Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, @Sawdust Man and someone else expressed interest in my findings on the chinesieum 543xp clone saw and why they run so crappy. I've got a little downtime while waiting for parts on another saw, so I'm tearing into it right now.

Found the supplied intake gasket blocks off the strato ports entirely...I can almost guarantee that's the issue with them. IMG_20221226_171417824_HDR.jpg

I decided to do a full tear down on it and port it. Squish is really wide at .050"...it would be a prime candidate for a base gasket delete, but I'll throw mine on the lathe.

Some other shots of the cylinder, I gotta say that this is the nicest clone cylinder I've ever seen...you could tell me it was OEM and I'd believe you.
IMG_20221226_171237379_HDR.jpgIMG_20221226_171246661_HDR.jpg

IIRC, @Sawdust Man and someone else expressed interest in my findings on the chinesieum 543xp clone saw and why they run so crappy. I've got a little downtime while waiting for parts on another saw, so I'm tearing into it right now.

Found the supplied intake gasket blocks off the strato ports entirely...I can almost guarantee that's the issue with them. View attachment 1044057

I decided to do a full tear down on it and port it. Squish is really wide at .050"...it would be a prime candidate for a base gasket delete, but I'll throw mine on the lathe.

Some other shots of the cylinder, I gotta say that this is the nicest clone cylinder I've ever seen...you could tell me it was OEM and I'd believe you.
View attachment 1044058View attachment 1044059
Yeah, I was hoping to see what you find.....

Thanks, and please keep it up.

Mine puked and froze up on the second tank.... is it possible the strato port being plugged off caused it to seize up?

I've been stuck inside these last couple of days because of the weather so I threw together a temporary work surface out of scrounged material. If any of you have a table saw and are like me, you'll use it as a work bench.
IMG_1516.JPG
I can now work on my saws in the basement instead of the unheated garage. Have a couple of MS170s, mine and my Brothers, that need new oil pump kits. And now I can take my time and learn how to really sharpen chains by hand to make them cut like near new.

Speaking of which, serveral of yo have mentioned the Pherd 2 in 1 file guide:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003M4JLE...olid=13DPOYGXRRQEC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Anyone ever use a knock-off like this one (or others):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YVNPXD...olid=13DPOYGXRRQEC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
About half the cost. Really any difference in performance?

Yeah, I was hoping to see what you find.....

Thanks, and please keep it up.

Mine puked and froze up on the second tank.... is it possible the strato port being plugged off caused it to seize up?

I can't say for sure, but that might be a possibility. My hypothesis is, that with only 1/2 the normal intake volume, the fuel circuit may not have been flowing its full potential in...possibly causing it to run lean and/or hot. Another possibility is if there was an air leak. I don't know what else would've caused it...the cylinder and piston actually look very nice with a very nice chamfer on the port edges.

Speaking of which, serveral of yo have mentioned the Pherd 2 in 1 file guide: . . .
Anyone ever use a knock-off like this one (or others): . . .
Have not used or seen this one in person. My experience with other sharpener knockoffs has been poor. Cheap quality. Poor fit/finish/function.

Despite looking alike, I suspect that the file quality will be different, compared to the OEM ones supplied by Pferd. So, if you buy the cheaper one, save $13 (Amazon pricing), and have to replace the special, rectangular file for $14, you will still have the cheap knockoff version with no savings.

Maybe I’m being too subtle here in my recommendation?

Philbert

Have not used or seen this one in person. My experience with other sharpener knockoffs has been poor. Cheap quality. Poor fit/finish/function.

Despite looking alike, I suspect that the file quality will be different, compared to the OEM ones supplied by Pferd. So, if you buy the cheaper one, save $13 (Amazon pricing), and have to replace the special, rectangular file for $14, you will still have the cheap knockoff version with no savings.

Maybe I’m being too subtle here in my recommendation?

Philbert
Yeh, your right. Didn't think about file quality/replacement cost. Having one of my Cheap moments.

I've been stuck inside these last couple of days because of the weather so I threw together a temporary work surface out of scrounged material. If any of you have a table saw and are like me, you'll use it as a work bench.
View attachment 1044093
I can now work on my saws in the basement instead of the unheated garage. Have a couple of MS170s, mine and my Brothers, that need new oil pump kits. And now I can take my time and learn how to really sharpen chains by hand to make them cut like near new.

Speaking of which, serveral of yo have mentioned the Pherd 2 in 1 file guide:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003M4JLE...olid=13DPOYGXRRQEC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Anyone ever use a knock-off like this one (or others):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YVNPXD...olid=13DPOYGXRRQEC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I finally broke down and cut a piece of plywood just right to cover my table saw for when I need another work surface.
I think I will route a trough in it to catch run away parts and pieces.

Yeh, your right. Didn't think about file quality/replacement cost. Having one of my Cheap moments.
I am generally ’frugal’. But, when it comes to tools, I am usually happy, in the long run, going with ‘the real thing’. Save money by not buying things you don’t need.

Philbert

I finally broke down and cut a piece of plywood just right to cover my table saw for when I need another work surface.
I think I will route a trough in it to catch run away parts and pieces.
I was going to run a strip of plywood around the back section to keep that from happening. But it's easier to store this way. I way put short sides ion the front section to keep parts from straying.

Yes it is. This Wikipedia entry is very brief for such a famous company though:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._Remington_and_Sons
Thanks for the feedback!

I've walked past that thing a 1000 times but it never crossed my mind to research it. It has a serial number, which is a great start, and I actually like looking up old things, have done so for a few antique/deactivated guns that friends of mine own, for example, including an old Schmidt Rubin 1889, and a black powder Husqvarna side-by-side. Fun times for a history nerd like me!

It's a Remington 12, according to the serial number it was made in april 1926. Twenty years before that, the typewriter business as well as the rights to use the Remington name had already been sold to 'Standard', as the wikipedia article mentions.

Apparently, my grandfather brought it home from work. It has the Belgian 'azerty' layout, I wonder if it was produced like that in the States or maybe modified here.

Batteries are subsidized here now. Which is good, but also a tell tale. 'They' are just not able to provide ample power at peak use anymore. Which is something that knowledgeable people have been predicting for years, by the way... We all use shitloads of power I guess, but rather than admitting the truth (which was already bleak enough without the prospect of a massive amount of electric cars and a planned increase in electric heating) the powers that be just keep on playing the 'don't worry!' game. I guess we'll see...
Not only that but our electrical grid is obsolete. California and Texas are always doing brownouts according to the News. With the bigger use of electrical power will come the higher cost of use and more brownouts. Add to that the losers that are attacking power sub stations and shutting the power down.

23* here and it almost feels like Spring. It was so warm that I went out and installed my new hydraulic toplink on my tractor. I should have bought this back in 2016.
Those are so nice, one of the first things I wanted to add to my tractor but other projects kept getting in the way. I was also thinking about adding a cylinder to one of my lift arms that also never got done. I just had a box blade at the time and I wanted to fix a section of the access road which was a mess with ruts/potholes, and the sides had become higher than the road making it like a shallow creek. The box blade weighs 600 lbs and it was a PITA trying to tilt it so I could crown the road. My tractor is relatively short so I tried running it perpendicular to the road, pulling the soil to the middle which gave me an angle to work off of. Brought a bunch of stone in and it held up nicely.

P8140001.JPG

On the off chance it starts heating it would over load either of my current generators if anything else is running at the same time. Easier to just cut power to it and go on living like normal and not having to step up to a bigger generator. Keep the deep freeze, fridge and the lights on. One day I'll score a bigger generator and not have to worry about it.
There are a lot of great deals on Marketplace for used generators in my area. I'm pretty sure I have a 6500w and [2] 7000w Generac generators that I paid $200 for each of them. Two needed carb cleanings and all needed a new battery for the electric start. We have one for our house, one for the farm and one for my daughters house.

Not only that but our electrical grid is obsolete. California and Texas are always doing brownouts according to the News. With the bigger use of electrical power will come the higher cost of use and more brownouts. Add to that the losers that are attacking power sub stations and shutting the power down.
Our grid is obsolete too, it has come so far that because of added wind turbine capacity, some lines are at max load and solar panels owners connected to that same main line can't sell their surplus production anymore.
Also, I'm not against renewables, far from it, but policy makers here seem to consider them the holy grail, disregarding their drawbacks. The only viable option in my opinion is nuclear, together with (as much as possible) renewables. But nooo, the (proposed) approach of the green party here, believe it or not, was to add natural gas powered plants, as a 'temporary' measure untill we go "100% renewable" (Ha! Bollocks...). They thought one plant would be enough, and that it wouldn't need to run all the time. More realistic calculations made it clear that we would need 2 - 3 running constantly.

The (obviously very regrettable) war in the Ukraine made them change their stance though... Seems like some people need to be 'slapped in the face' with reality before they understand what others see coming from miles away. Sad that said people run this country.

Those are so nice, one of the first things I wanted to add to my tractor but other projects kept getting in the way. I was also thinking about adding a cylinder to one of my lift arms that also never got done. I just had a box blade at the time and I wanted to fix a section of the access road which was a mess with ruts/potholes, and the sides had become higher than the road making it like a shallow creek. The box blade weighs 600 lbs and it was a PITA trying to tilt it so I could crown the road. My tractor is relatively short so I tried running it perpendicular to the road, pulling the soil to the middle which gave me an angle to work off of. Brought a bunch of stone in and it held up nicely.

View attachment 1044178
Very nice job on the road. I thought about the hydraulic side link for my tractor. I don't think that I have ever adjusted the side link on any of my tractors over the years to do grading work. I'm sure it would be very handy for tapering road edges. My farmer friend does our farm driveway with his tractor every year. That driveway also goes out to his farm out back. My main logging road is quite similar to your road. What a difference 3/4 stone has made to stiffen it up over the years. I don't have to grade it at all anymore.

Our grid is obsolete too, it has come so far that because of added wind turbine capacity, some lines are at max load and solar panels owners connected to that same main line can't sell their surplus production anymore.
Also, I'm not against renewables, far from it, but policy makers here seem to consider them the holy grail, disregarding their drawbacks. The only viable option in my opinion is nuclear, together with (as much as possible) renewables. But nooo, the (proposed) approach of the green party here, believe it or not, was to add natural gas powered plants, as a 'temporary' measure untill we go "100% renewable" (Ha! Bollocks...). They thought one plant would be enough, and that it wouldn't need to run all the time. More realistic calculations made it clear that we would need 2 - 3 running constantly.

The (obviously very regrettable) war in the Ukraine made them change their stance though... Seems like some people need to be 'slapped in the face' with reality before they understand what others see coming from miles away. Sad that said people run this country.
We have those same fools running America. They have no idea about anything and no common sense.

Back