Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see you're not a fan of taking off and putting back on the mower deck either!!! What a PITA ass it is LOL! Well, taking it off isn't so bad, but putting the PTO shaft back on, while laying or crouching on the shop floor is just a royal pain to me! I've had mine off for about a month now, and really need to mow the lawn, but I just don't feel like putting the belly mower back on. Good little tractors though.
She goes on in the spring and stays there until the snows' flying, unless Dad runs over something and rips the front mounts off it, which has happened more than once I'm afraid to say.

The M1 Garand is a 30-06 not a 30 caliber carbine like my father carried during WWII in the African and European theater.
P.S. The M1Garand was developed by fellow Cannuck (Quebec) John Garand who also created the 30-06 Springfield cartridge . The Marine Carbine I refer to had both 15 & 30 round clips vs the 8 round of the Infantry Rifle . My Uncle referred to it as a Marine Grade M1 Garand Carbine , so 50 yrs later that's my story brother lol.

KK, your posts on dangerous game make a lot of sense (common sense IMO).

Similar rules can be applied to brush busting. Anyone who had jumped feet first off a cliff into a water filled quarry knows the importance of keeping your feet together, if you don't your family jewels will let you know of your mistake very rapidly. Hitting water at speed can be very painful.

Branches and saplings are filled with fluid. Hitting them with high speed, small, fragile bullets just destroys them. Studies have shown that solid or FMJ bullets penetrate brush the best, but they are not suitable for hunting, so alternatives must be found. In general, increasing the size and hardness of your bullets and slowing them down will all improve your odds. Increased rifling spin will also give them more gyroscopic stability.

For hunting deer and other thin-skinned game, you must also have a bullet that will expand fairly easily. These factors, combined, have led me to choose the Barnes TSX (or TTSX) when possible, for my hunting.

Being lead free is an additional bonus that reduces any concerns about eating the meat (which is my purpose for hunting).
Time proven facts Mike , well stated Sir !

I see you're not a fan of taking off and putting back on the mower deck either!!! What a PITA ass it is LOL! Well, taking it off isn't so bad, but putting the PTO shaft back on, while laying or crouching on the shop floor is just a royal pain to me! I've had mine off for about a month now, and really need to mow the lawn, but I just don't feel like putting the belly mower back on. Good little tractors though.
Put the back end up on 6x6 blocks or car ramps, disconnect the pto from betweenthe wheels, then remove the ramps or blocks and disconnect the deck.
Much easier :yes:.

Speaking of M1 carbines, they manufactured a pile of those during WWII in my home town of Saginaw, Mi. When I was in my teens, you could buy them any old day of the week from the classified section of the Saginaw News for $50.
Same here, and cheap SKS's :happybanana:.
The last SKS's I bought cash was 125, that was a few days ago lol.

Speaking of M1 carbines, they manufactured a pile of those during WWII in my home town of Saginaw, Mi. When I was in my teens, you could buy them any old day of the week from the classified section of the Saginaw News for $50.
Yeah , they were a dime a dozen . In the early 60 's every hardware store had a few . Along with a few Ross rifles & Lee Enfields all nice & reconditioned. A buddy of mine had the M1 he had it resighted to a peep and would bring it coyote hunting . I would shoot my 22 Hornet also with a peep sight . Lots of fun plinking back in the day as teenagers lol.

Same here, and cheap SKS's :happybanana:.
The last SKS's I bought cash was 125, that was a few days ago lol.
If it is the SKS-45 model I saw one back in the late 80's at a gun show . I mistakenly thought it was a 1st gen AK-47 ...Wrong !

If it is the SKS-45 model I saw one back in the late 80's at a gun show . I mistakenly thought it was a 1st gen AK-47 ...Wrong !
I've had many of both. Some sky's( edit, spellcheck got me, meant sks's) were modified to use an AK mag, pretty cool. There are so many variations of the sks it's a crapshoot to know whether you are getting a good one unless you know what they are. An original Tula version is a nice find, but the copies are everywhere. I'd rather stick to my AR's, much more refined and bulk ammo is still easy to get.
Speaking of Tula, been wanting to snag up some of these for the 700ADL, probably do alright for woodchucks at 50yrds 🤣.

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 5.21.46 PM.png

I've had many of both. Some sky's( edit, spellcheck got me, meant sks's) were modified to use an AK mag, pretty cool. There are so many variations of the sks it's a crapshoot to know whether you are getting a good one unless you know what they are. An original Tula version is a nice find, but the copies are everywhere. I'd rather stick to my AR's, much more refined and bulk ammo is still easy to get.
Speaking of Tula, been wanting to snag up some of these for the 700ADL, probably do alright for woodchucks at 50yrds 🤣.

View attachment 1013362
Yeah , numerous versions . The current AR platform is farm superior for your purposes . Any Military firearm is designed for one purpose , seriously wounding the enemy . Clean kills are often counter productive . As impressive as the AK-47 technology was at the time no full auto firearm fills my want list lol.

Hmmm a chainsaw chase underway perhaps? I suspect it'll come to nothing but....
1. I decided the Echo i had seen on the bay of e wasn't for me. Probably just needing a good clean and a carb service to have a light use saw but the seller is selling loads of outdoor work equipment like job lots of road signs, temporary traffic lights and so on which to my mind marks him down as a dealer and will want too much, and the BIN price is£70+ too high. So I go in to eBay yesterday and take it off my watch list.
2. While there I....browsed. always a dangerous move.
3. Having been incredibly lucky with my Makita ea4300 (dolmar 410) I decide to try my luck again.... And up pops a perfect saw. A not even run in, turn my 43cc/71cc 2 saw plan into a 43/56/71 3 saw plan..... Been listed 2 days, no bids and half the brand new price.
4. I'm now the highest bidder
5. Fairly sure I'll get outbid but maybe my Makita luck will win out
6. Today I get an offer on the Echo. It's still £40+ overpriced but maybe the seller isn't as unrealistic as I'd first thought....I prefer the Makita though.
7. We've a week to wait.... Unless I get outbid early.
8. Tbh, I don't have a clue what is do with the saw if I had it....I don't need a 3 saw plan! 🤣

Yeah , numerous versions . The current AR platform is farm superior for your purposes . Any Military firearm is designed for one purpose , seriously wounding the energy . Clean kills are often counter productive . As impressive as the AK-47 technology was at the time no full auto firearm fills my want list lol.

Wait, what are my purposes :cool:.
I have no need for auto myself, but they are fun to play with now and then. A true auto AK cost a handsome price here, I know spending that kind of cash wouldn't serve my purposes lol.

Yeah , numerous versions . The current AR platform is farm superior for your purposes . Any Military firearm is designed for one purpose , seriously wounding the enemy . Clean kills are often counter productive . As impressive as the AK-47 technology was at the time no full auto firearm fills my want list lol.
Hey , a 22-250 Remington on woodchuck up to 400 yards would really paint the fence Red Brett , very little noise or recoil too :blob2:

:rolleyes:Wait, what are my purposes :cool:.
I have no need for auto myself, but they are fun to play with now and then. A true auto AK cost a handsome price here, I know spending that kind of cash wouldn't serve my purposes lol.
Especially with the price of building materials & diesel fuel still so high .:crazy2:

Hey , a 22-250 Remington on woodchuck up to 400 yards would really paint the fence Red Brett , very little noise or recoil too :blob2:
I had a chipmunk on the back porch steps, couldn't even use the scope as it was only about 8' away, just eyeballed it out the window, and boom :oops::eek::surprised3:. I had to get the hose out for that one lol.
Shot a lot of 22-250 as a kid, one of the handful of guns my dad has that I'd want, he has a lot, more than I have chainsaws :laugh:.
Especially with the price of building materials & diesel fuel still so high .:crazy2:
That ain't no joke. I was just thinking of how much I spent just on the steel for the roof, soffits, and fascia :dizzy:. Crazier yet is that most likely it will keep going higher. Last yr when I bought it all it had stabilized at 4.25 a ft for the roof material, not sure where it's at today, bit I ned a lot of feet to finish the walls :envy::envy::envy::envy:.

I had a chipmunk on the back porch steps, couldn't even use the scope as it was only about 8' away, just eyeballed it out the window, and boom :oops::eek::surprised3:. I had to get the hose out for that one lol.

That ain't no joke. I was just thinking of how much I spent just on the steel for the roof, soffits, and fascia :dizzy:. Crazier yet is that most likely it will keep going higher. Last yr when I bought it all it had stabilized at 4.25 a ft for the roof material, not sure where it's at today, bit I ned a lot of feet to finish the walls :envy::envy::envy::envy:.
Remind me to notify all the red & black squirrels at hunting camp in case you & Tex fly in . I can see it all now , Tex with his double action 45's & you with your sawed off carriage gun wreaking havoc within the oak blowdowns ! :blob2: P.S. I will give you an update on the gun metal grey & charcoal metal sideing pricing ballooning . Heading to the Mennonites with the diesel & backhoe float for a pickup with my Son next week , only thing worse than the current price of diesel has to be metal. :rare2:

aRemind me to notify all the red & black squirrels at hunting camp in case you & Tex fly in . I can see it all now , Tex with his double action 45's & you with your sawed off carriage gun wreaking havoc within the oak blowdowns ! :blob2: P.S. I will give you an update on the gun metal grey & charcoal metal sideing pricing ballooning . Heading to the Mennonites with diesel & backhoe float for a pickup with my Son next week , only think worse than the current price of diesel has to be metal. :rare2:
Let me know when you're heading down here to deer camp(if you are this yr) and maybe I'll make it up there for some plinking, everyone likes that around deer season :ices_rofl:. Heading out back with the tractor, a saw is almost a guarantee that the deer will be out, add a gun and they probably won't be.
My guess is it hasn't come down :rare2:. I checked with the Amish and Mennonites here and there prices were close or more, so I bought from the "Englishman"lol.

Did some paint work on my truck today . Got a call from my buddy who owns the horse farm where I get wood . Needs 4 more oaks taken down . He’s putting an access road in from the upper field to the lower . Easy takedowns . Wanted me to come down today but I was in the middle of paint 04F790D2-F23D-453B-9760-F60F11729B15.jpeg123B5A1C-0CCC-4C48-AF1F-6E3813D36DF7.jpegF6A8A9E8-F6AE-41E7-948C-3B71725E6B5B.jpegA1623A97-09BD-4C61-8009-DBB08A8251C2.jpegA94F2E33-E6EA-4DB9-9EE6-1CADC4893424.jpegA30FA133-1457-4B6A-A32C-E6C2AF423196.jpeg5FEF0D2A-4711-4C1D-8EEE-8608AB9F2836.jpeg6713E293-197F-47E6-AA7C-68F0075B2F90.jpeg

The M1 Garand! 👍 A truly iconic and historic all American battle rifle!!!

I have two different model's of the M1A for more practical purposes. However, one day I will have a Garand in my gun locker and look forward to firing it ! 😉
I have a Springfield M1 Garand. I did own a Springfield NMM1A with a stainless barrel. Great rifle but I never used it. I had that huge Springfield range finding scope on it.

Latest posts

Back