Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My grandfather also carried the M1 Carbine. He was an officer for D battalion of the 448th AA battalion. Although he was an officer he was never issued a 1911. I have a picture of him in Holland with the carbine. My assumption is since they were constantly moving heavy equipment the AA guns and what not the carbine was more compact and suitable for defending yourself but it not having the barrel length getting in the way.
My father was in the 36th Combat Engineers. They carried carbines because the Garands were too cumbersome when building bridges, roads etc.

Wife took this my little outdoor spray booth . Truck cab I did inside the garage
I once bought a cheap, Walmart, 2-person tent at a garage sale. Posted it cheap on CL once I realized that I did not trust it enough to use.

Guy that bought it told me he was going to use it for a spray booth in his garage.

Philbert

Speaking of M1 carbines, they manufactured a pile of those during WWII in my home town of Saginaw, Mi. When I was in my teens, you could buy them any old day of the week from the classified section of the Saginaw News for $50.
The Harrington Richardson M1 Garands were made 8 miles from me in Worcester Mass.

My father was in the 36th Combat Engineers. They carried carbines because the Garands were too cumbersome when building bridges, roads etc.
I have to look it up but I'm pretty sure my wife's grandfather was in the 101st engineer's they did the same thing building roads and bridges. They helped build the bridge over the Rhine river I have pictures from both sides of the family from her grandfather building it and my grandfather driving over it.

P.S. The M1Garand was developed by fellow Cannuck (Quebec) John Garand who also created the 30-06 Springfield cartridge . The Marine Carbine I refer to had both 15 & 30 round clips vs the 8 round of the Infantry Rifle . My Uncle referred to it as a Marine Grade M1 Garand Carbine , so 50 yrs later that's my story brother lol.
The 30 carbine was designed by a guy named William's and two other men. It used a much smaller bullet than the 30-06. I use to own a Rockola carbine from WWII.

My Dad was a radio operator in the Tank Destroyers during WW-II so they issued him an M1Carbine. As they were in the open fields of France and later Germany, I asked him what the heck he did with it.

He responded: "First chance I got I traded it for an M1Gerand with someone who did not need his anymore". Unfortunately, I think there were a lot of them. My Dad was in both the Battle of the Hedge Rows and the Battle of the Bulge. He said the only reason we won is because we were able to keep replacing our troops, but the Germans ran out at the end of the war we ended up fighting against old men and kids (Hitler Youth).

KK, your posts on dangerous game make a lot of sense (common sense IMO).

Similar rules can be applied to brush busting. Anyone who had jumped feet first off a cliff into a water filled quarry knows the importance of keeping your feet together, if you don't your family jewels will let you know of your mistake very rapidly. Hitting water at speed can be very painful.

Branches and saplings are filled with fluid. Hitting them with high speed, small, fragile bullets just destroys them. Studies have shown that solid or FMJ bullets penetrate brush the best, but they are not suitable for hunting, so alternatives must be found. In general, increasing the size and hardness of your bullets and slowing them down will all improve your odds. Increased rifling spin will also give them more gyroscopic stability.

For hunting deer and other thin-skinned game, you must also have a bullet that will expand fairly easily. These factors, combined, have led me to choose the Barnes TSX (or TTSX) when possible, for my hunting. I

Being lead free is an additional bonus that reduces any concerns about eating the meat (which is my purpose for hunting).
Well put indeed! I agree on the brush busting!👍The TSX or TTSX are outstanding projectiles and I use them. As well as the NP and A-frame. I use them all! I don't use the Ballistic Tip or Sirocco simply because I don't take shots further than 300yrd when hunting. In fact, seldom are my shots over 200. Average is probably 70 or 80 when hunting Sitka Blacktail. If I ever hunt Dall Sheep I may have to take a 400 or 500yd shot though, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. My only complaint about the TSX is length of projectile to weight ratio. For example, a .338 250gr TSX sits to deep into the case. You can hand load them, but Barnes doesn't offer a 250gr TSX in a factory load for .338WM or a 200gr factory load in 30-06. Other than the whole length of bullet to weight. I fell the TSX is a Devastating hunting bullet! 👍 I use the 225gr TSX in my .338, when hunting deer on particular remote parts of the Island with heavy concentrations of bear. Rather than my .30-06 sometimes.

If one is looking for a do it all hunting bullet? Your going to have to find the do it all hunting rifle first! 😂 IMOP, Neither one of them exist! 😉

Hunt safe, stay sharp, and keep your wit's about you afield!👍

Yeah I agree with that. I know I've blasted through twigs and branches and brush with my .30.30 they were long known as brush guns like the .35 rem and the well known .45.70 which are all slower moving bullets. I've long had people give criticism for using the .30.30 to which you get a range of comments from people up and including...not enough power, not accurate enough, and the list goes on. I have shot quite a few deer now with it and none of them went anywhere all dropped in a pile. I think it could suffer if it was a longer shot. But in my opinion in upper Michigan you rarely get a shot or can see further than 75 yards in the woods at least the areas that I would expect to see deer in. I think allot of guys have a hard time judging distance and what they call a 500 yard shot is more realistically closer to a hundred yard shot that has been exaggerated by about 400 yards. I think it's more about knowing your gun, the ammo it likes, and getting out and testing those ammos before the season to know what you can do with your gun that really counts. Not the powder behind it at least in the case of deer. I understand moose and other big game are another animal that requires those bigger calibers.
The 30-30 has probably killed more deer in history than any other cartridge. However, it may be a close three way tie with the 06 and .22LR for the title on "cartridge that's killed the most deer" Hard to say!👍

NOTHING that you can put up to your shoulder and fire, punches through brush ACCURATELY, nothing!

SR
I strongly disagree! 👎 There are way to many factors to make a statement like that Sir. It all depends on how much brush between you and the game animal! Type of cartridge, type and weight of projectile. One, two, or three alder limbs is a whole lot different than an entire alder thicket! Also,☝️ distance between limbs, size of limbs, and angles of impact on limbs. All play a huge part in bullet deflection! I would suspect a hunter with all your experience. Who has shot 25 Moose, so many caribou, so many bears, so many sheep, so many deer, so many... Would know that! 👍

P.S. You eat a lot of meat don't you!! 😂🤣😂🤣

Yeah I agree with that. I know I've blasted through twigs and branches and brush with my .30.30 they were long known as brush guns like the .35 rem and the well known .45.70 which are all slower moving bullets. I've long had people give criticism for using the .30.30 to which you get a range of comments from people up and including...not enough power, not accurate enough, and the list goes on. I have shot quite a few deer now with it and none of them went anywhere all dropped in a pile. I think it could suffer if it was a longer shot. But in my opinion in upper Michigan you rarely get a shot or can see further than 75 yards in the woods at least the areas that I would expect to see deer in. I think allot of guys have a hard time judging distance and what they call a 500 yard shot is more realistically closer to a hundred yard shot that has been exaggerated by about 400 yards. I think it's more about knowing your gun, the ammo it likes, and getting out and testing those ammos before the season to know what you can do with your gun that really counts. Not the powder behind it at least in the case of deer. I understand moose and other big game are another animal that requires those bigger calibers.
Well said indeed IMOP! 👍

Hmmm a chainsaw chase underway perhaps? I suspect it'll come to nothing but....
1. I decided the Echo i had seen on the bay of e wasn't for me. Probably just needing a good clean and a carb service to have a light use saw but the seller is selling loads of outdoor work equipment like job lots of road signs, temporary traffic lights and so on which to my mind marks him down as a dealer and will want too much, and the BIN price is£70+ too high. So I go in to eBay yesterday and take it off my watch list.
2. While there I....browsed. always a dangerous move.
3. Having been incredibly lucky with my Makita ea4300 (dolmar 410) I decide to try my luck again.... And up pops a perfect saw. A not even run in, turn my 43cc/71cc 2 saw plan into a 43/56/71 3 saw plan..... Been listed 2 days, no bids and half the brand new price.
4. I'm now the highest bidder
5. Fairly sure I'll get outbid but maybe my Makita luck will win out
6. Today I get an offer on the Echo. It's still £40+ overpriced but maybe the seller isn't as unrealistic as I'd first thought....I prefer the Makita though.
7. We've a week to wait.... Unless I get outbid early.
8. Tbh, I don't have a clue what is do with the saw if I had it....I don't need a 3 saw plan! 🤣
So what model is the 56cc saw? Don’t let ‘need’ get in the way of CAD, the correct number of saws you need is n + 1.
I’m currently on the 4 saw plan but looking to add another too.

@Cowboy254. Cake or Beer 🍺 or both today? :laugh: Happy Birthday mate. Have a good one.

Thanks for the birthday wishes fellers. The Cowfamily did make a cake but my favourite one was this one from a few years ago. Even had a spider on the far end of the log.

28th Aug 2.jpg

The 30 carbine was designed by a guy named William's and two other men. It used a much smaller bullet than the 30-06. I use to own a Rockola carbine from WWII.
As I said previously 7.62 x 33 mm shot over a few 1000 rounds out of the M1 carbine . Not much more punch than a hot loaded 357 Magnums , that's why the military hated it in the jungles , couldn't ' punch through the brush . Great for urban warfare lol.

That is a nice looking saw.
Does doesn't it. I could be wrong but the listing gives me a good/honest feel. Description says used for 4*2hour sessions but seller now thinks his leccy saw is sufficient. I'm guessing that's 4 tankfulls. And a combination of no longer getting big wood/discovered big wood is harder than they thought/seller getting on in age maybe/our raging inflation causing people to sell unused assets.

I've not bid high though, I don't need the saw, I'm just trying to snare a bargain. I've not had a big Google too see the cheapest I can find them new but first listing I found was £560 iirc and think that was without the metal travel case.

Does doesn't it. I could be wrong but the listing gives me a good/honest feel. Description says used for 4*2hour sessions but seller now thinks his leccy saw is sufficient. I'm guessing that's 4 tankfulls. And a combination of no longer getting big wood/discovered big wood is harder than they thought/seller getting on in age maybe/our raging inflation causing people to sell unused assets.

I've not bid high though, I don't need the saw, I'm just trying to snare a bargain. I've not had a big Google too see the cheapest I can find them new but first listing I found was £560 iirc and think that was without the metal travel case.
That is something to take into account. Cases and accessories really add up.

Back