Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a steel blade?
It's the type of steel. AR plate in general refers to a wear/abrasion resistant steel. There are several grades. 400, 450 hardox, and 500 are common. Normal mild steel is typically an A36 and in this application it would wear down really fast.
And yeas rubber and carbide are pretty expensive compared to normal cut edges. The carbide especially so.
Hurry we need to keep posting :laugh:

This is the second load I had to drop an ash tree to get to the maple. It was very dead View attachment 1056365View attachment 1056366View attachment 1056367☠️

Ok never seen this before my last post I mention maple and a maple leaf was inserted. Now I said dead and the skull and crossbones is inserted .
Is just on my phone or you guys seeing it ?
It's a setting that came along with an update. I got my wife to turn it off.

did u ever resolve the seat cover issues?
Still waiting for the company I’ve called three times . They are seeing if and when they can get me a couple of yards of the right color . It’s a very unusual color and they don’t sell them made up anymore . So I’ll have to have my upholstery guy make up new pleats . It’s been a nightmare

Stop scrounging now... taking all my free wood. 😉😂 just kidding. Its actually gotten harder to get free wood (around here) recently. Whenever fuel goes up everyone with a fireplace or old wood stove starts burning again. Or at least says they are. Getting in with a local logger, tree/landscaping company works for some.
it rains firewood down here 🌧️around my neighborhood. oak mostly. so much, so often, i just have to pass on the bigger scrounges. ez no split is more ideal for me since i don't have to heat with wood. :)heart: my digital therm!) even with a burning camp fire thru these hot southern summers, i never run out. no shortage of kindling, too! for my 2-cents worth, i think kindling is just as important as a stack of firewood. rolled paper and 4" thick stix never lite well for me! :rolleyes: never short of kindling, as it drops from my many pines trees... but i do run into not enuff dry kindling at times! 💩:dumb2: i keep dry cedar stix kindling whacked with a camp hatchet:chop:. great stuff! so, i had no dry pine kindling last nite. been meaning to fill a bucket. so did. went outside 9 pm and packed it. brought it in and will keep it full. then i had an idea... 💡 so will use a crub scrounged wicker shelf that is not really earning its pay... as a kindling dump. sorta like in aviation, the fuel dump! besides i need to do something with all the pine drop...

last nite's kindling scrounge... chilly, coat, sandals and a 🔦

last nite - should be enuff for 3 fires or so. handful and some cedar... pine is the k. fuel, cedar FTW! :numberone:
P1010011.JPGP1010012.JPG

Still waiting for the company I’ve called three times . They are seeing if and when they can get me a couple of yards of the right color . It’s a very unusual color and they don’t sell them made up anymore . So I’ll have to have my upholstery guy make up new pleats . It’s been a nightmare
hope u get it straighted out soon! pun intended... lol....you mite like this... SIL a certified mechancial engineer, passed first sitting!, wrote other day. has found an old 40's HUGE rusty 2-dr sedan, 6-stick!... not running, no paint! and wanted my opinion on saving it for a Dad/boys project and as a Sunday Driver for nice Sunday afternoons in California. :surprised3: :rolleyes: has: no room, no tools! very successful ME, though. said he thot he could get the info he might need for the project online and at utube!!! :wtf:
:givebeer:

i said i can think of 100 reasons not to... and -0- to!

well, u get the idea...
1675960368396.png

Nose is waaaay to short.
right! i posted it up on 'post ur political jokes here!' thread... and asked:

hope this is not too political!!

Fox covered it well with what Gov Sanders said...

it is not an issue of R vs D's...

it is an issue of normal people and crazie peoples... :dizzy:

:yes: :drinkingcoffee:

You did notice that I put cardboard down to protect the carpeting from the oil!
That’s a must with sthil! Did I mention I hate sthil flippy caps, lol.
I own some sthil saws and there are things I like about them but that’s not one of them.

hope u get it straighted out soon! pun intended... lol....you mite like this... SIL a certified mechancial engineer, passed first sitting!, wrote other day. has found an old 40's HUGE rusty 2-dr sedan, 6-stick!... not running, no paint! and wanted my opinion on saving it for a Dad/boys project and as a Sunday Driver for nice Sunday afternoons in California. :surprised3: :rolleyes: has: no room, no tools! very successful ME, though. said he thot he could get the info he might need for the project online and at utube!!! :wtf:
:givebeer:

i said i can think of 100 reasons not to... and -0- to!

well, u get the idea...
View attachment 1056402
Ya that would be a definite no. If it was Duesenburg or Shelby it would be worth it but not for a 10 kcar all done

Ya that would be a definite no. If it was Duesenburg or Shelby it would be worth it but not for a 10 kcar all done
LOL :lol: ha, so u say!!! i told him it would prob cost around $5K just to get started... tools, etc and supplies! i mean, one 1,001 item master tool box online going for $4999.95! and he would need a case of BP Blaster... lol... and forget the 12-point wrenches and sockets... most likely most will call for 6-points. and to be prepared: one nut, one bolt... alone, can become an afternoon project... and that does not include what is rusted on the chassis down under! lol...

i thot of you all at SS396 camp when i first read his post to me...

btw, his wife is not too excited about the idea! :laughing:

I own some sthil saws and there are things I like about them but that’s not one of them.
I actually like flippy caps better than screw caps (they leak less and don't need tools), but I don't know why they designed them to only drop once every 360 degrees! If I were to design them, they would drop every 1/3 turn.

Also, with the smaller saw oil caps (like the 261) you have to be real careful not to fill the oil too much or you can't get the darn thing on! That is a real PITA!

Got my carpets for my 68 . This is what I like to see . Spent a little more but View attachment 1056388View attachment 1056387
Took a screen shot of that. Gonna see if they make anything for crew cab ford's. My 92 is going to need new carpet and finding stuff for a crew cab is next to impossible.

it rains firewood down here 🌧️around my neighborhood. oak mostly. so much, so often, i just have to pass on the bigger scrounges. ez no split is more ideal for me since i don't have to heat with wood. :)heart: my digital therm!) even with a burning camp fire thru these hot southern summers, i never run out. no shortage of kindling, too! for my 2-cents worth, i think kindling is just as important as a stack of firewood. rolled paper and 4" thick stix never lite well for me! :rolleyes: never short of kindling, as it drops from my many pines trees... but i do run into not enuff dry kindling at times! 💩:dumb2: i keep dry cedar stix kindling whacked with a camp hatchet:chop:. great stuff! so, i had no dry pine kindling last nite. been meaning to fill a bucket. so did. went outside 9 pm and packed it. brought it in and will keep it full. then i had an idea... 💡 so will use a crub scrounged wicker shelf that is not really earning its pay... as a kindling dump. sorta like in aviation, the fuel dump! besides i need to do something with all the pine drop...

last nite's kindling scrounge... chilly, coat, sandals and a 🔦

last nite - should be enuff for 3 fires or so. handful and some cedar... pine is the k. fuel, cedar FTW! :numberone:
View attachment 1056400View attachment 1056401
Normally I light a fire when it gets cold and don't let it go out till it's warm again, but not this winter. Wife said she wanted kindling, so I made a tone of it out of pine and hvbw. Enough for the next 20 years imo.

About how I feel about flippy caps... stihl's suck. Like my 400 though.

You could buy a nice one for 10k . But people get blinded to the reality of how much it costs to rebuild a car ..... I didnt say restore just rebuild it to get it running and driving
There's an understatement. Even a runner takes tons of money.

Normally I light a fire when it gets cold and don't let it go out till it's warm again, but not this winter. Wife said she wanted kindling, so I made a tone of it out of pine and hvbw. Enough for the next 20 years imo.
2 things i hate to run out of.... dry kindling and cold :givebeer:

:cool:

Back