Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you cut wood every day kk?
Sometimes I'll cut firewood every day fir two weeks straight. Then I may go a month or two without cutting any at all. It just all depends on the time of year and circumstances. I try to make it out in the woods fir a load at least once a week though when I'm home and not working at sea or in a camp.👍
Well, I'm going back to bed fir a few more hours gentleman. 😴

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

We don't need permits here in NY, but you are not allowed to bait, which makes it very difficult to get one unless it is just by chance while you are deer hunting.

If I do decide to take one, it will only be because they prey so heavily on the deer.
In the Adirondack's in upstate NY where I am from, the black bear tended to be more "grub and berry feeders" than "deer predators". Perhaps an early fawn or two would be taken in the spring as they tend to hide instead of run.
Is your neck-of-the-woods substantiallly different than the Adirondacks?
Or has there been a noticable change in black bear feeding or deer population so that the deer are becoming a type of "prey"?

That's pretty much where I'm at. The 400 and more recently the 261 have made a bit of a Stihl guy outta me....now I just wish I had an excuse to buy a 462.......
The 400 is too close to the 462 imo.
The 400 is a badazz saw. Everyone who doesn't own a 400 is probably sick of hearing us talk about them, but they really are that good. 🤣 Seriously though, it's by far, the most versatile saw in my line up.
I'm sure they are, it's just the truth. Husqy had the 60cc market till the 400 came out.
KK may be on the war path now. He does have a logging Wagon after all.
Fixed it.😁

Here's a current picture to show my brand loyalty.......
The ms660 clone is on the floor, and the 2 ms361's (1 real one, and 1 clone) are at the mill.
View attachment 1037859
So what you're saying is you have two STIHLs at your mill because that is where the work needs done. While your Huskies hang on display in your shop collecting dust! Perfect! 😀That's exactly how I'd do it! 👍😉

So what you're saying is you have two STIHLs at your mill because that is where the work needs done. While your Huskies hang on display in your shop collecting dust! Perfect! 😀That's exactly how I'd do it! 👍😉
Yeah, that's about it....lol.
Stinkin Stihl toting loggers...... 😉

Here's a current picture to show my brand loyalty.......
The ms660 clone is on the floor, and the 2 ms361's (1 real one, and 1 clone) are at the mill.
View attachment 1037859
Seriously, how do you like those clone saws? Are they powerful, tuff, and reliable? Ive never ran one or even seen one myself.

Seriously, how do you like those clone saws? Are they powerful, tuff, and reliable? Ive never ran one or even seen one myself.
Well, they're kinda fun to put together.....
They've all started right up, and they make sawdust.....or chips, or whatever you wanna call it.
Definitely not as refined as real saws, but they mostly work.....for how long I don't know....
I recently bought a neo tech 543xp clone.....it seized up on the second tank of fuel......the only saw I've ever seized in 30 plus years of running powersaws...

I think the clones are a viable option for people that need a bigger saw on occasion, but want to spend the dough for a OEM saw.

I'm cleaning up the cylinders right now on a couple of clone 440s that a couple people I know are building. The chrome is very nice, other things not so much. The ports are terrible, so much so that hanging a ring would be a possibility as they are delivered. Lots of flash in the ports, sharp edges w/o a uniform chamfer on the edge, really rough squish band, etc. I'm not doing a full-on porting job to them, just chucking the cylinders up on the lathe and just cleaning up the ports a bit.

Speaking of the chrome, it's higher quality IMO than the regular Hyway cylinders. The Hyways have much nicer ports, but the plating flakes very easily if you run a grinder in the ports.

Some of the stuff is actually pretty decent. Both of my 044's have farmertec wrap handles...it was $35 compared to whatever Stihl wants for an 044 wrap handle. The large "west coast" style clutch covers on them are farmertec pieces too, as are the tanks and plastic. The cylinders are workable, but I'd be hesitant to run one as delivered.

I'm cleaning up the cylinders right now on a couple of clone 440s that a couple people I know are building. The chrome is very nice, other things not so much. The ports are terrible, so much so that hanging a ring would be a possibility as they are delivered. Lots of flash in the ports, sharp edges w/o a uniform chamfer on the edge, really rough squish band, etc. I'm not doing a full-on porting job to them, just chucking the cylinders up on the lathe and just cleaning up the ports a bit.

Speaking of the chrome, it's higher quality IMO than the regular Hyway cylinders. The Hyways have much nicer ports, but the plating flakes very easily if you run a grinder in the ports.

Some of the stuff is actually pretty decent. Both of my 044's have farmertec wrap handles...it was $35 compared to whatever Stihl wants for an 044 wrap handle. The large "west coast" style clutch covers on them are farmertec pieces too, as are the tanks and plastic. The cylinders are workable, but I'd be hesitant to run one as delivered.
Good solid and knowledgeable info once again Sierra, and☝️I thank you...🤔That SierraR guy must be a STIHL man......

They've all started right up, and they make sawdust.....or chips, or whatever you wanna call it.
Definitely not as refined as real saws, but they mostly work.....for how long I don't know....
I recently bought a neo tech 543xp clone.....it seized up on the second tank of fuel......the only saw I've ever seized in 30 plus years of running powersaws...

I think the clones are a viable option for people that need a bigger saw on occasion, but want to spend the dough for a OEM saw.
Good to know, thanks. 👍

Thanks for your input gentleman. I was more curious about the clone saws than anything. I really don't see myself every buying or owning one. A friend of mine had one with green cammo plastics. He lost it in his strip the first day he had it! Said he couldn't see it to find it! 🤔
JK!

Damn FS, you are lucky! There is not a Rural King within 200 miles of me, but they have a two man tower stand I want on sale for over $200 less than any place around here! I'll have to call them but looks like they don't ship them!!!
Which one Mike? I've been looking for one.

We don't need permits here in NY, but you are not allowed to bait, which makes it very difficult to get one unless it is just by chance while you are deer hunting.

It was over 20 years (maybe 30) before I saw a bear while I was hunting, but my daughter who has been hunting for 3 years now saw bear on opening morning her first two years. I'm sure I could have taken 2 over the years, but they were not huge, and I have never shot at one.

If I do decide to take one, it will only be because they prey so heavily on the deer.
Take a "fawn in distress bleet" call into the stand with you. If you use it make sure you have a good 360° view of what can come in. Fawn bleets bring in deer and bear! 👍 Works good! Don't wait until complete dark to leave your stand though. Just in case a bear is coming your way while you're hiking out from your stand after calling fir an hour or two.

Latest posts

Back