Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local guy. He bought it along with a bunch of misc parts for other saws. Could not get it to keep running.
So far it needs a fuel line and vent line/screw. I'll sonic tank the carb as I think it has some crud internally that just blowing out won't get. I had the same issue with one of the 200ts I got. It would sort of run with the low screw out 2 turns...OE carb. Disassembled, tanked it and reassembled...runs great.
He had cleaned it up some but it still needs some love. Even has a sprocket rather than the old spur 😀 P&C are perfect, rings look good. It had a fair amount of mix oil inside the muffler so another carb issue clue.
Not gonna pull the cyl as it looks too pretty inside...other than carbon.View attachment 1053520View attachment 1053522 Will strip the rest down and clean it up. All OE
What size bar should it get?View attachment 1053519
The 038 was a great saw! Some old school STIHL boys say "one of STIHL's best" Ive always wanted one to add to the collection of all the others I don't ever run! 🤣

She did propose banning them, along with burning gas for cooking! She also wants to go all electric for heat and cooking in NYC.

Thankfully her proposals don't all go through.

I don't smoke anything, but the hypocrisy of wanting to ban gas cooking stoves and menthol cigarettes while simultaneously legalizing marijuana is insane!

The Supreme court has been very wimpy on our 2nd amendment rights. They have even been silent on mass media restricting our 1st amendment rights based on our political leanings.

How is it legal to restrict the # of rounds you have in a gun in your own house to defend yourself when it is very likely the person breaking into your house will have more rounds in his/her gun? Our "rights" get eroded a little at a time!
I read about the proposal to ban all new gas stoves and I was glad we got a Viking stove last year. Thank goodness there was so much backlash on the gas stove bas that they backed off and said they were just thinking about it. This idea of everything going electric is bull. How do they plan to handle wild fires with battery powered saws? They continue to go after guns from all angles and they won't stop, but we won't stop and give in to them.

The 038 was a great saw! Some old school STIHL boys say "one of STIHL's best" Ive always wanted one to add to the collection of all the others I don't ever run! 🤣
this is supposed to be the 72cc version but I won’t know for sure until I can see the pt# on the cyl or pull it and measure the piston 🙄
I don’t have anything that’s 72 so will most likely try to restore it to as close to original as I can and add it to the saw rack.
if not an actual mag2 it will get cleaned up, repaired as needed and sold.
been going through the parts schematics and service manual to see what’s in store 😀

There's one down the road from me with your name on it, the wind took it out about 6 weeks ago. View attachment 1053557
A common site around here but not from wind. Lots of development that is turning old farms into housing. IMO it’s getting out of hand.
plenty of adds for free barn wood…several within a mile of me.

She did propose banning them, along with burning gas for cooking! She also wants to go all electric for heat and cooking in NYC.

Thankfully her proposals don't all go through.

I don't smoke anything, but the hypocrisy of wanting to ban gas cooking stoves and menthol cigarettes while simultaneously legalizing marijuana is insane!

The Supreme court has been very wimpy on our 2nd amendment rights. They have even been silent on mass media restricting our 1st amendment rights based on our political leanings.

How is it legal to restrict the # of rounds you have in a gun in your own house to defend yourself when it is very likely the person breaking into your house will have more rounds in his/her gun? Our "rights" get eroded a little at a time!
Its really depressing how blind many people are today!😞
When will we ever Unite again? When will a lot of people open their eyes and actually see what needs to change and what must change? Not what "they think should" change! 😡

A common site around here but not from wind. Lots of development that is turning old farms into housing. IMO it’s getting out of hand.
plenty of adds for free barn wood…several within a mile of me.
That's too bad, but makes good firewood the farmers say. Those old beams guys mill them down into some nice boards

this is supposed to be the 72cc version but I won’t know for sure until I can see the pt# on the cyl or pull it and measure the piston 🙄
I don’t have anything that’s 72 so will most likely try to restore it to as close to original as I can and add it to the saw rack.
if not an actual mag2 it will get cleaned up, repaired as needed and sold.
been going through the parts schematics and service manual to see what’s in store 😀
Are you sure the 72cc model is not the 038 Super?

KK, that is Matt's little M-77. He also has one (stainless w/ black stock) in 35 Whelen ... Very Rare!

Took both a Black Bear and Deer with it one year up on my property, and a nice 7 pt with it year before last.
Very nice, sounds like good hunting!

Not sure what you mean by little, but I thought it was a M77-22 myself. Just wasn't sure if it was a .22LR or a .22WMR. Action looks almost like a short A. Like maybe its a .222 or .223 or something.
Any way. I have an All-wether 77-22 myself in .22WMR. I absolutely love the rifle! Two thumbs up!👍👍
I Definitely wouldn't mind owning one in 35 Whelen!!! 🤣👍
IMG_20220912_163944768_HDR.jpg

That's too bad, but makes good firewood the farmers say. Those old beams guys mill them down into some nice boards
Much of it gets recycled into rustic furniture by local artisans and the larger ones get hauled away by a few companies that specialize in old barn wood used in fancy interior design. Fortunately most of it sees a second life.

Speaking of shooting, been working on my taxes all morning and needed a break. Grabbed my beloved Browning BL22 (in my profile pic) and went out and broke up some frozen dog turds off of the deck.

Came back in and grabbed my FN502 and ran a couple mags through it. I wasn't sure about this gun when I first got it, but have learned to really really like it, and its probably my most shot 22 pistol now.

View attachment 1053467
Maybe its just me but I'd rather be doing tax's than 'breaking frozen dog turds off the deck'.
Prehaps our resident tax professional MustangMike could try it and give us his professional opinion:surprised3:

Having young kids makes it a lot harder. I don't keep anything loaded within their reach. I firmly believe an unloaded defensive gun is worth about as much as a brick in a gunfight. (Nothing) but little hands can and will get into things they shouldn't even if they know they shouldn't. Not for lack of training and teaching them, they just arnt wired like adults are.
I can't remember the aftermath but as a youngster I was at a friends house and he wanted to show me his fathers Luger. He was fiddling with it and a shot fired off. Put a good sized divot at our feet in the tiled concrete floor, then ricocheted into the finished ceiling. Not funny but I'm sitting here giggling thinking about the measures he must have taken to hide the evidence which was right in front of dad's gun case.

Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.
If you go on FB Marketplace there are always lots of ads for free trees and free wood. Sometimes it is already cut up. Personally I don't have to go out and look for wood because I have a woodlot on our property that is always needing trees removed. Another option is the town you live in. You should be able to get trees dropped off from tree removals in your town. Most towns do not have a place to store removed trees. Usually any outside tree companies doing local work will be happy to unload a truck in town than to carry it off to who knows where.

Well I got this for on the winch mount last night after work. Got the top plate welded on, and a few gussets to the bottom. I need to add something to help stabilize the rear of the plate, but real-estate is at a premium on their trailer. If I run kickers front it gets in the way of the jack handle. Which with how hard the jack is welded fast I don't want to even attempt to cut it loose and change it. Just too much of a pain. Thinking of doing some sort of rear brace down toward the bottom of the uprights. Something like in the pic bellow. Just it will all be inline with the uprights. Supposed to rain all day so I won't get to mess with it till tomorrow or the next day.

Attachments

• 20230130_171506.jpg
    20230130_171506.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back