Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mustang makes a very good point as well.☝️ It very well could be something very simple!
Almost sounds like maybe a clogged fuel filter? Whens the last time you dumped and flushed your tank. I dump and flush...🤣🤣 Oh man did that come out the wrong way! 🤦 ( Definitely no pun intended!)🤣🤣... my tank about every ten to fifteen gallons run through the saw. I also change fuel filters at least once a month. All this when working the saw daily In an industrial setting of course.

Ok, how long will it run before it dies if you stay on the throttle? Not necessary wide open, but staying on it a bit? I'm trying to go through all the possibilities. If we can eliminate that it’s not an icing problem? Then we are going in the right direction.
About 30 seconds. I’m thinking about going out and trying to get a video here in a bit.

I doubt you'll see much difference in different bar sizes on the same powerhead. The 660 should be slower then the 360 I'd imagine. The bigger saws Don have the rpm in the cut like the smaller displacement saws. Well, till you start to dog them in hard. I don't have any experience with the 360, but I've ran 362 I'd imagine they should be close to the same. (?)

You should see how blunt I am on my 1/5 scale rc forum. Like a sledgehammer.

.243 for life screw the crudmmore.
[\QUOTE]
Naaaaa, I don't think so.☝️ .308 for life! 👍 Without the .308. there would be no .243!😉

This👇🏻

This 👆🏼 would be my uneducated guess.

Yep. Saw have seen stored inside (not heated though). I suppose I could pull the air filter off my other saw and stick it on this one just to see what happens.
Full filter as well, or at least I wood. That's Just IMOP though. I would do one first, try it. Then the other next. If the first filter change doesn't work and the second one dose. Youl can somewhat recognize the problem next time the new filter that replaced the filter that failed gets clogged. If that makes any sense? 😂😂

Well boy do I feel like a idiot.

Normally I don't run the small saws much, so when It's acted up in the past I normally just grab a different saw and promptly forget about it.

We've gotten about a foot of snow the last two days and still coming down with a prediction of 60" by tuesday to the north of us, so this seemed like a good project for the day instead of sitting inside by the fire playing Grand Theft Auto (Yeah, yeah, I'm one of them gamer kids)

Anyway. Went back out to the shed, fired it up, and let it idle and spayed the intake and both crank seals with brake cleaner, and nothing. So I decided to try the carb.

I started backing the high out 1/8 at a time and trying to rev. It took about 5/8 of a turn but it started revving nicely, but still sounded lean as heck, and I backed it out another 1/4 turn before it started four stroking in free rev with no bar/chain on it. Running great now.

I've got it cooling down outside for a couple hours and then I'll try restarting it and seeing what happens.

Full filter as well, or at least I wood. That's Just IMOP though.
I went through this saw not too long ago and replaced the clutch, drum, recoil spring, and a few other parts. It has a new air filter on it, and I'm sure I changed the plug and fuel filter as well. And its had this problem in winters past.

Full filter as well, or at least I wood. That's Just IMOP though.
Like Mike said easy stuff first. When someone brings me a saw to work on that's running janky, fuel filter,air filter sparkplug and reset the carb if it's adjustable. Go from there. We don't get your cold temps here to worry about carb icing.

Normally I don't run the small saws much, so when It's acted up in the past I normally just grab a different saw and promptly forget about it.

We've gotten about a foot of snow the last two days and still coming down with a prediction of 60" by tuesday to the north of us, so this seemed like a good project for the day instead of sitting inside by the fire playing Grand Theft Auto (Yeah, yeah, I'm one of them gamer kids)

Anyway. Went back out to the shed, fired it up, and let it idle and spayed the intake and both crank seals with brake cleaner, and nothing. So I decided to try the carb.

I started backing the high out 1/8 at a time and trying to rev. It took about 5/8 of a turn but it started revving nicely, but still sounded lean as heck, and I backed it out another 1/4 turn before it started four stroking in free rev with no bar/chain on it. Running great now.

I've got it cooling down outside for a couple hours and then I'll try restarting it and seeing what happens.
So your carb was out of adjustment then?

:happy::happy:

I went through this saw not too long ago and replaced the clutch, drum, recoil spring, and a few other parts. It has a new air filter on it, and I'm sure I changed the plug and fuel filter as well. And its had this problem in winters past.
Problem in winter, but not summer, STIHL brings me back to icing. Im not familiar with that particular saw though. Is it s Husky?

So your carb was out of adjustment then?
It seems like it. I've never had to adjust one that much to get back into good running in the cold though.

Here after a bit I'll go out and see if it will start and run once its cooled down, and if it does start and run, I'll take it over to the wood pile and see what it takes to get it adjusted and running smooth in the cut.

Back