Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize I've asked about tachometers before and most of you have top of the line no wire units. I don't mind having to wrap a wire around the spark plug wire, what little I'll use it. Does anyone have a "RunLeader" or "Hardine" brand? I don't mind a slow response, just something to get me in the ball park.

Neighbor had this come down Christmas Day and couldn’t get his saw started. I was out of town but took care of it for him today. Got some wood out of it too. Not sure what I did last time I filed the chain on my 357 but it would barely cut for me. Gunna go back and check it out tomorrow when I have a little free time. Sharpened the 372 the same way/time and it was cutting nicely

Attachments

• 366D2F79-DA48-4B61-844D-290FD26A9E47.jpeg
    366D2F79-DA48-4B61-844D-290FD26A9E47.jpeg
    990.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 54163445-2F40-4771-83CF-7845B8DF4E07.jpeg
    54163445-2F40-4771-83CF-7845B8DF4E07.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 5C84979A-D3B0-49C6-940C-D365FE00022C.jpeg
    5C84979A-D3B0-49C6-940C-D365FE00022C.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • 28CEB3CA-A864-4167-B9E8-E752105640BB.jpeg
    28CEB3CA-A864-4167-B9E8-E752105640BB.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 869166E9-8A41-4956-A50F-02E2E8EFEF5A.jpeg
    869166E9-8A41-4956-A50F-02E2E8EFEF5A.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
That last storm was really bad
My sister and her husband lost their truck to a fallen tree. He is pissed about that. I think they will total it. It needs a new cab, two front doors and a possible hood.
My neighbors mother, had two of her neighbors, loose there houses, Christmas Eve. Both big Oaks. One house it cut it in half all the way to the foundation. The other crushed the second floor. They were told they couldn't go back in at all thill the tree was cleared. Then they might condemn the whole house. I haven't heard updates?

My neighbors mother, had two of her neighbors, loose there houses, Christmas Eve. Both big Oaks. One house it cut it in half all the way to the foundation. The other crushed the second floor. They were told they couldn't go back in at all thill the tree was cleared. Then they might condemn the whole house. I haven't heard updates?
What a sad deal, and even worse to happen on Christmas.

Being the only guy in my HS typing class was distracting in a very good way…. However I did learn to type which has served me well!😉
Me too! The prettiest girl in school was in my class, or I was in hers? She was a senior and I was in the tenth grade. I registered for classes late because I transferred from a private school. I was so far ahead of my class, they put me in all Junior and Senior classes. We had assigned seats, and on the first day she moved next to me. Was always nice, and chatted. Never dawned on me she might actually have liked me. After she graduated one of my friends asked if I ever took her out? I said she was 2 years older than me? He said, "Stupid, she didn't know you were younger. She just new you were the new kid in school and had a crush on you. You were in a Seniors class, she thought you were the same age!" Win some, loose some.

I'm really glad I removed some of the smaller pines near my house a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure they would've snapped in the snow storm we got last Christmas...seemed as if every pine less than 12" snapped.

I still have plenty of large trees near the house, but it would take some freakish hurricane force wind to topple them. Besides some of them are 125' tall, kinda hard to clear around the house and still feel like you're in the woods.

Higher up the mountain, we do get hurricane force winds on the ridge tops. A ridgetop weather station reported a 200+mph gust not far from this picture a couple years ago...about 1/2 the trees in this pic were all snapped off:
IMG_20210613_132349851_HDR.jpg.a9f09200d16119ec2559fdee927007c8.jpg

After cutting up those large pines for a neighbor on Christmas Eve, I set out to start felling dead Red Oak for firewood. This one was about 18" DBH, and more or less carrying it's weight in a direction that would work for the trees around it. So, notched and back cut in about 1:38:

Then, before the fingers went numb, I finished up the tank of mix on bucking it:

View attachment 1044004

Didn't get the whole log bucked before I ran out of mix, but I have off tomorrow too, and the weather is supposed to be perfect again for splitting, hauling, and stacking.

You know those are my favorite size Oaks!

23* here and it almost feels like Spring. It was so warm that I went out and installed my new hydraulic toplink on my tractor. I should have bought this back in 2016.
Back in the late 70's I bought a JD 2010 to operate my Bliss wood splitter. Old Man Bliss told me it took a min of 40 HP to run it. The guy I got the 2010 diesel from told me it was rated at 42, so I was good to go. I could stack a 1/4 cord of wood on the tray and bring it out of the woods. Every time I switched implements I couldn't get the center link to screw. After going through 2 of mine and one of my neighbors, I realized I was stripping the threads out of them. Went up to Southern States and asked if they had a heavier duty center link? He said sure, went over to a shelf and handed my a hydraulic center link. Never looked back. When I got my Ford 641 the first thing I did was go to Southern States and they no longer carried them.

Me too! The prettiest girl in school was in my class, or I was in hers? She was a senior and I was in the tenth grade. I registered for classes late because I transferred from a private school. I was so far ahead of my class, they put me in all Junior and Senior classes. We had assigned seats, and on the first day she moved next to me. Was always nice, and chatted. Never dawned on me she might actually have liked me. After she graduated one of my friends asked if I ever took her out? I said she was 2 years older than me? He said, "Stupid, she didn't know you were younger. She just new you were the new kid in school and had a crush on you. You were in a Seniors class, she thought you were the same age!" Win some, loose some.
I am not the best looking guy around but have blundered a few away in that manner as well LOL

I think half of the guys in our grade were all pining after the same gal who never dated anyone from our school anyhow lol. And because of it, we let a lot of good looking gals slip through our fingers.

Back in the late 70's I bought a JD 2010 to operate my Bliss wood splitter. Old Man Bliss told me it took a min of 40 HP to run it. The guy I got the 2010 diesel from told me it was rated at 42, so I was good to go. I could stack a 1/4 cord of wood on the tray and bring it out of the woods. Every time I switched implements I couldn't get the center link to screw. After going through 2 of mine and one of my neighbors, I realized I was stripping the threads out of them. Went up to Southern States and asked if they had a heavier duty center link? He said sure, went over to a shelf and handed my a hydraulic center link. Never looked back. When I got my Ford 641 the first thing I did was go to Southern States and they no longer carried them.
Sweet you have a 600 series? We have a 651, seems to do all we ask of it.

I realize I've asked about tachometers before and most of you have top of the line no wire units. I don't mind having to wrap a wire around the spark plug wire, what little I'll use it. Does anyone have a "RunLeader" or "Hardine" brand? I don't mind a slow response, just something to get me in the ball park.
For tuning saws, I use a cheap Tusk brand tach/hour meter. I don't even have to wrap the plug wire, I just get it close to plug and it picks up.

I don't know if this is the sorta thing your looking for, but I ordered from where I get a lot of my dirtbike parts: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-tach-hour-meter-p

For tuning saws, I use a cheap Tusk brand tach/hour meter. I don't even have to wrap the plug wire, I just get it close to plug and it picks up.

I don't know if this is the sorta thing your looking for, but I ordered from where I get a lot of my dirtbike parts: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-tach-hour-meter-p
Thanks for that link, I didn't know I needed one in my life till now🤣 I'm curious to see what my old magnesium monsters are churning at :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back