Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks man, yea that is one saw I always wanted. Then I would want more and more and more😂
I got pretty carried away already with the Remingtons I was averaging alil over 1 a month there this year😆. Them Remingtons are the Rodney Dangerfield of saws they gets no respect 🤣

A friend/neighbor works at a auto repair shop. He had a customer that asked him if knew anybody that would take the wood that was left after a company cut down a large red oak in her front yard. She said the were going to take all of the wood/branches away............. weeks later this wood was still there. Today my brother and I got what we could take today. Rolled the big stuff up a ramp on a trailer, easy!. It's green but it will good next year and I never fired up the saw!.IMG_5048.jpgView attachment 104433220221227_165919.jpg

A friend/neighbor works at a auto repair shop and had he a customer that asked him if knew anybody that would take the wood that was left after a company cut down a large red oak in her front yard. She said the were going to take all of the wood/branches away............. weeks later this wood was still there. Today my brother and I got what we could take today. It's green but it will good next year and never fired up the saw!.View attachment 1044328View attachment 1044332
Wow now that's a scrounge if there ever was one!

Back in the late 70's I bought a JD 2010 to operate my Bliss wood splitter. Old Man Bliss told me it took a min of 40 HP to run it. The guy I got the 2010 diesel from told me it was rated at 42, so I was good to go. I could stack a 1/4 cord of wood on the tray and bring it out of the woods. Every time I switched implements I couldn't get the center link to screw. After going through 2 of mine and one of my neighbors, I realized I was stripping the threads out of them. Went up to Southern States and asked if they had a heavier duty center link? He said sure, went over to a shelf and handed my a hydraulic center link. Never looked back. When I got my Ford 641 the first thing I did was go to Southern States and they no longer carried them.
They are easy to find now online.

My neighbors mother, had two of her neighbors, loose there houses, Christmas Eve. Both big Oaks. One house it cut it in half all the way to the foundation. The other crushed the second floor. They were told they couldn't go back in at all thill the tree was cleared. Then they might condemn the whole house. I haven't heard updates?
That really is a tragedy. I hope they have insurance.

Me too! The prettiest girl in school was in my class, or I was in hers? She was a senior and I was in the tenth grade. I registered for classes late because I transferred from a private school. I was so far ahead of my class, they put me in all Junior and Senior classes. We had assigned seats, and on the first day she moved next to me. Was always nice, and chatted. Never dawned on me she might actually have liked me. After she graduated one of my friends asked if I ever took her out? I said she was 2 years older than me? He said, "Stupid, she didn't know you were younger. She just new you were the new kid in school and had a crush on you. You were in a Seniors class, she thought you were the same age!" Win some, loose some.
Yeah... I had that happen twice... like 40-45 years after HS I found out from the women themselves! "Stupid" is a better word than "ignorant" in my case as thinking back on it I realized they were sending me messages... :omg: That's okay... I've got a terrific girlfriend now who is definitely a keeper!

Notice this on google maps, now I can check for wildfires 🔥.
View attachment 1044346

They found this shortcut for me too.

View attachment 1044347
I don't use the maps function so much while on an assignment, but my phone gets goofy with alerts sometimes when I'm on fires. I had trouble with turning them off last year on the little 1 million acre fire we had, kept going off with warnings to evacuate. :rolleyes:

Using directions on google maps is almost useless in those scenarios. Because the roads are shut down to the public, it tries to reroute me 1/2 across the state.

I got a report with no elaboration that there was a tree down on the rail trail. Turns out it was a huge oak whose roots broke off from the heavy winds during the storm a few days ago. It had two main leaders with a narrow crotch that failed on impact. It hit the ground hard... made a dent in the trail nearly a foot deep on the down slope side. When I saw what I was up against I called my cutting partner. He came over to help move things around to facilitate cutting and get stuff off the trail.

It wasn't easy to work with as much of the tree fractured on impact and pieces were embedded in the trail and/or shifted as I cut. I often needed a peavey to roll big sections to finish the cuts... With the shifting of pieces it was difficult to make "a" bucking cut... I often ended up with 2-3-4 cuts at a buck. It was hell on the chains as there was stone dust embedded in the tree.... It is a big job and we were running out of daylight. As such we punched a hole through the tree so the trail was open. We're going back with a truck and rigging to finish cutting it up and recover as much wood as possible for firewood. For scale, note that the leader I was standing by came up almost to my knees and I was wearing logging boots with tall heels.

I used my MS461 on this tree. The tree was nice enough to split big sections of itself when it fell. As a result, when those sections were bucked the pieces were much easier to move than the intact rounds and I didn't have to noodle them!

We have an on-line reporting tool for things like this so trail users can report problems. The problem with that is the users often cannot give very good location information and any descriptions of the conditions offered are often completely wrong! What happens is I'll go out alone expecting something simple and run into 6-7+ trees all tangled up, or I go out with my cutting partner expecting a big job and find a stupid sapling! It's always an adventure! 😉

RTOak1.gif

RTOak2.gif
RTOak3.gifRTOak4.gif

Back