Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I'm going to have to pull the carb again to clean the screen. Was bogging on the high this evening. Must still be some crap in the tank I've cleaned the carb twice now. I'll pull it off again the filter must not be fine enough to filter the crud out.
What kind of clunk are you using? I've found I prefer the newer stihl clunks of you can fit the fuel line over them. Second favorite is the walbro felt clunk. Haven't ever been super impressed with the stone type clunk but I still have a few of them in circulation.

Yeah , the inlet needle valve prefilter screen really gums up Vince if you don't have good fuel brother . :rare2:
I have good ethanol free but when I got this thing it had been sitting for god knows how long I'm struggling getting all this continuing crud from dislodging inside the tank. I've put rags in there and scrubbed around with a screwdriver and rinsed it a couple times but it seems like always more keeps coming off when I'm running it.

What kind of clunk are you using? I've found I prefer the newer stihl clunks of you can fit the fuel line over them. Second favorite is the walbro felt clunk. Haven't ever been super impressed with the stone type clunk but I still have a few of them in circulation.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a husky style stone clunk maybe that's part of the issue I'll look online and order either one of those this isn't the first old mag saw ive ran into this issue on.

I was right around that price this spring when I got mine this spring. Really with inflation I'm not surprised with the prices. Tell you this much about the 500i... sure felt good in the hand...
I love mine, it's an awesome saw. If a guy just wants to cut firewood and his firewood is easy to get to, it's probably overkill and overpriced. However, if you gotta do any hiking, cutting on uneven ground, chunking down spars, etc. the 500 works beautifully for that. Just the combination of the power, weight, and AV make it a dream to run.

I run the 400 the most out of my rear-handles, but the 500 is my 2nd most commonly used rear handle. If it's smaller-medium sized trees and/or with lots of brushing/limbing, I grab the 400 w/a 28lwb. If I'm just falling trees w/ little to no brushing, I like running that 500 w/ a 32" lwb. Both saws are easy on the body.

I have good ethanol free but when I got this thing it had been sitting for god knows how long I'm struggling getting all this continuing crud from dislodging inside the tank. I've put rags in there and scrubbed around with a screwdriver and rinsed it a couple times but it seems like always more keeps coming off when I'm running it.
I've sang this song before vt but not sure you heard it so here's the encore!!! Had a similar thing on a saw a while back. Wound up being about a 1" section of old line that didn't come out when I rinsed the tank. It had been in there so long it was near liquidized and fine particles of it were getting past the filter and caking up on the inlet screen. Had the ( bad word bad word ) carb apart 5 times before I found it.

Looks like I'm going to have to pull the carb again to clean the screen. Was bogging on the high this evening. Must still be some crap in the tank I've cleaned the carb twice now. I'll pull it off again the filter must not be fine enough to filter the crud out.
If you use a two stroke oil with fuel stabiliser in it or add fuel fuel stabiliser it helps. I always put my saws away with full tanks as if their is less air in the tank there is less chance of the fuel oxidising and going off.

I love mine, it's an awesome saw. If a guy just wants to cut firewood and his firewood is easy to get to, it's probably overkill and overpriced. However, if you gotta do any hiking, cutting on uneven ground, chunking down spars, etc. the 500 works beautifully for that. Just the combination of the power, weight, and AV make it a dream to run.

I run the 400 the most out of my rear-handles, but the 500 is my 2nd most commonly used rear handle. If it's smaller-medium sized trees and/or with lots of brushing/limbing, I grab the 400 w/a 28lwb. If I'm just falling trees w/ little to no brushing, I like running that 500 w/ a 32" lwb. Both saws are easy on the body.
Roger that. I don't need a 500, I have the 390xp and 394xp to do my big saw stuff. Really all I run anymore is the 400. I did pick up a 24" bar for it, so the 390xp wears the 36" permanently now. It's actually a very good combination for me. The 400 does well with the 24" on it. Truthfully it's not often I get to fell a tree it can't handle.

So we continued on, starting to climb out of the valley. Saw this one on the downhill side. Someone (Parks Victoria I imagine) had dropped this nice solid peppermint down the slope. About 16 inches at the base.

View attachment 1021017

The only problem was getting the wood back up.

View attachment 1021018

Well that wasn't the only problem, I disturbed a bull ant nest and also a jumping jack nest. Both are aggressive and give a nasty bite. I looked down at one point to see two bull ants with their heads buried in the kevlar of my chainsaw pants but fortunately they didn't land any hits. Definitely don't want to stand still for long.

Anyway, eventually I got all the wood up onto the road (Cowgirl was able to take up some of the smaller pieces) and Cowgirl loaded. Cowlad decided he wasn't feeling well and sat in the ute. He's feeling ok now of course.

View attachment 1021019

View attachment 1021020

Cheers fellers :cheers:
For the next time…
100’ and 200’ cables or Amsteel winch ropes with loops on both ends that will either fit over a tow ball or into a 3/4” shackle and a sizable snatch block
cut into 12’ logs…
set block up hill of the road…
pull logs onto road and cut them up there.

We pulled many a tree out of canyons on our ranch years ago.

If you use a two stroke oil with fuel stabiliser in it or add fuel fuel stabiliser it helps. I always put my saws away with full tanks as if their is less air in the tank there is less chance of the fuel oxidising and going off.
This is just because I'm having a hard time getting the residual crud from the previous owner letting it sit for years out. I use ethanol free fuel and husky xp oil.

This is just because I'm having a hard time getting the residual crud from the previous owner letting it sit for years out. I use ethanol free fuel and husky xp oil.
I wish I could find ethanol free gas in Mass. I had my 395xp stored for 5 - 6 years and it fired right up last Fall on the old gas.

I've sang this song before vt but not sure you heard it so here's the encore!!! Had a similar thing on a saw a while back. Wound up being about a 1" section of old line that didn't come out when I rinsed the tank. It had been in there so long it was near liquidized and fine particles of it were getting past the filter and caking up on the inlet screen. Had the ( bad word bad word ) carb apart 5 times before I found it.
I didn't think there was but maybe. I have super clean here and some berrymans carb cleaner I could pull all the lines and dump that stuff in there and let it sit for 24 hours and see if it eats that stuff.

Unexpected scrounge...that's why it's in the back of my little girly-man pickup lol. I still managed to fit all of it in there, seasoned valley oak.
20221004_153615.jpg

I also scored a free reel full of electrical cord. IDK, but I'm guessing it's $100-200 of cord if I were to buy it new. I'll use it to put a long cord on one of my welders. It still has the stock 4' cord that came on it.
20221004_173235.jpg

Unexpected scrounge...that's why it's in the back of my little girly-man pickup lol. I still managed to fit all of it in there, seasoned valley oak.
View attachment 1021848

I also scored a free reel full of electrical cord. IDK, but I'm guessing it's $100-200 of cord if I were to buy it new. I'll use it to put a long cord on one of my welders. It still has the stock 4' cord that came on it.
View attachment 1021847
If 10g ok for a 30a welder for short run Or longer on a 20a unit. 8g much better…😀
kinda looks like 12g though…

If 10g ok for a 30a welder for short run Or longer on a 20a unit. 8g much better…😀
kinda looks like 12g though…
It's 10g. I'd prefer 8g for this particular welder, or even 6 on longer cords, but I'll do a shorter cord(10' or so) and see how it goes. I almost never have the voltage turned up above about 1/2 anyway.

It's 10g. I'd prefer 8g for this particular welder, or even 6 on longer cords, but I'll do a shorter cord(10' or so) and see how it goes. I almost never have the voltage turned up above about 1/2 anyway.
As long as your welder’s main cord is a 10 that will work.

For the next time…
100’ and 200’ cables or Amsteel winch ropes with loops on both ends that will either fit over a tow ball or into a 3/4” shackle and a sizable snatch block
cut into 12’ logs…
set block up hill of the road…
pull logs onto road and cut them up there.

We pulled many a tree out of canyons on our ranch years ago.

Yep. Guess what you're not allowed to do here?

If ur muffler has a baffle core in it , take it out they run a lot better to restrictive did it to my P51 totally different saw ,

If ur muffler has a baffle core in it , take it out they run a lot better to restrictive did it to my P51 totally different saw ,
I want to say I pulled it a couple years ago but Ill double check when I pull the carb to throw it in the ultrasonic and soak the tank. Ill order those clunks that Sean suggested today. This is the only problem I've ran across on multiple different all mag saws I have a couple 65Ls that have some corrosion and paint flaking. If this doesn't work ill get some of that redcote tank coating stuff. If all else fails I know that will work.

Back