Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like over here you mean? That's how we've gone for a decade now. We've always had more expensive fuel and hence smaller motors.... Plus smaller roads and smaller vehicle make a bigger motor less important anyway, but the emissions rules drove European vehicles to smaller and turbocharged a decade ago. 1 litre turbocharged petrol give about 140 BHP stock, easy to drive and 50+ mpg.
I was driving a 67 Dodge R/T with a 440 CI engine 110 miles a day round trip to work. Gas was still under $1.00 a gallon for high test. I bought an 88 Chevy Sprint, 2 door, 5 speed, no air., which was made by Suzuki. Window sticker said 59 mpg hi way. I got dead on 60. I had two friends that had the same car with automatic and air. They said it was scarry changing lanes and merging. But, my little 2 door with no extras had no problem at hi way speeds. I loved it. But, at 125,000 miles every thing just started falling apart. I took it to WV hunting one year and had 4 guys in it that all weighed over 200 pounds. Never a bit of trouble. Try sticking 4, 200 pound guys in a Smart Car, that doesn't even get close to 60 mpg.

The Sprint had a 1 ltr 3 cylinder. Mine was carbureted, later sport models had turbo's.

squirrel-wreck-1.jpg

I have not done much motorized dirt bike riding even though I did briefly own a Yamaha 360 Enduro back in the day!

But I did ride with a group of crazy road bike riders (pedal bikes), and I've done 59 MPH on my bike (on the downhill) and slalomed down long windy downhills (after climbing up them) at 40-50 MPH only inches away from other riders. If you watch competitions like the Tour De France and don't understand the importance of drafting, you will if you ever ride with a group.

Let me tell you, you had better be on your game doing that! My road bike is Carbon (as are the wheels), the tires are inflated to 120 lbs and are only about an inch wide (actually 23mm is only .9 inch wide), there is no suspension, and it has pincher cork brake pads (discs on road bikes came out later, and they have cork instead of rubber because the rubber will make a carbon wheel so hot the tire will blow).

In addition to having riding skills, you must avoid any potholes, stones, branches, and animals (squirrels, wood chucks, cats, foxes, deer, and even a bear). And I did not even mention the cars (3 times I've had stuff thrown at me from moving cars).

I've witnessed a few crashes, but luckily the injuries were never as bad as they could have been (road rash instead of broken bones). The scariest was when a guy braked hard on a steep downhill curve and his wheel folded and he went across the road just barely being missed by a car coming from the opposite direction. Luckily, the car driver braked hard and fast, but I always replay that one in my mind any time I'm thinking of taking too much risk.

Another time a deer ran out from behind a solid fence and our lead rider hit is so hard that the bike cartwheeled over the front wheel. He tucked, but had the wind knocked out of him when he landed, and he stayed on the pavement for about 10 minutes. An ambulance crew arrived, checked him out, applied a few bandages and he rode home!

I've gone down several times when mountain biking, but never when road biking. Age and injuries have taken their toll, so almost all my rides now are solo, but I do miss the good old days. We used to ride 4 days a week, 25-35 miles on weekdays and 50-75 miles on Sunday. Often the group was 6-8 riders, but on a few occasions, we had 18 riders (which was really too many).
I put mucho miles on a road bike back in the day, mostly solo. Kept me in shape.

Never was tempted to try any high speed hijinks--drafting a few inches from my neighbor, no thanks.

Here in Boulder about 5--6 yrs ago a biking accident hit the news that really pissed me off. Flagstaff road is an insanely steep mountain road that curves this way & that. A group of riders was coming downhill, likely at high speed, and one guy was in the wrong lane on a blind curve. He ran right into an upcoming utility-bed pickup. Besides some broken ribs and other injuries, his left arm was ripped away from his shoulder. I just couldn't find any sympathy for what was pure stupidity. I did feel sympathy for the poor guy driving the pickup, whose workday was ruined.

I put mucho miles on a road bike back in the day, mostly solo. Kept me in shape.

Never was tempted to try any high speed hijinks--drafting a few inches from my neighbor, no thanks.

Here in Boulder about 5--6 yrs ago a biking accident hit the news that really pissed me off. Flagstaff road is an insanely steep mountain road that curves this way & that. A group of riders was coming downhill, likely at high speed, and one guy was in the wrong lane on a blind curve. He ran right into an upcoming utility-bed pickup. Besides some broken ribs and other injuries, his left arm was ripped away from his shoulder. I just couldn't find any sympathy for what was pure stupidity. I did feel sympathy for the poor guy driving the pickup, whose workday was ruined.
Man gotta know his limitations, some people never get a second chance .

When I was still working we had a young part time supervisor, got killed on his crotch rocket out on 95, well over 100 miles per hour. All the part timers were taking up a collection to have him shipped home to have a funeral service with his family. The family was to poor to do it. I felt sorry for the family, but the guy had 2 girls at work pregnant, all he did was drive up and down 95 on wheel stands. I just found it hard to feel sorry for an idiot. I don't feel people get "what they deserve" when they die like that. You don't deserve to die, just because they are stupid. But, I wasn't surprised when it happened.

I always stayed in lane and watched out for cars, but some drivers were just rude. They would crowd you on purpose, throw stuff at you, or pull out in front of you at the last minute. Don't care how good your brakes are, a road bike w/o suspension will not stop like a Mtn bike (or motorized vehicle) with suspension.

Distracted drivers (on cell phones) became common and very dangerous and most of our riders would no longer ride on the road. Two of our riders had altercations with cars, and after my wife's car was rear ended by a distracted driver, she would no longer ride on the street.

I mostly ride on the bike path now. It is OK, but boring compared to riding on the roads. No real hills or curves, and lots of folks to watch out for. I miss the old days, but guess I was lucky to survive them. It is impossible to get law enforcement to enforce the laws protecting bike riders (I went to the Traffic Safety Board meeting to try). It is very scarry when you are on a narrow two-lane road w/o a shoulder and you get crowded by a tractor trailer.

I always stayed in lane and watched out for cars, but some drivers were just rude. They would crowd you on purpose, throw stuff at you, or pull out in front of you at the last minute. Don't care how good your brakes are, a road bike w/o suspension will not stop like a Mtn bike (or motorized vehicle) with suspension.

Distracted drivers (on cell phones) became common and very dangerous and most of our riders would no longer ride on the road. Two of our riders had altercations with cars, and after my wife's car was rear ended by a distracted driver, she would no longer ride on the street.

I mostly ride on the bike path now. It is OK, but boring compared to riding on the roads. No real hills or curves, and lots of folks to watch out for. I miss the old days, but guess I was lucky to survive them. It is impossible to get law enforcement to enforce the laws protecting bike riders (I went to the Traffic Safety Board meeting to try). It is very scarry when you are on a narrow two-lane road w/o a shoulder and you get crowded by a tractor trailer.
Yea the smart ph made it dangerous for all you guys riding bikes on public roads. That distracted driving is a serious issue nowadays. Be safe out there fellas

Yea a lot of drivers just care much nowadays when road riding I usually ride the back roads , stay away from major roadways as much as I can .

Curious before I start a new thread if anyone has any ideas what would cause my 346xp to not run in the cold.

Saw is one of the later ones with the primer bulb, but like the rest of my saws with that nonsense, I don’t use it.

It will fire right up and run great in the summer, no issues at all. As soon as the temps get down below freezing though it starts a bit harder, and will only run for about 20 seconds at high idle and then did. At idle it will run a bit longer but die as well. Right off the start cold I can get a couple good revs out of it, but then it will start to bog down and not want to rev.

Any ideas?
If it is not running cold, but runs after it warms up? The carburetor is probably icing up on you. The STIHL 066 was notorious fir this. They even had there own separate bolt on winter kit to restrict cold air from coming in through the main cooling fan on the flywheel and restrict warm air from going out, so it would circulate around the carburetor more to prevent icing.

The people that say “Never use accelerants“ haven’t tried to light a wet pile.
some of the best fun i ever had... well, as a mischievious kid... was when i worked at the Texaco gas station up in Seattle. a coupon/give-a-way shop... so always plenty boxes. when the NK... new kid would show up to start work... it was always their job to go and light the burn barrel. full of boxes. simple deal. of course, us'n salts... had peppered the underside with accelerants... and of course... timing was everything. 'once u finish that, u need to go light the burn barrel'... as another salt dashed out back and.... of course, the entire crew was peeking out from behind the corner of inside. :lol: makes me :laugh: :laughing: even today!! ;)

'now go outside and lite the burn barrel... best is to use a match. here!....'
1670521608090.png

😛

Curious before I start a new thread if anyone has any ideas what would cause my 346xp to not run in the cold.

Saw is one of the later ones with the primer bulb, but like the rest of my saws with that nonsense, I don’t use it.

It will fire right up and run great in the summer, no issues at all. As soon as the temps get down below freezing though it starts a bit harder, and will only run for about 20 seconds at high idle and then did. At idle it will run a bit longer but die as well. Right off the start cold I can get a couple good revs out of it, but then it will start to bog down and not want to rev.

Any ideas?
After reading your post again. I would bet my power saw that your power saw has a problem with icing! 👍

i have seen the Grimm Reaper eyeball to eyeball before when riding my bike! hard to get over moments like that! even pedal pushing... why, just yesterday, safe in neighborhood... woman comes flying down the street off another... suddenly there she was. i had to make immediate corrective action. sometimes ya just get lucky!!!

left me a bit unsettled for the rest of the ride and evening...

i have seen the Grimm Reaper eyeball to eyeball before when riding my bike! hard to get over moments like that! even pedal pushing... why, just yesterday, safe in neighborhood... woman comes flying down the street off another... suddenly there she was. i had to make immediate corrective action. sometimes ya just get lucky!!!

left me a bit unsettled for the rest of the ride and evening...
Ever get the Death Wobble it’s a right of passage and hang on 😝

Yep, dang bidinflation.
My rig, and my rig lol.View attachment 1038842
I was thinking of you guys last night at one of my stops :laugh: .
View attachment 1038843

Funny, the guys on here that want them are all pros ;).

What grinder is that, and Oregon.
A buddy of mine has a couple saws done by Dan :chainsaw:.
one or two of them almost look like a border drug bust down here on the 6 pm news! :popcorn2:

no, but i have seen my front wheel so close to a 💩head that cut the light and turned in front of me... that i really had to think twice about that saying that 2 objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time!

one more valid proof of my Guardian Angel! :yes:

Met Dan at a GTG a few years ago .He had one of his original saws there. I'm thinking he said that saw was running in the 18K range.
Is he still alive? Last I heard from him…many years ago…he had stopped doing saws after a bad lathe accident and other health issues. He didn’t sound good over the phone from what I can remember.

well, now that i think about it... close one time! young, on vaca central WA... on pal's Triumph... modded & forks etc. rolling hard on down the farm roads... with a hot, young lass on the back! 18/19 i guess we was... warm sunny afternoon... T's, shorts & tennies. and over the hill top (farm road) wheat fields either side, house to the L... and of course, there we were at 85 or so, wind in our hair! 👍 and there was the car at -0-, just up ahead! turning L. and oncoming... another vehicle. immediate response was to turn L... pass, good road, bad situation! brakes began to wobble front wheel. that was not going to work... so i snapped head back, hollared... hang on tight! and we flew by on the R... and continued rolling on down the road! fat, dumb and happy!... albiet, a bit slower! (no alcohol involved) later that evening, my g/f had caught up enuff to herself... and realized the gravity of the situation... commented on how well i had handled the obvious! but of course, i just smiled sweetly... as i already knew! :cool:

again, sometimes u just get lucky!

was not my time! ~ (phew, that was also a scary, close call!...)

cocky, young, brash... and a salute to the G. Reaper! 👆

Latest posts

Back