Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snake research ... I'm still up in the air!

If you search "Corn Snake" and "Milk Snake" you will conclude it is a Corn Snake.

If you search "Eastern Milk Snake" the pattern matches.

But all of the stuff says that Milk Snakes have brighter colors than Corn Snakes, and my guy looks duller than that Eastern Milk Snake pic, so in my mind the jury is still out! It could be either. Amazing that the two snakes can look so similar!

If you search "Corn Snake" and "Milk Snake" you will conclude it is a Corn Snake.

But all of the stuff says that Milk Snakes have brighter colors than Corn Snakes, and my guy looks duller than that Eastern Milk Snake pic, so in my mind the jury is still out! It could be either. Amazing that the two snakes can look so similar!
I took a hike today between Staatsburg State Historic Site and Mills Norrie State Park on the banks of the Hudson. We saw several garter snakes and water snakes... and on unidentified snake that I apparently spooked as I walked by it on the narrow trail on the steep hill side... The snake slid downhill and across the trail out of control trying to get away from me. In the process it went over the cliff down to the water... this per my lady friend's observation. I saw the tip of the tail and some leaves and rocks go over the edge of the cliff. It was a pleasant sunny day with temperatures maxing out around 70-71º. Doesn't look like those critters are ready to give it up for the season just yet!

Snakes eat rodents. Unless they’re venomous, leave them alone. They help.
I don't like snakes, they have 2 options if they arnt venomous. Leave or die. One option if it's venomous, die... or the wife comes and grabs them. Either way they need to leave.

And to complicate it further, snakes all get dull looking as they are near time to shed and are more vibrant and shiny right after shedding!!

The last 10 days have been rough, some of it was my fault. Over 30 days now without any rain making it dusty and dry so the trees are not full of water when cut down. The empty lot next to my wood stacks recently sold and was surveyed, seems I had 5 cords stacked over the property line so they all got moved by hand. Fast forward a week and the lot started getting cleared so I requested the tree trunks and the ground crew gladly provided them in 10-15 foot sections 6-8 at a time. I cut up 4 loads of logs and moved them by hand truck and wheelbarrow approx 125 feet to my pile on monday. Tuesday I did 3 and left the 4th pile in place to sit as I feel sore from head to toes. I burned 5 liters of mix through my saws cutting them into rounds, every bit of it is red oak. I estimate it to be a full 5 cords once split and stacked. I just have to start getting it split up now. The best part is not burning any gas in the truck, im guessing it saved me well over 300 in fuel not needing drive to get it and haul it back.
You need a tractor with a loader

I feel your pain, we have the multi flora roses along the edges of the woods, not in them. That's when I tip-toe in put a choker and a long cable on them and drag them out:

But I have an ever expanding wild wisteria that has taken over 1000 square feet. I attack it every once in a while with a blade on my trimmer, but they climb the trees, spread via roots, and never give up.

You need to spray it to kill it for good. Maybe rototilling it to death would get rid of it. I also have a chainsaw blade on my Stihl bicycle handlebars trimmer for clearing out some of these weeds. Usually I pop them out with my bucket and spray the roots.

No, The 7.62x54R uses a 0.310 or 0.311 Bullet, The .30x54R uses a more common 0.308 Bullet with many more match style bullets available, Mine is a .30x54R Improved, The case is blown out and the shoulder blown out farther up and the shoulder changed to 40 degrees. It holds a lot more powder, .30x54R Improved on left, Standard 7.62x54R on right.
I noticed your expanded case in the other photo. I could do that with a Finn M28/30 and really have some fun. Those rifles are scarce now and I wouldn't want to ruin one. The bore is .3082 on those rifles.

I noticed your expanded case in the other photo. I could do that with a Finn M28/30 and really have some fun. Those rifles are scarce now and I wouldn't want to ruin one. The bore is .3082 on those rifles.
Yeah don't ruin those Finn Rifles, I have several of them of different varieties. The stock on the pic of the target rifle I built is from Finland and so is the Bolt Handle. I pick up those stocks every time I see one pop up. I only build rifles out of ones that have already been sporterized, It's getting harder to find ones that have been cut-up due to the Relic Worshippers who see it as sacrilege to chop one up. The main reason I don't chop up original ones is, It's a bad business decision as they are good investments over time. Not that I view them as a piece of history, There was untold millions of them made, They are not scarce at all.

Idk why were arguing over what kind of snake it is. Just kill it and it will be the only kind of snake that's good.... dead.
I don't see it as arguing... I see it as trying to solve a mystery! I prefer snakes to the mice, voles, moles, chipmunks, etc. that find their way into our houses, garages and sheds and carry things like ticks that carry diseases such as lyme and ehrlichiosis... I also have allergic reactions to rodents (including those plus hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, etc.) that I don't have to snakes. ;)

Each to their own on the snake thing. I live peacefully with Fred a 6' black rat snake that resides in my hay barn. They will kill and eat copper heads as well as vermin and has never took an aggressive stance even when I'm literally 8" from him. He seems to have figured out I don't aim to hurt him and is comfortable being right next to me. IMG_20220704_102047206.jpg

Each to their own on the snake thing. I live peacefully with Fred a 6' black rat snake that resides in my hay barn. They will kill and eat copper heads as well as vermin and has never took an aggressive stance even when I'm literally 8" from him. He seems to have figured out I don't aim to hurt him and is comfortable being right next to me.
Unfortunately I've found the severed remains of snakes in trees I felled and bucked and I shredded one with the zero turn recently... always annoys me to loose them and give the rodents a reprieve!

We used to have a "tame" Garter snake in our old cabin. He would mostly stay in a cardboard kindling box on top of the wood pile but would come out and watch us when we ate dinner.

Unfortunately, he did not seem to survive the winter due to the rodents. There was nothing left but a skeleton in that box when we went up in the Springtime.

I must be lucky as far as mice, rats, voles and such. Only every seen one in the house and the cats got that quick. Have a few neighbors thay feed the feral cats, so they are always around. Haven't ever seen one outside though. We do have a healthy population of hawks, and a few owls that live in the woods as well as fox and more and more Coyotes. Thinking about it besides this past spring, we don't see a lot of wild rabbits or other little critters either. Coons from time to time and an opossum every now and then. Just always figured there was plenty to eat little varmints around here. And I don't like snakes.....

Yeah don't ruin those Finn Rifles, I have several of them of different varieties. The stock on the pic of the target rifle I built is from Finland and so is the Bolt Handle. I pick up those stocks every time I see one pop up. I only build rifles out of ones that have already been sporterized, It's getting harder to find ones that have been cut-up due to the Relic Worshippers who see it as sacrilege to chop one up. The main reason I don't chop up original ones is, It's a bad business decision as they are good investments over time. Not that I view them as a piece of history, There was untold millions of them made, They are not scarce at all.
There were a small amount of Finnish rifles made compared to the US and Russian Nagants. I would never alter an original Finn rifle. They are a real investment.

Back