Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20221013-IMG_9684.jpg
Spotted some barrels dumped in a pullout area on the side of the road on the way home from work yesterday. Made it disappear today. Bark came off easily but it's still pretty green. First time using full skip chain. First time bucking with a big bar. Can't believe how much it saved my back, it's kind of counter intuitive - big bar more weight sorer back, but now I can just bend my knees and keep my back straight. Thanks internet.

I have a friend of a friend looking for a load of firewood up in PA near Peters township, send a phone# if your in that area and i'll pass it along.
The hickory will end up gifted out for smoking, no mill to run it through and it will be a year before its dry anyway. Im just hoping to end up with 4+cords of it, maybe more.
There is a hay/firewood auction not to far from him in Shippensburg PA. Firewood is just starting to come in for the season. Tuesdays and Saturdays @10 AM. Shippensburg auction center/Cedar Grove farm store.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Can she be saved? Or is it time for a 500i?
Its not destroyed, but she'll need a few hundred bucks in new parts. The LW bar went unscathed unbelievably! 👌So its not all bad. Could have destroyed the case and the bar. Got lucky this time I guess.👍 She got drove into the ground hard. I thought for sure she was totalled!

View attachment 1023682
Spotted some barrels dumped in a pullout area on the side of the road on the way home from work yesterday. Made it disappear today. Bark came off easily but it's still pretty green. First time using full skip chain. First time bucking with a big bar. Can't believe how much it saved my back, it's kind of counter intuitive - big bar more weight sorer back, but now I can just bend my knees and keep my back straight. Thanks internet.
Stand up and buck .👍

Maple trees are often associated with syrup and pancakes, but there is much more to be known. Maple Firewood is known as the best choice to be used as firewood due to its numerous features.
My neighbor has a beautiful sugar maple, dropping sap all over his house and cars. He's asked several time if I would take it down, I keep telling him no, but I'd love to have it as fire wood.

Buckin' Billy Ray Smith talks about that on his YouTube channel... I find a 25" bar on my 461 works well for my height and arm length... I can buck logs on the ground without bending over by bending my knees a bit. I suspect a 28" bar may be in my future as I start aging out and the knees cannot take it. ;) As an aside, Buckin' reminds me very much of my next door neighbor when I was a kid. About 58 years ago he bought my grandparents' house. Now 82 he's in the process of moving into an assisted living facility... He heated with wood and in recent years I gave him wood, and bucked and noodled tree service logs for him that were too big for his saw. He hand split his firewood up until 2 years ago!

I've had that bar length conversation with a lot of people over the years as I'm often in the shop where my son sells Stihl and Husky saws (among other things). When I see a young guy 6' 2"+ picking out a dainty little saw with a short bar to clear the new property he bought I feel compelled to chat with him. Some get it... but most come across as afraid to use the saw let alone a long bar. I universally recommend PPE and training...

My neighbor has a beautiful sugar maple, dropping sap all over his house and cars. He's asked several time if I would take it down, I keep telling him no, but I'd love to have it as fire wood.
I've got a couple cords worth of maple awaiting a pass through my splitter... victims of the ice storm last winter. Maybe you'll have a storm. ;)

Buckin' Billy Ray Smith talks about that on his YouTube channel... I find a 25" bar on my 461 works well for my height and arm length... I can buck logs on the ground without bending over by bending my knees a bit. I suspect a 28" bar may be in my future as I start aging out and the knees cannot take it. ;) As an aside, Buckin' reminds me very much of my next door neighbor when I was a kid. About 58 years ago he bought my grandparents' house. Now 82 he's in the process of moving into an assisted living facility... He heated with wood and in recent years I gave him wood, and bucked and noodled tree service logs for him that were too big for his saw. He hand split his firewood up until 2 years ago!

I've had that bar length conversation with a lot of people over the years as I'm often in the shop where my son sells Stihl and Husky saws (among other things). When I see a young guy 6' 2"+ picking out a dainty little saw with a short bar to clear the new property he bought I feel compelled to chat with him. Some get it... but most come across as afraid to use the saw let alone a long bar. I universally recommend PPE and training...
Unless ur doing a lot of small diameter limbing , I prefer longer bars 28”&32” are standard for me .

As I have gotten older, I have become more weight conscious with my saws (with both the powerhead and the bars).

I'm not lacking strength, but my endurance is a lot better with the lighter saws.

I mostly cut just hardwoods, and some of the yard trees have lots of branches.

My saws of choice have become ported 261 (latest/lightest version) w/18" 3/8 for liming, ported 462s with 20" and 24" bars for most work, and my ported hybrid w/28" light bar for larger stuff. Not much those 4 saws can't handle, but I've also got the ported 460, several 660s and a ported 661. Often, I just use the large saws for milling or noodling very large rounds.

Those 4 saws all have VG power to weight, and all but the hybrid have VG AV.

I have never seen Osage Orange, and there are no Hickory or Locust trees up near my cabin.

However, there are a fair amount of Eastern Hop Hornbeam (but I hate cutting them as they grow so slowly) and we seem to be getting more and more Black Birch.

The Black Birch may become my wood of choice in the future (at least for the nighttime burn), but it does not split as readily as the Ash and Black Cherry that we mostly use, and I think it takes longer to season. Everything takes longer to season up there, it is Mtn top, and you are in the clouds a lot of the time.

As I have gotten older, I have become more weight conscious with my saws (with both the powerhead and the bars).

I'm not lacking strength, but my endurance is a lot better with the lighter saws.

I mostly cut just hardwoods, and some of the yard trees have lots of branches.

My saws of choice have become ported 261 (latest/lightest version) w/18" 3/8 for liming, ported 462s with 20" and 24" bars for most work, and my ported hybrid w/28" light bar for larger stuff. Not much those 4 saws can't handle, but I've also got the ported 460, several 660s and a ported 661. Often, I just use the large saws for milling or noodling very large rounds.

Those 4 saws all have VG power to weight, and all but the hybrid have VG AV.
Run this Mike for a couple hours, you’ll get a good arm pump . Lol 😆

Attachments

• 18A49BDA-6DCF-4458-8E62-9E9ADED426E6.jpeg
    18A49BDA-6DCF-4458-8E62-9E9ADED426E6.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I used saws w/o AV for years, and I now avoid them like the plaque!

After using them for long periods on cold days, your hands would still be vibrating when you stopped!

If I want to lift weights, I have an 880 I may restore, but the 660s are heavy enough, especially w/36" bars (even if they are light bars)!

Back