Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 400 is too close to the 462 imo.

Fixed it.😁
The 400 was the biggest saw my dealer had when I needed a saw when my 462 got lifted. I got the 462 back but rarely run it. May look for a 25" light bar for it.The 400 covers most of the cuttin here for now. Don't remember when I ran the 036 or 361 last.

speaking of chunks and sawing, etc, Lady Luck was on our side other evening... and when the dust had settled we had scrounged up another nice Holiday Treat! homemade tres leches... and included free delivery; at 10 pm!!! deal included couple comp cocoBombs, too! 👍
P1010006.JPGP1010007.JPG
dripping wet with sweet tres leches!!~ :sweet:

In the Adirondack's in upstate NY where I am from, the black bear tended to be more "grub and berry feeders" than "deer hunters". Perhaps an early fawn or two would be taken in the spring as they tend to hide instead of run.
Is your neck-of-the-woods substantiallly different than the Adirondacks?
Or has there been a noticable change in black bear feeding or deer population so that the deer are becoming a type of "prey"?
They often eat lots of Cherrys and berries, but if you look at the study done by (I think) Univ of Penn they were shocked how many more deer were taken by bear than by coyote. The bears are especially skilled at getting the young ones, but I've seen evidence of full-size deer killed by bear, coyote and bobcat (the cat dropped on the deer's back in deep snow).

Bears are opportunists, they eat anything they can catch, including any deer that is caught off guard (bedded and looking the wrong way).

Thanks for your input gentleman. I was more curious about the clone saws than anything. I really don't see myself every buying or owning one. A friend of mine had one with green cammo plastics. He lost it in his strip the first day he had it! Said he couldn't see it to find it! 🤔
For me, it was more about the cheap reproduction plastics than anything. My 066 and 1 of my 044s had the dreaded leaky fuel caps that the screw-cap Stihls get. The 066 was leaking really bad, like 'out of service' bad. New caps/o-rings don't fix the leak and I think an OEM stihl tank is $180. The farmertec tanks cost less than $40, fit perfectly, and don't leak fuel.

Well, they're kinda fun to put together.....
They've all started right up, and they make sawdust.....or chips, or whatever you wanna call it.
Definitely not as refined as real saws, but they mostly work.....for how long I don't know....
I recently bought a neo tech 543xp clone.....it seized up on the second tank of fuel......the only saw I've ever seized in 30 plus years of running powersaws...

I think the clones are a viable option for people that need a bigger saw on occasion, but want to spend the dough for a OEM saw.
I didn't even know they made a 543xp clone until I saw your post. I've had it in my mind to get a 40ish cc mag-cased saw to carry on the front of my dirtbike. I usually carry my 2511t, but it would be nice to have something bigger than my 201, but smaller than my 550 for dealing with some of the deadfall.

I also don't want to spend $600+ on a saw that is going to get thrashed around on the front of my bike...my bike saws lead really hard lives...I dropped my old 192t out of a big 'ol cedar tree before and it received less damage than it did on the front of my 300. :laugh:

Despite your bad luck with it, I went ahead and ordered that 543 clone. I'm going to completely disassemble it before I even run it, hopefully correct any potential issues with it and hop it up. For less than $200, it's worth the gamble for me.

FS, the Muddy Quad 12 Foot Tower Stand (2 person). Cabelas had it for $469.99, MidwayUSA wanted even more, but Rural King has it for $257.99.

I called Cabelas ... they "price matched" it for me and gave me an additional 5% for using my card! (I bought 2).
Good deal Mike. Just checked my RK and their website says out of stock. May see if I can get a raincheck.

Seriously, how do you like those clone saws? Are they powerful, tuff, and reliable? Ive never ran one or even seen one myself.
I’ve got several, in the husky version. They have been mostly trouble free. The problems I have had have been small, like recoil springs.

Despite your bad luck with it, I went ahead and ordered that 543 clone. I'm going to completely disassemble it before I even run it, hopefully correct any potential issues with it and hop it up. For less than $200, it's worth the gamble for me.

Please share your views with us when it arrives. They have appeared over here recently:

Screenshot_20221205-201610_kindlephoto-1093597219.png

Please share your views with us when it arrives. They have appeared over here recently:

View attachment 1037982

Will do. I've been going down a bit of a rabbit hole on them. It's technically not a clone of a 543xp, but of a Zenoah design, the Husky in turn is just a rebranded Zenoah. The Husky version sounds like they're pretty lightweight, the only complaint is that they don't rev as high as the saw they replaced(242xp.)

Back