Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 400 takes several tanks to break in and show it's true colors. They then run like a good running 044/440. They really benefit from a muffler mod too. Some go bark box, I make my own copycat of the bark box that's less obnoxious.
I don't think Brett has ever had to "break in a new saw". :buttkick: :innocent:

The 400 takes several tanks to break in and show it's true colors. They then run like a good running 044/440. They really benefit from a muffler mod too. Some go bark box, I make my own copycat of the bark box that's less obnoxious.
Most the new saws do, or you could just run some Dino oil in them for break in ;).
The bark box on my 462 and the one on @Honyuk96 362 are both pretty obnoxious, but then again, so is the triple ported muffler on my 372xp oe :surprised3:.
Well I decided I'm feeling decent so BRUFAB ain't having all the fun! Off to do some slow pace easy scrounging.
My aim is to get some saw therapy, and get fresh fuel in the 700, the larger craftoulan,Stihl 051 ( to get in my daily work out, and the 291 I just finished.

View attachment 1039464
Wow, is that the new 700i :lol:.
Looks like a great time for sure.
Those 291s are a great firewooding saw, I've cut a lot of firewood with them.
I have a lot of nice Stihl saws but the 011 rear handle and top handle are my favorite. Reed valve, nice low end torque. Enjoy your scrounge. Let the Dolmars know they can be replaced and they will work harder.
I was gonna say, they guys who have them seem to really like them.
I don't think Brett has ever had to "break in a new saw". :buttkick: :innocent:
What's funny about that, is just because I rarely buy a new saw at a dealer, I've bought more new (as in not ran) saws than you'd think, and broke in a few of them, but very few lol.
I see no reason to buy new, for the most part warrantees I've found are useless. But at least I got that fiscars warranty off my garage sale axe :happy:.

Most the new saws do, or you could just run some Dino oil in them for break in ;).
The bark box on my 462 and the one on @Honyuk96 362 are both pretty obnoxious, but then again, so is the triple ported muffler on my 372xp oe :surprised3:.

Wow, is that the new 700i :lol:.
Looks like a great time for sure.
Those 291s are a great firewooding saw, I've cut a lot of firewood with them.

I was gonna say, they guys who have them seem to really like them.

What's funny about that, is just because I rarely buy a new saw at a dealer, I've bought more new (as in not ran) saws than you'd think, and broke in a few of them, but very few lol.
I see no reason to buy new, for the most part warrantees I've found are useless. But at least I got that fiscars warranty off my garage sale axe :happy:.
Pro mac 700

Banging away with the SS splitting like crazy and knocking down my pile. I'm hoping for very little snow this year as I want to try and get this entire pile split. My wood pile goes back as far as it is wide now. Over the last few weeks I brought down at least 4 cord of wood.

Attachments

• 20221210_155027.jpg
    20221210_155027.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221210_155005.jpg
    20221210_155005.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
You know, all this cold weather talk got me thinking.

You southern boys really don’t know about the worst part of it being that cold.

Imagine if you will, trying to dig 2” of pecker out of 6” of Carhartt when you gotta take a leak.
Well, if you only got 2", you definitely have a problem!

SR

My buddy and me cut a load of firewood this morning,

Resized-20221210-114549-S.jpg

Ended up with a nice load,

Resized-20221210-114914-S.jpg

We'll split it some other time,

SR

Had to do some running around this morning before I went to work. Got chicken feed, pine shavings, new water bucket. Realized I needed gas in the truck. For some reason I had 2 5gal cans in the back too. Stopped at sheetz in Lebanon. Here they just put non ethonal fuel at the pump. 90 octane and same price as mid grade gas. With my sheetz card I got a few extra cents knocked off it. Filled the truck up from just off empty and the 2 cans. If it's gonna be that easy to get and they keep it priced like it is now I'll likely change over to e-free for my equipment. The closest place previously I went to was a half hour drive and cost around $5.00 gal. I like $3.86 better.
Yesterday I got the sway bars for my kubota. Mark Hodge made them. Top notch construction, and the kit was very nice. Installation was a snap. So much easier then the dang chains and turn buckles. I need to find a rops bar for it yet. I'd like to make a winter cab for it and I'd really like a decent canopy to keep the sun at bay over sumer.

Attachments

• 20221209_135809.jpg
    20221209_135809.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Had to do some running around this morning before I went to work. Got chicken feed, pine shavings, new water bucket. Realized I needed gas in the truck. For some reason I had 2 5gal cans in the back too. Stopped at sheetz in Lebanon. Here they just put non ethonal fuel at the pump. 90 octane and same price as mid grade gas. With my sheetz card I got a few extra cents knocked off it. Filled the truck up from just off empty and the 2 cans. If it's gonna be that easy to get and they keep it priced like it is now I'll likely change over to e-free for my equipment. The closest place previously I went to was a half hour drive and cost around $5.00 gal. I like $3.86 better.
Yesterday I got the sway bars for my kubota. Mark Hodge made them. Top notch construction, and the kit was very nice. Installation was a snap. So much easier then the dang chains and turn buckles. I need to find a rops bar for it yet. I'd like to make a winter cab for it and I'd really like a decent canopy to keep the sun at bay over sumer.
Did that to mine too . EZY- PZY 👍

Attachments

• 101362D6-CBD0-4F92-AE5E-B8E1E74B7733.jpeg
    101362D6-CBD0-4F92-AE5E-B8E1E74B7733.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Well Christmas is coming and my wife has been dropping hints. I bought 2 of these forage wagons for the apron chains, gear boxs etc. ( yes, I still have the hydraulic drive one I bought 7 or 8 years ago but I'll use it soon too. I might leave the one with the roof to store some wood in or maybe other storage. Pulled it 80 kms per hour down the road with my wife following. She was pretty pizzed. It was only a couple miles down the sideroad from the auction to our place. I also bought 12 pieces of railway track about 5 or 6' long each they were pretty heavy so she took the Dodge and I had the Ford and car hauler for the boxes. . I'm gonna cut them to 16" pieces and next wise azz wanna be black smith that tries to lowball me on my Peter Wright is gonna get a chunk of railway track shipped to him. They have a bunch more of the boxes and said I could have all I want. I'm tempted to buy them all and some day when my wife isn't home I will haul them home and make a snow wind break along out property. I'm sure she would be impressed. And a picture from today showing that it's time to put the chains on. PS, Chipper I know you are gonna ask so I'll tell you they were pretty reasonable. Damn, I just took a picture of the receipt and realized I bought 3 of them and not two, now I have to go back and get the other one. Guess I'll save one for Valentines Day.

Attachments

• 20221210_151107.jpg
    20221210_151107.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221210_154923.jpg
    20221210_154923.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221210_163919.jpg
    20221210_163919.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221210_163937.jpg
    20221210_163937.jpg
  • 20221210_155319.jpg
    20221210_155319.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221210_155320.jpg
    20221210_155320.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221210_151201.jpg
    20221210_151201.jpg
  • 20221210_151122.jpg
    20221210_151122.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221210_190719.jpg
    20221210_190719.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 0
Well Christmas is coming and my wife has been dropping hints. I bought 2 of these forage wagons for the apron chains, gear boxs etc. ( yes, I still have the hydraulic drive one I bought 7 or 8 years ago but I'll use it soon too. I might leave the one with the roof to store some wood in or maybe other storage. Pulled it 80 kms per hour down the road with my wife following. She was pretty pizzed. It was only a couple miles down the sideroad from the auction to our place. I also bought 12 pieces of railway track about 5 or 6' long each they were pretty heavy so she took the Dodge and I had the Ford and car hauler for the boxes. . I'm gonna cut them to 16" pieces and next wise azz wanna be black smith that tries to lowball me on my Peter Wright is gonna get a chunk of railway track shipped to him. They have a bunch more of the boxes and said I could have all I want. I'm tempted to buy them all and some day when my wife isn't home I will haul them home and make a snow wind break along out property. I'm sure she would be impressed. And a picture from today showing that it's time to put the chains on. PS, Chipper I know you are gonna ask so I'll tell you they were pretty reasonable. Damn, I just took a picture of the receipt and realized I bought 3 of them and not two, now I have to go back and get the other one. Guess I'll save one for Valentines Day.
Dang bro, you got the hookup.
We're gonna be able to see your place much better from space now 🤣.
Tell your wife I said she's lucky to have found a guy like you :laugh:.

My buddy and me cut a load of firewood this morning,

Resized-20221210-114549-S.jpg

Ended up with a nice load,

Resized-20221210-114914-S.jpg

We'll split it some other time,

SR
Nice haul Rob.
Was a pretty nice day out for cutting. Where's all the snow, the grounds covered at our place and it's been snowing lightly all day.

Congrats on the new ride.
One of my best friends in high school had one, we did a lot of wheeling in it(we put a 4" suspension lift and 35's on it) only thing I didn't like was he'd roll my hair up in the window (they were electric), couldn't do that these days 🤣.
Im thinking about lifting this one. Its fully decked out with electric windows as well.

That looks familiar, used to help my Dad haul hay from Bill Wards (guy that had the elk ranch) in Delta Junction to Soldotna View attachment 1039317
I think the the guy that owns the place now is Pleggerman?

Sorry to interrupt your tool scrounge in the cold thread, carry on and may your hunt be successful.
I grew up about a half mile past the Ward farm. Scott Plagerman has the place now.

Latest posts

Back