Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bob kern

bob kern

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Well no saw action today but plenty of brownie points with the cook!! She's been wanting a rug loom. So out to the shop I went. Lots of drilling!!!!! About half done. Needs sanded, corners rounded , a dado cut where the pieces overlap and gluing in the pins top and bottom. IMG_20221227_232018086.jpg

mountainguyed67
users often cannot give very good location information and any descriptions of the conditions offered are often completely wrong! What happens is I'll go out alone expecting something simple and run into 6-7+ trees all tangled up, or I go out with my cutting partner expecting a big job and find a stupid sapling! It's always an adventure! 😉

On our first trip back on the river hiking trail after the summer, we went in with information from a fisherman friend of one of the volunteers. He said there were 4 trees down across the trail, I counted twelve and none were recent.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
I don't use the maps function so much while on an assignment, but my phone gets goofy with alerts sometimes when I'm on fires. I had trouble with turning them off last year on the little 1 million acre fire we had, kept going off with warnings to evacuate. :rolleyes:

Using directions on google maps is almost useless in those scenarios. Because the roads are shut down to the public, it tries to reroute me 1/2 across the state.
I imagine that would be a tough one for a program like that. I do find it amazing the things it gets right, also the things it gets wrong lol.
Here's one from a couple weeks ago, I was sitting at the dock :rolleyes: .
Screenshot_20221215-115507_Maps.jpg

This one was pretty funny, I screen shot it before heading thru the area not sure exactly what I was gonna find. Well the map was correct, there was a new road right where it said it was and everything on those blocks had been demolished, pretty funny looking though.

Screenshot_20221130-165139_Maps.jpg

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
I was just searching for a plow suitable for my loader last night. The loader bucket is 9’ 8” wide, so I’m thinking the plow should be 14 or 16 feet wide. I don’t know what angles plows are set at, or I could use a trigonometry calculator to figure plow size. The road our mountain place is on doesn’t get plowed, so I’m considering it for more winter access.
We ran 12 foot viking plows on the 624h derre and 938m cat. Had no issues covering the wheels when the plow was hard over. Had a 14 foot vee but it was hardly ever used.

Kodiak Kid

Kodiak Kid

Idiot with a "power saw"
Looks good to me.
I prefer the manual handle over using the winch, it's faster and it gives the operator a lot more precise control.
I think I may end up moving the mount back to the next cross member in the bottom of the frame. I was going to do that originally but I took poor measurements. In turn, I bought the wrong size U-bolt. I wasn't about to do the 100 mile round trip to the hardware store again, so I made it work.👍

As far as the controls. 🤔 You think letting go of the handle bar to grab a lever then letting go of the lever to grab the handle bar is faster then a control switch at the grip? Unless your plowing with one hand constantly on the plow lever and one hand constantly on the handle bar ? I don't see it.

mountainguyed67
We ran 12 foot viking plows on the 624h derre and 938m cat. Had no issues covering the wheels when the plow was hard over. Had a 14 foot vee but it was hardly ever used.

The 624H is 8.44 feet wide, mine is 8’ 11” wide, unless it barely cleared for you it won’t be a problem. That’s good, 12’ is easier to find.

singinwoodwackr
Well no saw action today but plenty of brownie points with the cook!! She's been wanting a rug loom. So out to the shop I went. Lots of drilling!!!!! About half done. Needs sanded, corners rounded , a dado cut where the pieces overlap and gluing in the pins top and bottom. View attachment 1044377
A looming project…