Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were to ever cut a 7' tree, my preference would be to face it up with the 566i or the 066 and then complete the back cut with the 880. At least that's what my friends who cut redwoods out on the coast sometimes do with big 2nd growth reds. 500 or 661 for the face, 880/881/3120 in the back cut, and send it over with jacks. I'd love to be able to go cut with those guys for a few months, I'd learn a lot I'm sure.

Partly my intent with "566" moniker is to confuse people and peek the interest of the orange crowd. Make 'em think that a new model of Husky is out that they haven't heard of yet. :laugh:
Yes that's common. If the face is to be shallow. Say 1/4 to1/3. Of the stump diameter. The 32" dosent have the reach to execute a proper back cut. Even if you cut a steep (not to be confused with "deep") face to fit the head in it and bore out the center wood. If you're friends that tip those big SG trees face cut with a 90 pulling a 32" I would assume they tip it with a 120 pulling 42" or 50". No?

The Kessler farm up the street from me when I was a kid was a pig farm up until the mid-50s... Now there is a mansion on it with an indoor basketball court and other over-the-top amenities. When the first owner of the mansion had guests over they often had trouble finding the place as it sat way off the road. As such I was asked about the location several times... I took delight in playing dumb at first and then responding, "Oh... you mean the old pig farm..." The looks I got back were priceless.

The Kessler Farm was on the property at the top of the image with the big pond... It was about 30 acres and there was no pond... a stream ran through it. Below it was a dairy farm that also ceased operations in the '50s. As a kid those properties were part of my play area and early hunting turf. Now... as you can see they are off limits to anything I want to do!

PigFarm.gif

Old gear drive , will have to do a little research, those 895 Mac gear drive were monsters .
Like I said, I'd just love to restore it. This is the first and only Mac I've ever owned. It wood be awesome if completely freshened up both mechanically and cosmetically!
It wood definitely have its own separate pedestal in my shop. With lights shining down from above along with the sound of Angels singing! 🤣🤣😉

Like I said, I'd just love to restore it. This is the first and only Mac I've ever owned. It wood be awesome if completely freshened up both mechanically and cosmetically!
It wood definitely have its own separate pedestal in my shop. With lights shining down from above along with the sound of Angels singing! 🤣🤣😉
Will you be able to hear them over noise of the saw?

Yes that's common. If the face is to be shallow. Say 1/4 to1/3. Of the stump diameter. The 32" dosent have the reach to execute a proper back cut. Even if you cut a steep (not to be confused with "deep") face to fit the head in it and bore out the center wood. If you're friends that tip those big SG trees face cut with a 90 pulling a 32" I would assume they tip it with a 120 pulling 42" or 50". No?

I think they're usually MO with those is to do a block-out humboldt/whatever you want to call it with a snipe on the stump side of it. I don't know exactly what bars they're all running on their big saws, but I think they almost wide enough to get across the stump...yeah, they use the bigs saws mostly just for the back cut... I think one of them is running a 60" on an 088, another was bragging about his 7' Cannon he got for his 3120, but I'm not sure if he's cutting trees with that set up...might just be for milling. I know they're running bars long enough that throwing a chain becomes super easy just from the bar flex.

I know redwood brings a good price, there is a lot of scale in one of these large trees, and that redwood is very brittle, so they'll put some time into cutting just one tree. Even building layouts for exceptional trees. It's probably nothing like they were doing with old growth back in the olden days, but still a different kind of operation than what we have out here in the Sierra's.

One of the guys I know out on the coast is a multi-generational gypo logger...anyway all his family's old saws hang on the wall of his shop, stuff like old mac 125s, Stihl 090s, etc. The old timers cutting the OG used ran some gnarly powersaws, stuff that'll put hair on your chest lol.

That dude is also a badazz on a cat...he'll run a D6 down slopes that just seem suicidal to most of us.

McCulloch we’re way ahead of their time back in the day .
Yea there was a kart cylinder and piston kit that went for big money recently on eBay, it started at around 750$ I think it sold for double that. I seen those kart motor saw conversions videos and holy smokes they will smoke any saw that isn't a hot saw and may even smoke them

Since I got my new chain grinder ive been experimenting with chain grinding.

I've always sharpened chain the way my real dad did, which is 55/25 on the angles (Full chisel) and going all the way to te bottom of the gullet.

With the new grinder Ive been playing with tilting the head as far as it will go (about 37 degrees on this one) and then bringing the wheel down until the curve of the grinding wheel is right at the top plate of the tooth. I found grinding like this tends to make a burr that breaks off muh like sharpening with a file does.

I though it seemed to cut a bit better, but decided to test it today.

The clip on the left is the experimental chain. Clip on the right is my old way of grinding.

Watching BBR's videos on the baby C chain is what made me decide to try it out.

16" .325x.063" stihl chain. both chains are worn about the same, and rakers are done with the soft wood side of a husky progressive guage.

The difference in the cutters is much more obvious on 3/8 chain. I suspect that after a few sharpenings I would have to go back and take out the gullet some jsut as one would do with square filing.

The top chain in the photo is my old way of sharpening, and the bottom is the experimental

tempImageHzeLec.jpg
View attachment sharpening.mp4

Have you been there?
Yea, we had a GTG there, I took those pics! He also has 2 - 1969 428 CJ Mustangs! One was even the correct color!

That was not all of his saws, just the ones that would fit in that building.

As it was explained to me, Mac saws were so strong that folks started putting the motors on go karts, so Mac started making go cart motors, and made some larger displacement ones. So, Lee bought one of the larger go kart motors and made a chainsaw out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20171001_133308329.jpg
    IMG_20171001_133308329.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20171001_133323075.jpg
    IMG_20171001_133323075.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20171001_133329797.jpg
    IMG_20171001_133329797.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
When I was in high school, there was a kid in there older than me, that had two big Mac motors on a cart and raced it.

I thought HE was the luckiest kid in the world, because when he graduated in 1965, his dad bought him a NEW 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS convertible with a 327 350hp, 4 speed.

For me and that car, it was love at first sight!! lol

SR

It's starting to look like a log splitter. I'm not sure that my oil tank is going to be big enough, but I'll give it a shot. I'm splitting by myself and usually only for an hour at a time, so I'm optimistic it'll work out. If it does, I'm thinking of painting the oil tank silver and getting a big Coors light decal. 🤣

Done for tonight, it got really cold once the sun went down, was a balmy 39* earlier.
IMG_20221206_170527791_HDR.jpg

Evening guys.
We were able to stay busy today...
Sawed up a few logs with the new ms260 clone......
IMG_20221206_165839.jpg
And burnt five big ol' piles of cedar......
IMG_20221206_145555.jpg

IMG_20221206_162422.jpg
IMG_20221206_170617.jpg

And bucked some hay......
IMG_20220820_073438.jpg
To feed the cows...
IMG_20221206_122048.jpg
And sawed a bit of cedar lumber......
IMG_20221112_131028.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_131028.jpg
    IMG_20221112_131028.jpg