Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.This thread has realy gone gang busters. I fell behind in October and tried reading them all but gave up yesterday.
Did anything interesting happen in the last two months😅

Did you see we got the thread renamed!
renamed, but not re changed! lol...

Is he still alive? Last I heard from him…many years ago…he had stopped doing saws after a bad lathe accident and other health issues. He didn’t sound good over the phone from what I can remember.
Last I heard he was but not doing any saws.

we always liked to fly in it...
I can imagine air density and currents can be a pretty big deal when flying. When I was a kid working at a trap/skeet club, I knew these old timers who'd come in to shoot skeet on Saturday mornings. Most were retired pilots (one flew b-26s in WW2) and they'd tell stories about small, single engine planes getting pushed out of the sky by downdrafts, when crossing the Sierras.

Im going to post a video of my , Hopped 661 bucking a 14" log with a 36" bar. Then the same log, power head, chain compliment, wheel, and grind, but with a 16" bar.
Then Im going to post a video limbing one side of a dry sound snag with my stock 360 spinning a 20" Then the other half with my stock 660 spinning a 32" both with the same size wheel, chain pitch, compliment, and grind.
We shall then see if you're theory is actually fact Sir. 👍

Give me a few days to put it all together!😉
I doubt you'll see much difference in different bar sizes on the same powerhead. The 660 should be slower then the 360 I'd imagine. The bigger saws Don have the rpm in the cut like the smaller displacement saws. Well, till you start to dog them in hard. I don't have any experience with the 360, but I've ran 362 I'd imagine they should be close to the same. (?)
This place has a mellow vibe to it...so I try to be really polite and mellow on this forum, I'm a bit different on the dirtbike forum I'm on. People are less mellow there and they have a few members that are confident morons. I'm a much better offroad rider than I am a cutter...so I'm pretty blunt with the morons on that site. They'll just pass on really outdated or blatantly false information to new members looking for advice. I don't really get pissy with them, I'll just casually troll them...they eventually lose their cool and show themselves for who they are.
You should see how blunt I am on my 1/5 scale rc forum. Like a sledgehammer.
I hear ya.
I dislike the creedmore not because there's really anything wrong with it, but because of all the hype that people buy into. And then they defend it as if all other cartridges are now and forever obsolete, because the mighty 6.5 cm has arrived...
.243 for life screw the crudmmore.
Curious before I start a new thread if anyone has any ideas what would cause my 346xp to not run in the cold.

Saw is one of the later ones with the primer bulb, but like the rest of my saws with that nonsense, I don’t use it.

It will fire right up and run great in the summer, no issues at all. As soon as the temps get down below freezing though it starts a bit harder, and will only run for about 20 seconds at high idle and then did. At idle it will run a bit longer but die as well. Right off the start cold I can get a couple good revs out of it, but then it will start to bog down and not want to rev.

Any ideas?
This👇🏻
If it is not running cold, but runs after it warms up? The carburetor is probably icing up on you. The STIHL 066 was notorious fir this. They even had there own separate bolt on winter kit to restrict cold air from coming in through the main cooling fan on the flywheel and restrict warm air from going out, so it would circulate around the carburetor more to prevent icing.
This 👆🏼 would be my uneducated guess.

If it is not running cold, but runs after it warms up? The carburetor is probably icing up on you. The STIHL 066 was notorious fir this. They even had there own separate bolt on winter kit to restrict cold air from coming in through the main cooling fan on the flywheel and restrict warm air from going out, so it would circulate around the carburetor more to prevent icing.
Never runs long enough to get warm. If I bring it in the house and bring it up to temp, it will run, as soon as it gets cold again nothing.

I’m actually starting to wonder if I have an air leak that only shows it’s ugly face in the cold.

This place has a mellow vibe to it...so I try to be really polite and mellow on this forum, I'm a bit different on the dirtbike forum I'm on. People are less mellow there and they have a few members that are confident morons. I'm a much better offroad rider than I am a cutter...so I'm pretty blunt with the morons on that site. They'll just pass on really outdated or blatantly false information to new members looking for advice. I don't really get pissy with them, I'll just casually troll them...they eventually lose their cool and show themselves for who they are.

You should see how blunt I am on my 1/5 scale rc forum. Like a sledgehammer.

I should definitely hold my tongue more on this thread. Before Im pointed out as the neighborhood a** h*l* and shunned of the thread. 🙄
I'm on a couple different forums now other than this one. One is a hunting forum, the other a firearm's forum.
My hammer definitely comes down hard in both of those other two forums. Had some real good debates from some very knowledgeable "rivals!" However, I can honestly say I haven't been schooled yet, but, when the young cocky banny roosters pipe up! That's when their school really begins! Pretty sure some of them younger bucks have p***ed themselves after trying to rub their horns around this buck's saltlick! 😉

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Re: Saw not running in cold.

May be icing, may just be lean. Some saws are more temperamental than others re: temp and elevation changes.

Also, tune it up (plug, fuel filter, air filter) just to reduce any variables. May also want to check the tank vent.

Always check the simple stuff first. But a restricted fuel filter with a lean tune could be your problem. Part of the reason I like the new computer-controlled saws.

Never runs long enough to get warm. If I bring it in the house and bring it up to temp, it will run, as soon as it gets cold again nothing.

I’m actually starting to wonder if I have an air leak that only shows it’s ugly face in the cold.
Could very well be an air leak. That would compound an icing problem as well. After it dies can you hold the throttle wide open on the pistol grip with one hand, lay the saw's bar on a log with the other (chain break off) and "yo yo" start the saw? If you can. Run it for a few minutes without letting it die. It'll probably smoke and be a bit boggy, but run it fir a few minutes staying on the pipe as much as you can. Then after a few minutes. Let it die. Then, while staying outside, hold the saw upright with the grip pointing up and the tip on the ground. Let it sit for a minute or two. If it fires up after two or three minutes. You've got icing conditions and need to somehow block 1/2 of you air fan on the suction side. Duck tape over the outside of half your starter cover works great! 👍

Could very well be an air leak. That would compound an icing problem as well. After it dies can you hold the throttle open on the pistol grip with one hand lay the saw's bar on a log with the other (chain break off) and yo yo start the saw?
If you can. Run it for a few minutes without letting it die. It'll probably smoke and be a bit boggy, but run it fir a few minutes staying on the pipe as much as you can. Then after a few minutes. Let it die. Then, while staying outside, hold the saw upright with the grip pointing up and the tip on the ground. Let it sit for a minute or two. If it fires up after two or three minutes. You've got icing conditions and need to somehow block 1/2 of you air fan on the suction side. Duck tape over the outside of half your starter cover works great! 👍
Nope, once it dies the only way it will start is with the choke on. Adds that first 10 seconds of it running it will not rev up, just bogs, no matter how many times I restart it

Nope, once it dies the only way it will start is with the choke on. Adds that first 10 seconds of it running it will not rev up, just bogs, no matter how many times I restart it
🤔Hmmmmmm... let me think?
Your air filter is 100% dry and somewhat clean I'd imagine right?

B
But once you bring it inside to warm up. It lights off, or fires up if you will? (Starts)🤣

Latest posts

Back