Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to our NY Governor, all of our guns should be locked away in a safe ... so that you are ready to defend yourself!

And if your guns are stolen (by the burglar they would not keep in jail) it is your fault!

She has also proposed banning all wood burning stoves! That will go over real well in upstate NY! I think she is afraid someone may mistake her for a witch!
She conducts herself as if she's in junior high school... the petty revenge she carried out in the face of SCOTUS shooting down the "shall issue" parts of the handgun permitting system was met with 7th grader behavior, and unconstitutional, even worse, regulations. I wished she'd go back to that depressed mess otherwise known as Buffalo...

I skip multiple pages every day. Too many topics. Too many pages.

Philbert
I try to keep up but if I fell behind I just skip to the last page and go from there. If anyone had quoted me directly I get a notification for it so I don’t have to hunt every page.

And just because they don't do it, does that mean that they shouldn't do it?

SR
Don’t mean anything . I chose to wear a hard hat in the woods. I know a lot of people that don’t . But the motorcycle helmet isn’t a choice here have to have one .

Don’t mean anything . I chose to wear a hard hat in the woods. I know a lot of people that don’t . But the motorcycle helmet isn’t a choice here have to have one .
I don't have to wear one where I live, but I do, and I did replace my old one.

You don't need to spend 400 on a good helmet.

SR

The jury is out on when the expiry date of a hard hat is. I did a check for regular hard hats and most said it goes by date of manufacture and not date of issue or first use. The Arborist type web sites such as the one Philbert posted state hard hat expiry date is tied to date of first use. I would assume these are more expensive hard hats. I just happened to get a new one for work last week and it is Dated 2021. I've also included a picture of my Dad's hard hat dated from 1988 to 1993 with a sticker on it saying "This cap will crack if sprayed with insect repellent or paint". Doesn't sound very safe to me.
https://www.storm-procurement.com/news/checking-your-hard-hat-expiry-date

Attachments

• 20230130_154720.jpg
    20230130_154720.jpg
    916 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230130_154320.jpg
    20230130_154320.jpg
    798.4 KB · Views: 0
Another 10mm
16rd capacity...
View attachment 1052978

Cimarron "bad boy" 10mm/38-40
View attachment 1052979
RIA builds a simple, nice, reliable and affordable 1911. I have one myself!👍 A mil spec A-1 chambered in 9mm. Its a sweeeeeeet smooooth low recoil pistola! Very fun to fire! Very accurate too, and its a $500 1911 that I can actually afford to feed ammo through.🤣🤣

Putting paint or stickers on hard hats / helmets was discouraged for a few reasons:

- some adhesives would soften or damage some plastics;

- a sticker may cover a defect (crack, soft spot, dull or abraded area, etc.;

- some workers might get so attached and possessive of their decorated / trophy hard hat that they would be reluctant to replace it, even if it really needed it.

Philbert

RIA builds a simple, nice, reliable and affordable 1911. I have one myself!👍 A mil spec A-1 chambered in 9mm. Its a sweeeeeeet smooooth low recoil pistola! Very fun to fire! Very accurate too, and its a $500 1911 that I can actually afford to feed ammo through.🤣🤣
My first two years of competitive shooting I ran a RAI single stack 45. Put a TON of rounds through that gun and even won a few matches with it. Really good guns for the money.

For me I carry my Glock21 but for home it's a Mossberg 500 12 gauge 00buck.
I was going through my emails and found some cheap .22 ammo at a place called True Shot. Found out they can ship to Massachusetts if you give them a copy of your LTC. Never knew anyone sold to Mass. Now I am on a waiting list for some cheap .308 Springfield or7.62-51 .
Have you looked into these two different types of ammo. Both inexpensive, but the NATO ammunition is considerably cheaper but also less consistent as far as accuracy over the AE .308 WIN. Both are FMJ, but the 308 WIN 150gr is a BT. The 149gr NATO load is just a standard FMJ spitzer. Both loads are manufactured by Federal. 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20230130_001755994_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230130_001755994_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230130_001708906_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230130_001708906_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
My first two years of competitive shooting I ran a RAI single stack 45. Put a TON of rounds through that gun and even won a few matches with it. Really good guns for the money.
Yes! I agree. They really are!
Im not all that good with a pistol, but Im slowly getting better.
I'm more of a knock the wings off a fly on a dogs back at 600yds long range sender kind of guy.😉
I do love to send it!

I'm more of a knock the wings off a fly on a dogs back at 600yds long range sender kind of guy.😉
I do love to send it!
So, tell me what you think of my 1902 Savage 1899, with Fecker 10X. I don't know much about dogs, fleas, and ticks. But if you want me to stick one a deer's nose hole at 250, you have to pick right or left?
Ne7MPkq.jpg

x

I do love to send it!
I'm actually a pretty good well rounded shooter. Not the best long range shot, but out to 800 yards or so I am decent. Im actually above average with a pistol, and can pretty consistently hit what I'm shooting at with a revolver out to about 250 yards using the front sight hold over method. In close range combat stuff, I'm more accurate then I am speedy, but it always worked out in competition.

With a shot gun, I'm the best out of my group of buddies I shoot skeet with, but thats not saying much. Not much use for a shotgun here where I'm at.

Speaking of shooting, been working on my taxes all morning and needed a break. Grabbed my beloved Browning BL22 (in my profile pic) and went out and broke up some frozen dog turds off of the deck.

Came back in and grabbed my FN502 and ran a couple mags through it. I wasn't sure about this gun when I first got it, but have learned to really really like it, and its probably my most shot 22 pistol now.

348169B5-CB92-4D1C-A012-088D12F788FD.jpeg

Its not cast Iron, but it IS smoking the Turkey breasts over a small bit of Hickory and Cherry I SCROUNGED off my ranch last year. I ate the tenderloins the night before, fresh outta the bird I got at 5 pm. By the time I got the fire going, it had gotten dark, but me and the Pooger enjoyed the tenders. The Smoked breasts the next day were incredibly well smoked and only took a few minutes to put away, mif you know what I mean...

View attachment 1053372
My cousin is a fanatic Turkey hunter. He always talks about how good his Turkey is. At deer camp my guys get there 2-3 days early. My cousin and his guys roll in just before dark, the day before the opener. We have dinner at my place on Sunday, and his place on Monday. Couple years ago he told us he had fresh turkey for dinner. He roasted it like a Butter Ball. It was the most horrible thing I ever tried to eat. It was over cooked, dried out, tough as shoe leather, and just taisted bad. I', not blaming the Turkey, but I'm not going to shoot one till I find out how to cook it proper. Several friends say they cut it in strips or cubes and deep fry it. This is my kitchen window at deer camp in WV.

8qPLWpk.jpg

My cousin is a fanatic Turkey hunter. He always talks about how good his Turkey is. At deer camp my guys get there 2-3 days early. My cousin and his guys roll in just before dark, the day before the opener. We have dinner at my place on Sunday, and his place on Monday. Couple years ago he told us he had fresh turkey for dinner. He roasted it like a Butter Ball. It was the most horrible thing I ever tried to eat. It was over cooked, dried out, tough as shoe leather, and just taisted bad. I', not blaming the Turkey, but I'm not going to shoot one till I find out how to cook it proper. Several friends say they cut it in strips or cubes and deep fry it. This is my kitchen window at deer camp in WV.

8qPLWpk.jpg
Me thinks roasting a whole wild turkey is silly. The farm raised and processed are probably WAY better for roasting. I'm not even interested in smoking a whole one TBH, too much work plucking and prepping. A nice wild Tom ought to feed 4-6 people from the breast alone. I get pretty lucky to take their head off at close range and I dont even have to worry about pellets. Though if I feel the need I have a handheld Garret metal detector for airports, night clubs, log milling, etc. I really dont cook on a stove indoors, let alone use a oven. I either grill certain things at home on gas outside, or smoke Mullet, Turkey, Chicken (all different cuts)in a smoker, or over wood outside on the ground on a 4x4' grill, and there are several smaller racks that get moved around.

Back