200 for a spin this morning just to make Team Orange happy. Hourmeter reads 2,100 + change but it quit working for 4-5 years so I bet she's pushing 3,000. My father in law has beat that thing to a pulp over the last 20 years, but it just keeps on going.20220828_082334.jpg20220828_082432.jpg

Decided to take the ol' BX2200 for a spin this morning just to make Team Orange happy. Hourmeter reads 2,100 + change but it quit working for 4-5 years so I bet she's pushing 3,000. My father in law has beat that thing to a pulp over the last 20 years, but it just keeps on going.View attachment 1013300View attachment 1013301
I see you're not a fan of taking off and putting back on the mower deck either!!! What a PITA ass it is LOL! Well, taking it off isn't so bad, but putting the PTO shaft back on, while laying or crouching on the shop floor is just a royal pain to me! I've had mine off for about a month now, and really need to mow the lawn, but I just don't feel like putting the belly mower back on. Good little tractors though.

Well, you probably have more big game hunting experience that I do, best I can remember I've only shot 25 moose, including two in Ontario. I can't remember how many caribou, then there's bears, sheep a big truck load of blk. and white-tailed deer, and...

SR
All I am saying brother is heavier bullets traveling moderately slower tend to deflect less easily . It's a well known hunting fact , regardless of game animal within the hunt !

The M1 Garand is a 30-06 not a 30 caliber carbine like my father carried during WWII in the African and European theater.
Sorry no , both the M1 Grand Rifle and M1 Carbine .30 cal. (7.62 × 33mm) for the Carbine & ( 7.62 × 54) the Rifle . Weight 5.4 lbs loaded for the Carbine vs over 9 lbs for the Enfield which was my point of comparison with his Lee-Enfield !

I'm amazed at some of the answers here pertaining clearing brush from farmland, with a rotary cutter.

One poster said there were better ways that's cheaper. I'd like to know how that person would clear 5 acres of one-to-two-inch brush like this,

Resized-20220828-110758-S.jpg

and what that cheaper way would be that it would get done "this" centry!

Another comment said it was "abusing" the cutter, how is that happening when the cutter is rated to take out a steady diet of larger diameter brush/trees than one-to-two-inch?

Then there's the poster who said a different method would cut the brush closer to the ground. Closer to the ground than this??

Resized-20220828-110744-S.jpg

Only a shovel would get it any closer!! lol

My guess is, folks that never have done these things "think" they know more about this work, than those of us that been doing it for years and years!

SR

Latest posts

Back