Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO that's partly why virtually all modern saws benefit from muffler mods. Less heat equals a better work saw, it's just a fine balance between power/heat dispersion and excess noise.
In addition, they choke down the exhaust to comply with emissions ... at the expense of performance and saw life! Excess heat kills saws.

The standard is just plain "stupid"! It is based on particle/hour based ONLY on the size of the saw. Which means, you may have to give up 20% performance to PU 5% better emissions and that is OK!!! It is just plain stupid!

that saw and beam reminds me of a tv show i watched last nite. awesome show! PBS 8... mid-term + 1 on the 5 yr restoration of Notre Dam Catherdral. View attachment 1040897

a restoration project (process) of almost unprecedented scale! the timber to be used for support and for replacement section of the docuvid were amazing. hunting for one oak, needing 850 in a forest of over 8,000 acres! the effort and archetectural expertise involved is unreal. "an extrodinary show of architectural and historical restoration expertise" one expert was quoted saying. and everything has to be to original standards. ex, only one company in the world can and does make replacement vintage glass as used originally in the catherdral. WOW! a glass blower blows a bulb. rolls it red hot into a tube. expands it into a cylinder. swings it in special stand, it is heavy, and gravity pulls it from ball to cyl. then once a cyl, a scrible line thru middle. t-b. 'tap! it cracks... perfectly... is reheated slowly... and teased into opening and then flowing out slowly into being a pane of glass! the show was full of such amazing skills. talents. abilities. the metal work research includes electron microscopes... the architectural engineering involved to build it originally, had surprises even for today's best! ~

their goal for completion of the restoration's deadline is for the 2024 Olympics... 🤞
View attachment 1040899

Rats. I saw that channel surfing and was going to record it. Forgot.

Geez, where is everybody? Nearly 6 hours without a post in here.

I'm busy in the shop... I've spent the last 7 days away for work and need to catch up on a couple of saw builds now that I'm home. As luck would have it, 2 separate people want me to port their 461s...saves me a bit of time on the machine work side of things.

Cutting squish bands:
IMG_20221215_180826792_HDR.jpg

How I clean them up afterwards:
IMG_20221215_180856080_HDR.jpg

Well, my neighbor lent me a Fiskars yesterday evening. I'm not sure what model, but its at least six pounds with a 36" handle and boy is it one fast wood splitting son of a gun! I've never split a pile of wood so fast! 🤷 I think I split two cord in an hour!👍 Unbelievable!
IMG_20221215_161458558_HDR.jpgIMG_20221215_161550625_HDR.jpgOh no wait!

Just a second, wrong photos! 🙄

Well my neighbor lent me his Fis...Doooe!😖
Hold on! hold on!
Screenshot_20221214-231907-247~2.pngScreenshot_20221214-224616~2.png

Those weren't the right photos either!..

...I don't know How I ended up with those last pics? 🤷 I mean, they aren't mine!...

...Ok here we go! These are the right photos! 👍 Alright then! Were was I?🤔
☝️ Oh yeah!
Well, my neighbor lent me his Fiskars yesterday evening. Im not sure what model, but its at least six pounds with a 36" handle and boy is it one fast wood splitting son of a gun! I've never split a pile of wood so fast!🤷 I think I split two cord in an hour!👍 Unbelievable!IMG_20221215_170125534.jpgIMG_20221215_170401925.jpgIMG_20221215_165552404.jpg
🤥

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!😉

I know a couple of y'all were interested in my planned tear-down/build up of the 543xp clone saw. Anyway, the saw was on my front porch when I came home. It started right up and runs, but needs some tuning. I'm going to make some test cuts with it in daylight, but the plan is to do a tear down on it and do port/machine work on it...also fix any issues I find along the way. Hopefully, I'll get to it in the next couple of weeks...I've got a couple of other saws that I need to finish first.

Just because I'm curious about this as a saw to throw on the front of my dirtbikes, I threw it on the scale. It weighs 10lb, 14.2oz; Mk1 550xp weighs 12lb, 15oz; Stihl 201tcm top handle weighs 9lb, 5.2oz; and my Echo 2511t weighs 5lb, 15.2oz. All weights are wet, but w/ no bar/chain.
IMG_20221215_193354876.jpg.cd73f556f77079989dfa1cee3997c92d.jpg

I know a couple of y'all were interested in my planned tear-down/build up of the 543xp clone saw. Anyway, the saw was on my front porch when I came home. It started right up and runs, but needs some tuning. I'm going to make some test cuts with it in daylight, but the plan is to do a tear down on it and do port/machine work on it...also fix any issues I find along the way. Hopefully, I'll get to it in the next couple of weeks...I've got a couple of other saws that I need to finish first.

Just because I'm curious about this as a saw to throw on the front of my dirtbikes, I threw it on the scale. It weighs 10lb, 14.2oz; Mk1 550xp weighs 12lb, 15oz; Stihl 201tcm top handle weighs 9lb, 5.2oz; and my Echo 2511t weighs 5lb, 15.2oz. All weights are wet, but w/ no bar/chain.
IMG_20221215_193354876.jpg.cd73f556f77079989dfa1cee3997c92d.jpg
Mine was way out of tune when I got it, and it didn't want to straighten out..... I'm interested to hear your experience with tuning it when you get to it.

This doesn't read much different from the stuff I read 50 years ago... which supported the purchase of my Remington 700 BDL .30-06. 😉
Nothing about the 30-06 will ever change!👍 Nothing!
Everything you read about the 30-06 these days that has been written recently. Has already been written in history by someone else either here or there. In one way or another!👍 Everything!

Shoot safe gentleman!😉

Well, my neighbor lent me his Fiskars yesterday evening. Im not sure what model, but its at least six pounds with a 36" handle and boy is it one fast wood splitting son of a gun! I've never split a pile of wood so fast!🤷 I think I split two cord in an hour!👍 Unbelievable!
That is the Fiskars IsoCore 8 lb splitting maul. I hear they are very good, but I've not used one.

You still have to give their X-27 Splitting Axe a try and let me know how they compare.

As you already noted, they make good products!

That is the Fiskars IsoCore 8 lb splitting maul. I hear they are very good, but I've not used one.

You still have to give their X-27 Splitting Axe a try and let me know how they compare.

As you already noted, they make good products!
Well, even though my post about borrowing my neighbors Fiskars and splitting two cords in an hour was pretty much just a joke. (Maybe a stupid one, 🤷 but a joke none the less. Im a simpleton! my Saws are sharper than I am!) I did however conduct a wood splitting drill with the 8lb Fiskars and it is definitely more efficient and effective than a regular 8lb maul. I will be rondevouzing with a Fiskars Supplier ASAP! 😒 To aquire the well balanced weapon against wood and it shall then be added to my current arsenal of wood splitting arms at hand!😒 Id like to try the ☠️X-27☠️ though! However, intel sources report that they are in high demand and on a first come first serve basis and that it may be a while until supplies are dropped!🤕How long is the handle and how many pounds dose this enemy of unsplit firewood weight? This infamous☠️ X27☠️? 😒

This message will self destruct In minus 10,9,8,7...

Latest posts

Back