Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a couple of hours of wood splitting for a friend yesterday, gave my splitter a tough time!

In addition to White Birch and Red Maple (both easy) he had a lot of Honey Locust, and one of the Ys stopped my splitter (first time any wood has).

Then he had a bunch of Elm. My splitter would split it, but it was so slow I told him I would come back after it was dryer! It was just a waste of time playing with that stringy stuff!
Hope your feeling better brother , out here at moose camp still . Bow season . Have 2 bulls & cow with calf , responding to calls . Sighted in the Weatherby with the new Barnes . Awesome ballistics as you previously mentioned . So if these moose don't get within 30-50 yds . The Weatherby comes out next Saturday morning of Rifle opener lol. Stay well bud !

Dropped a 22” walnut for a friend today. We ( 3 of us ) got it all cut up and split then stacked for him. He is new to heating with firewood, actually still installing his stove. Put tank 6 through the 400 and it still makes me smile. Although I almost blowed through my hinge on the far side, I will blame it on the saw running really good but most likely my own fault as I’m not used to it yet. Anyway, no damage done everyone is safe and my buddy now has almost a cord of great hardwood for later on down the road.
You do good work, Sir.

I've had guns like that 99 percent of the time I have to mess around with ammo. I have a slug gun that hates Hornandy SSTs with a passion slings them all over the place tumbling you name it. I put cheapy federal sabots in it and it's like a tack driver. And I went through quite a few kinds to figure it out. I know not everyone wants to do that but usually that's what it is.

Mosins in what I've experienced are ok plinkers but in high caliber it's like my SKS they were designed to be super cheap and send rounds downrange. I know people in Alaska use them all the time for hunting but I dont know what the success rate is for shots fired. I seen a guy here at the range that had an SKS trying to sight it in for deer season. And however I dont know everyone's predicament and what money they have maybe that's all he had to feed his family. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, however if you were buying a gun to feed your family and to make an ethical kill on an animal and at the time I seen this SKSs were let's say 400 bucks. I do believe that there were better guns including cheap combos skope and rifle that could have been bought at the time that would do both of those jobs better. IMHO there are fun guns, and there are hunting guns. If someone is in a financial predicament and you need to feed your family you buy a hunting gun not a fun gun. I own a SKS they are fun to blow up pumpkins and watermelons with....but it's a lead slinger and not to be confused with a accurate rifle.

Very beautiful, my wife has lost her red hair, was also strawberry blond from her health issues. But I always loved her red hair and always fought against the bigoted comments she would get from people. Love it and hope you guys have a wonderful day.
The secret to finding a good Mosin is by checking the bore diameter and matching your rounds to the barrel. If the end of the barrel is worn a simple .323 reamer can fix that in a jiffy. I have a Remington Mosin with a .313 bore go from shooting 12 inch groups at 100 yards down to 2 inch groups by hand loading .312 bullets for it. I also have a Finnish M27 dated 1932 that outshot a guy with his $3000 scoped heavy barrelled Remington .308 at a hundred yards. He was so mad at my $100 rifle that he packed his rifle up and left the range. That was back in 97 - 98 and I loved it. He made my day.

The secret to finding a good Mosin is by checking the bore diameter and matching your rounds to the barrel. If the end of the barrel is worn a simple .323 reamer can fix that in a jiffy. I have a Remington Mosin with a .313 bore go from shooting 12 inch groups at 100 yards down to 2 inch groups by hand loading .312 bullets for it. I also have a Finnish M27 dated 1932 that outshot a guy with his $3000 scoped heavy barrelled Remington .308 at a hundred yards. He was so mad at my $100 rifle that he packed his rifle up and left the range. That was back in 97 - 98 and I loved it. He made my day.
Are you just effectively shortening the rifling with the reamer to stop the worn rifling from affecting the bullet spin?

Yeah poor barrels are a known issue with them, haven't found any dealers that would let you slug a barrel till you found one that was actually in spec. .313 is pretty far out of spec.

Finished my MS 361 with a Meteor jug and dual port exhaust. Gave it a nice break in on this oak… it chewed and spit out curls like it was a last meal.

Attachments

• 95B48AE7-091A-412C-BEF9-7CE7D875CF35.jpeg
    95B48AE7-091A-412C-BEF9-7CE7D875CF35.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 12C0E4BD-9C68-4F85-B0AF-F7A1C9E3CC95.jpeg
    12C0E4BD-9C68-4F85-B0AF-F7A1C9E3CC95.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • A4BCB5AD-D6CA-4BA9-9679-FD6BF6DADE7E.jpeg
    A4BCB5AD-D6CA-4BA9-9679-FD6BF6DADE7E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Something for we firewood guys to emulate…

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRmp2hD8/
Hes got some time in on that thing...my buddy got one for his kids one Christmas he got on it...he showed me the video it was like those guys that want to ride your dirt bike and think they can clutch a bike and then they get on it and superman it into a tree...yeah that's what it looked like.

Hes got some time in on that thing...my buddy got one for his kids one Christmas he got on it...he showed me the video it was like those guys that want to ride your dirt and think they can clutch a bike and then they get on it and superman it into a tree...yeah that's what it looked like.
Reminds me of a wedding hosted at my parents house… watched my uncle get on a Yamaha 100 in his suit and take off through our large side yard. That part went well… it was at the end of the yard where it went bad. Somehow he managed to go over the handlebars and roll across the yard. That happened about 50 years ago but I can see it like it was today.😉

That reminds me of when I was in my mid-teens my older female cousin ... who drove a new 67 GTO ... wanted to ride my minibike. (It was coffee brown, a beautiful car).

I said sure ... I mean, if she can drive a Goat, what the heck!

I explained how the twist throttle and foot brake worked, and off she went ... full throttle, the minibike wheelied and she came off the back and landed on her can!

I keep checking sites for 338 bullets for my upcoming 338-06 project (just waiting for the barrel).

I already have some Hornady 200 grain FTX and Barnes 225 grain TTSX bullets, but yesterday Midway USA said they had a box to Barnes 210 grain TTSX bullets in stock. I've been looking for these for a while, as they may be about the perfect weight for my project gun and have a nice BC of .482. (the BC for the 200 grain Hornady FTX is .430, and the bullet is intended for moderate velocities).

I debated paying shipping or waiting for free shipping, but the website said they only had one box, so I "bit the bullet" and paid the shipping. Glad I did, today they are listed and "Unavailable and no backorder", which means they are NOT expecting to get them again soon.

I'm getting sick and tired of so many things that should be readily available being so hard to find, but I'm glad I found a box of those bullets. I have at least 3 powders in my arsenal that should be able to drive them over 2,700 FPS, which should be about perfect. Hope they shoot well for me.

Especially in Cottonwood I'd imagine
Hero wood 😆.
Dropped a cottonwood yesterday, cut and split it for campfire wood. I understand the 372xp hype now.
It works great for that :blob2: .
Where you at down there. The inlaws are in Ft Wayne, Defiance, West Unity, Edgerton, I get down there often.

Latest posts

Back