Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used saws w/o AV for years, and I now avoid them like the plaque!

After using them for long periods on cold days, your hands would still be vibrating when you stopped!

If I want to lift weights, I have an 880 I may restore, but the 660s are heavy enough, especially w/36" bars (even if they are light bars)!
I'm not old by any standards, but any saw without av or bad av makes my hands go numb in no time. Even the newer saws I have leave my hands tingling after a day of use. That and my tennis elbow flairs up pretty bad anymore. Have a brace that helps with that though. Dr says most of it is from being a mechanic, impacts and whatnot.

I have a friend of a friend looking for a load of firewood up in PA near Peters township, send a phone# if your in that area and i'll pass it along.
The hickory will end up gifted out for smoking, no mill to run it through and it will be a year before its dry anyway. Im just hoping to end up with 4+cords of it, maybe more.
I’ve been burning hickory for two years that and white oak. Seams that’s all I have been pulling out of my friends farm . I did mill some with the Alaskan mill very rough on the chain . Buddy of mine milled the rest for me A14B31A8-ED85-4F92-9766-8840B7366EC7.jpegF9F02A18-A785-4001-B9C9-3A827DAA2706.jpeg3F417137-0AA6-4806-AEAF-E52A8F494C03.jpeg8F87C5A6-73EE-4C79-97D2-5C05A6B94E07.jpeg

Run this Mike for a couple hours, you’ll get a good arm pump . Lol 😆
I will gladly run that all day!!!! (For 1 day only🤣) Can't be any heavier than my 82/88cc remingtons, especially the one with the 16 link hard nose Carlton bar I modified to fit before I learned more by being on the forum. Still trying to find a bar that makes the big remingtons equally weighted.

I will gladly run that all day!!!! (For 1 day only🤣) Can't be any heavier than my 82/88cc remingtons, especially the one with the 16 link hard nose Carlton bar I modified to fit before I learned more by being on the forum. Still trying to find a bar that makes the big remingtons equally weighted.
Like having a Cummins Diesel strapped to ur arms, lol 😆

Got my dad's firewood all split, going to make a run for totes there free just the gas to get then. My dad has pallet forks on the tractor so he cN drop one off by back door where woodstove is.

The box fan lowered oil temps by 10° on the splitter. Most of our wood is popple or maple. And first fire for my parents since 1990, pleasant heart stove I think the 2200sqft model.Resized_20221012_151429.jpeg20221010_124200.jpg20221009_122407.jpg

View attachment 1023682
Spotted some barrels dumped in a pullout area on the side of the road on the way home from work yesterday. Made it disappear today. Bark came off easily but it's still pretty green. First time using full skip chain. First time bucking with a big bar. Can't believe how much it saved my back, it's kind of counter intuitive - big bar more weight sorer back, but now I can just bend my knees and keep my back straight. Thanks internet.
I’ve pretty much used 28 inch bars to buck for the same reason . When I feel manly I use the 395xp :muscle:
ECDEB185-69B5-4EF2-8974-80392AA4D506.jpegB9ACCB80-6AA1-42E7-B1D6-C67E7078AD4C.jpeg

I've had issues with carpal tunnel and even switched to saws with coil-sprung AV because of it.

That being said, I did take my 066 to work today. I cut down this nice little Doug Fir this am, that's a 36" on my 066 for reference. I mostly just coached my guys on some smaller firs(24"ish.)

I don't cut with this saw much, but it's one that I ported and did some machine work on the cylinder...I'm reminded of why guys like Kodiak like the 90cc saws.

20221013_104432.jpg
20221013_104443.jpg

You call logs “barrels”? Hmmmmm.
Yup. Usually refers to a log that's been cut up into lengths you'd only get a couple of rounds out of. If it's long enough to be sent to a sawmill, it's a log. If I were talking to a local tree service, i'd say "can you leave me a couple of barrels and i'll get rid of them", they'd leave me the main trunk cut up into a couple of shorter sections, but still not fully bucked. Sounds like it's a regional thing then.

Buckin' Billy Ray Smith talks about that on his YouTube channel... I find a 25" bar on my 461 works well for my height and arm length... I can buck logs on the ground without bending over by bending my knees a bit.
I got a 25 inch bar for that reason too but found I was still stooping a lot and my back was killing me. 28 was still slightly too short, i'm 6'2. I put my 30" milling bar on my saw after watching Buckin's vids to see, and it was the right length so I got one. We'll see long term but I can tell from the first use that it's a totally different stance. I just gotta be extra mindful of where the tip of that long bar is at all times. The other thing was full skip chain. I've been told all my life it doesn't work with Aussie hardwoods. I should have never just relied on what I was told and tried things for myself. Full skip cut perfectly fine, and I can even get a semi-chisel full skip here.

Back