Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was out cleaning up some trees today and saw this 24 inch Cherry with a strip of bark missing on its side all the way from the top to the ground. It must have been a lightning strike.
That's a great looking firewood tree, we have been burning some cherry recently and wow :surprised3:

The 2nd generation 550xp is so much heavier!
Fixed.
When you get to be 69 your thoughts on this will be different. I can still use a 90cc saw but not like I can handle a 50cc saw or a 372xp.
Same, but at 52 lol.
Really? I was looking for a 28 and was going to grab a sugi. I know you gotta grind em a bit to make fit a husky but might grab a stihl from the dealer to try if they are that light
They are light, and great bars, but :envy::envy::envy: if you can find them these days.
I'm a good ol boy and a big kid at heart. I don't take to many things seriously or personal. I joke around a lot on this forum and love a good joke myself, but "three cigarette load." 🤔 I don't get it? 🤷 What did I miss? 😂
Well, figured the other loads were one or two cig loads since your buddy was lighting one for you, and you'd probably want at least 1 more, maybe 2 after picking up all those rounds and the trailer ;).
Since I got my new chain grinder ive been experimenting with chain grinding.

I've always sharpened chain the way my real dad did, which is 55/25 on the angles (Full chisel) and going all the way to te bottom of the gullet.

With the new grinder Ive been playing with tilting the head as far as it will go (about 37 degrees on this one) and then bringing the wheel down until the curve of the grinding wheel is right at the top plate of the tooth. I found grinding like this tends to make a burr that breaks off muh like sharpening with a file does.

I though it seemed to cut a bit better, but decided to test it today.

The clip on the left is the experimental chain. Clip on the right is my old way of grinding.

Watching BBR's videos on the baby C chain is what made me decide to try it out.

16" .325x.063" stihl chain. both chains are worn about the same, and rakers are done with the soft wood side of a husky progressive guage.

The difference in the cutters is much more obvious on 3/8 chain. I suspect that after a few sharpenings I would have to go back and take out the gullet some jsut as one would do with square filing.

The top chain in the photo is my old way of sharpening, and the bottom is the experimental

View attachment 1038413
View attachment 1038411
Sure cuts a lot nicer.
Many guys brun the wheel down to the bottom of the cutter, but that will not give the cutter the proper side plate/hook for a round ground chain. Look at the witness mark on the side of the chain, that's approximately how it should be shaped. When I round grind I only bring the stone down into the cutter until the curve of the stone is completely into the cutter, I want no straight spots on the side plate when I'm grinding to file later anyway. You can also lean the head over drastically and then bring the side of the wheel just past the top plate, leaving a lot of hook, but only about .010-.015 into the cutter, they will cut very fast and won't be grabby(as long as you don't go any deeper), but you won't be able to sharpen them as easily unless you hold the file up or leave the gullet in.

I'll be keeping my eye out for a 400, you know, cause I "need" one lol. But I'm skeptical as the only new saw that blew me away were the 462, and that because it's very light, even so I still prefer the handling of the huskys. The 261 was a very disappointing saw, so much hype and it was just another modern-day 50cc saw, I enjoy my ported 261 with a 20, but it's handling/ ergonomics don't lend it to be the limbing saw as a 550, or even a 562 is. Maybe the 400 is light enough to make it feel better for limbing, but that doesn't normally happen with a poor handling saw until they are under 10lbs powerhead weight(such as a 241), at that weight it doesn't bother me much. The little 201 rear handle and 200 rear handle are great saws, and even though they don't feel like a husky in hand, they are so light it doesn't matter.
Far as the 562 goes, I've always just grabbed a 70cc saw, even with a 20" I'd rather have the power. I should get a ported 562, funny they didn't update them when they built the 572 and updated the 550, by the time they updated the 550 they had all the bugs worked out of them. Still like the 550mk1, best handling 50cc saw built with all the modern features 👌.
I'm 100% not a 50cc saw guy. Always figured a 60cc did so much more and barely weighed anymore. Not that I can't appreciate a 50cc saw. 346xp and 026 were great saws. And I frequently reccomend the ms261 to friends. Haven't had any time on a 550m2.
I'm a simpleton I guess. "This saw fir that. That saw fir this. I use my 50cc fir this. I use my 65cc fir that." After running a 90. Why run anything else? I mean, what else is there? I can limb a tree with a 90 ten times faster than with a 50. I don't know? After running 90cc and only 90cc, 99.9% of the time fir almost 30 years. Whenever I run something smaller than a 90 (witch isn't that often) I just think to my self. "Man! Compared to any of my 90s. This thing has absolutely no b**ls!" Yes, some of the smaller saws have impressive power to weight ratios and can be fun to run sometimes. But nothing compares to a hopped up 90! Except fir climbing applications, I just can't justify running anything else but a 90 myself! Whatever make/model. Take your pick! However, that's just me and strickly my opinion gentleman. Like I said, I'm a bit of a simpleton I guess.

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!👍
Eh, you don't really gain anything with a 20-24" bar in an 60-70cc vs the slower chain speed of a 90cc. Break out the 28"+ and use the whole length then there's a difference worth dragging the extra weight around. I'd guess about 80 odd percent of trees I deal with a 20-24" bar is all you need. 60-70cc saw works just great with that size bar in hard woods.

I'm 100% not a 50cc saw guy. Always figured a 60cc did so much more and barely weighed anymore. Not that I can't appreciate a 50cc saw. 346xp and 026 were great saws. And I frequently reccomend the ms261 to friends. Haven't had any time on a 550m2
I agree about the weight/power, and if chipper1 had a chipper, he'd probably use a 60 more lol. I'm guessing in my old age I'll probably start using a ported 60 more than a 70. I do run the ported 261 a good bit for bucking, but a 359 doesn't feel any heavier in hand, ergonomics matter 😉.
The 550mk2 is a great saw for a one saw plan, but it's quite a bit heavier than an mk1 or a 261, might as well just jump to a 60 just as you said. I think the mk2 is a great companion saw to a 572, but I really like the way the mk1 balances and moves with an 18, the mk2 feels similar with a 20 for balance just heavier.

So, why not IMO or IMHO which are common?
Never been a fan of the IMHO, to me its just a way to try to say, don't roast me for having an opinion. We all have opinions and that's what we are giving when we share something, and that's okay, we're all entitled to have an opinion. Screw this IMHO crap, it's lame!
Hope everyone has their big boy pants on dont need no:cry::laugh:.

Never been a fan of the IMHO, to me its just a way to try to say, don't roast me for having an opinion. We all have opinions and that's what we are giving when we share something, and that's okay, we're all entitled to have an opinion. Screw this IMHO crap, it's lame!
Hope everyone has their big boy pants on dont need no:cry::laugh:.
Internet etiquette can be a bunch of BS sometimes. I haven't noticed here quite as much, but on a dirtbike forum that I frequent, people will start a thread asking for opinions. In reality, they already have an opinion and just want positive affirmation of their opinion...it's all good until you state an opinion in opposition. Then all hell breaks loose and they try to make you out to be the A-hole. If you ask my opinion, don't be offended when I give it. 🤷‍♂️

@Kodiak Kid , I need to ask after multiple pages of seeing and a couple google searches: just what does "IMOP" mean?
IMOP "In My Opinion" 🤔 I think?
At least I hope that's what it means. Otherwise I've probably been confusing a lot of folks on this Forum fir a good while now! 🤷
I guess It doesn't need the "P" in the abbreviation. No wait! ☝️Its an acronym! No wait! 🤦😞.... @Hermio !!!!

IMOP "In My OPinion" Thats it! 👍😉

Another short video of the difference with sharpening. Same with the new grind being on the left. This time instead of just letting the weight of the saw do the work, I pushed on it just a bit.

Funny thing is when I got my first grinder, I had every shop within 100 miles sharpedn a chain and my chain blew theirs out of the water, and everyone I've sharpened for has said its the sharpest chain they have run.

But now that I know I can get more with the grinder, I'm a bit mad about sharpening chain the same way the last 20 years.

My wheels also don't seem to need dressed nearly as much sharpening this way.

sharpening 2.jpg

I'm 100% not a 50cc saw guy. Always figured a 60cc did so much more and barely weighed anymore. Not that I can't appreciate a 50cc saw. 346xp and 026 were great saws. And I frequently reccomend the ms261 to friends. Haven't had any time on a 550m2.

Eh, you don't really gain anything with a 20-24" bar in an 60-70cc vs the slower chain speed of a 90cc. Break out the 28"+ and use the whole length then there's a difference worth dragging the extra weight around. I'd guess about 80 odd percent of trees I deal with a 20-24" bar is all you need. 60-70cc saw works just great with that size bar in hard woods.
Im going to post a video of my , Hopped 661 bucking a 14" log with a 36" bar. Then the same log, power head, chain compliment, wheel, and grind, but with a 16" bar.
Then Im going to post a video limbing one side of a dry sound snag with my stock 360 spinning a 20" Then the other half with my stock 660 spinning a 32" both with the same size wheel, chain pitch, compliment, and grind.
We shall then see if you're theory is actually fact Sir. 👍

Give me a few days to put it all together!😉

Latest posts

Back