Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of these days I'm going to have to get my 700D running. Since I sold the 075, I think the 700 is my biggest saw at 107CC's.
This one is almost 70cc which is normally where I'm around for most tasks then the around 38 to 40cc for the limbing saws. The biggest saw I have is not running yet an old gear drive craftsman I have with an AH58 largest running is my 288XP. Its like a revolving door to keep X amount of them going at a time. I usually have 4 or 5 work saws running and use them for a season and clean them out and store them and when I get a new group out the following year its time to fix those fuel lines carb kits and the process starts over again.

I've only got 11 running saws, which I know are small numbers compared to some of you guys, but I'm beginning to think it's too much. I've got about 4 that I use on a regular basis(2511t,201tcm,400,and 500i) and my 066 gets occasional use. The rest just sit a lot...I haven't really had any running issues yet, but I could probably stand to sell a couple. Especially considering that I've got 6 saws that are in the 70-80cc class.

I've only got 11 running saws, which I know are small numbers compared to some of you guys, but I'm beginning to think it's too much. I've got about 4 that I use on a regular basis(2511t,201tcm,400,and 500i) and my 066 gets occasional use. The rest just sit a lot...I haven't really had any running issues yet, but I could probably stand to sell a couple. Especially considering that I've got 6 saws that are in the 70-80cc class.
Had the same problem a year or so ago. Ended up getting rid of anything I hadn't used in over 2 years, except the 394xp and my pops Mac pm605.

Is everyone you asked going to grab them for themselves?
No, it's part of the hotel thats owned by the trust. If I was a hotel employee or trust employee I would likely be allowed to grab it. Really between all the properties there arnt many that burn wood for heat and even less that scroung it up.
Few pics of the back side logs laying. Couldn't get around to the front half of the trail,(where the big fresh stumps are) between the rain and high reach acting up, it's been a long morning.

Attachments

• 20221004_101114.jpg
    20221004_101114.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221004_101132.jpg
    20221004_101132.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221004_102252.jpg
    20221004_102252.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221004_110146.jpg
    20221004_110146.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221004_121705.jpg
    20221004_121705.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221004_121806.jpg
    20221004_121806.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221004_121810.jpg
    20221004_121810.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Had the same problem a year or so ago. Ended up getting rid of anything I hadn't used in over 2 years, except the 394xp and my pops Mac pm605.
My 400 and my 500i are my "daily drivers" as far as saws go, but I do enjoy taking the 372 or the 044 twins out cutting every once in a while. My 044s are pretty spicy for work saws, so they're always fun to run...they also make me appreciate the AV of the newer saws.

The 372xt is just a solid work saw, between the ergos and what I did to the motor, I still like it as a falling saw. Plus it was personally my first "legit" work saw when I got it 12ish years ago...I don't think I could ever part with it. If anything, I have it on my mind to convert it to OE XP configuration, preferably with a 75cc top end. It actually runs really well as is, but I just can't leave anything alone for too long.

I try to get out of it, but I've done a fair bit of climbing this year(removals) for my buddy's land-clearing business...so I'm never worried about my top handles sitting too long.

I forgot to mention when I stopped at Paul b's yesterday I checked their saw situation out. The shelves were full and the prices were up. 362s for close to $900.00, 400c for nearly $1100, just shy of $1600.00 for a 500. Heck a 661cm was a little cheaper then the 500. Figure that out.

Split and stacked the last of the scrounged stringybark, thought I'd try making one of those cinder block firewood stands (not my photo) sadly I didn't have enough to fill it.
View attachment 1020612
As I was splitting I was feeding a fire with all of the left over junk, rolling it around my corn patch to kill all the grass and weeds so I can get it ready to plant this year. It worked really well, the whole area in the photo is now charred and crispy.
View attachment 1020613
I need to scrounge more wood. I'll go for a drive tomorrow with my head out of the car window and see if I can sniff something out.
Never seen the cinder block and 2x4 method before…cool!

I forgot to mention when I stopped at Paul b's yesterday I checked their saw situation out. The shelves were full and the prices were up. 362s for close to $900.00, 400c for nearly $1100, just shy of $1600.00 for a 500. Heck a 661cm was a little cheaper then the 500. Figure that out.
I'm quite surprised by the 362 and 400 prices, I was recommending the 400 to a coworker the other day and told him that I was less than $950 OTD on it...guess the price went up a bit.

I'm honestly not shocked about the 500i price. They don't stay on shelves for very long and the guys that buy them, specifically want a 500.

Good grief. That old 365 special I bought from Chipper1 for 300 bucks is sounding better and better every day.

Got on working on a little on the scrounged Pine last night. Got my P41 out last night which is the only full wrap saw I have but it is well worth it. I've always loved these saws and have to pull them out every now and then. My friend Chris in Ottawa the P40-P50 saws was his grandfathers favorite saws. So In memory of him I pull one out every so often and cut some blocks with them.

Sure do like those P series saws great runners.
View attachment IMG_0448.MOV

I'm quite surprised by the 362 and 400 prices, I was recommending the 400 to a coworker the other day and told him that I was less than $950 OTD on it...guess the price went up a bit.

I'm honestly not shocked about the 500i price. They don't stay on shelves for very long and the guys that buy them, specifically want a 500.
I was right around that price this spring when I got mine this spring. Really with inflation I'm not surprised with the prices. Tell you this much about the 500i... sure felt good in the hand...

Yeah crazy what we're paying nowadays.
My new 7900 Prez2 was $920 shipped not cheap but for a 80 cc class saw its a bargain price . I have 3 tanks through it , will be ported this winter in the off season . I imagine it will be a ripper then , because its impressive now in stock intake & exhaust port durations & stock coil performance margins . The pricing certainly has risen during the pandemic on all recreational equipment .

And a decent feed rate and pressure with stainless. You don't Peck as much as steel and aluminum. Keep a decent amount of coolant on it and if its cutting keep the pressure on it. Cobalt drills are by and far the best chance to get good results.
I like the M42 cobalt bits for about everything.

Good grief. That old 365 special I bought from Chipper1 for 300 bucks is sounding better and better every day.
I was just thinking maybe i shouldn't have sold the 365 special I sold to a guy down the rd last yr lol.
I'd like to have another 268xp piston cut into a pop-up for my 372oe, they run very strong done up like that and the cost is pretty cheap.
I have a 2166 I'm going to sell soon, I'm going to run it again probably tomorrow. Now that I think about it I should probably get some pictures of it in the morning as it's pretty clean right now :).

Sure do like those P series saws great runners.
View attachment 1021781

Every time I fire up the P-51 its like 50 yrs ago , the sound & smell of that old Quaker State :blob2:
Looks like I'm going to have to pull the carb again to clean the screen. Was bogging on the high this evening. Must still be some crap in the tank I've cleaned the carb twice now. I'll pull it off again the filter must not be fine enough to filter the crud out.

Looks like I'm going to have to pull the carb again to clean the screen. Was bogging on the high this evening. Must still be some crap in the tank I've cleaned the carb twice now. I'll pull it off again the filter must not be fine enough to filter the crud out.
Yeah , the inlet needle valve prefilter screen really gums up Vince if you don't have good fuel brother . :rare2:

I like the M42 cobalt bits for about everything.
I have quite a decent collection of different bits from working at the machine shop, however cobalt bits I kinda looked over. After I started road work I quickly realized carbide was the go to for hard to drill metals and got a decent assortment of smaller sizes. Still pretty rough getting a pilot in thay stainless pipe for the screws. I think my smaller carbide bits are starting to get dull after all the years I've had them. I should really look into getting them sharpened and get a set of cobalt bits for general use.

Latest posts

Back