Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe, no doubt about it! :lol: (guess u r saying i am wrong!?)
:sucks:
Put a sheet of paper behind it and take the picture, bet it doesn't look a lot better. A purge bulb shouldn't look that dark, but rather clear, unless youre running 16:1(even then it looks dark). I'll eat crow if I have to, I've taken worse bets šŸ˜†.

Put a sheet of paper behind it and take the picture, bet it doesn't look a lot better. A purge bulb shouldn't look that dark, but rather clear, unless youre running 16:1(even then it looks dark). I'll eat crow if I have to, I've taken worse bets šŸ˜†.
haha, i made a bet with the neighbor... he as a bunch of POS blue yard bags in front of his house. city wont take them!! been there 3 weeks now. so i called and offered a solution. he said, maybe this time they will pick it up... i said... tell u what make u a bet

they don't pick them up, and u do a big steak dinner with lots of good wine for me and mine... and if they do pick them up, i will take you and yours out to steak dinner anywhere u want here in the Big City! and he said,

no! don't think i will take ur bet!
(still there! :nofunny:)

naw, best i don't take ur bet chipper! don't want to embarrass you! :ices_rofl:

more so more like the color of Canadian Joe's wood pile... don't ask me now, how i know.... šŸ¤©

How did it pull that heavy car around? I raced 2300's in the early 90's
By the time I got it, front struts were played out. Made for great weight transfer

That little 2.3 Turbo was not too much power for a 16yo but enough to have fun

Me and the carā€¦..
That car fit me great, It was like a pair of old boots, I could slide that thing sideways through turns and do all sorts of stuff I donā€™t dare do today. That and my 85 mustang GT I had at 17 were my two favorite cars growing up

But my favorite story was that turbo coupe

Local boy that pumped gas at the ā€œhang outā€ had a 80ā€™s G body with a 327 that he thought was hot stuff

He was running his jaw about ford vs chebby.

My best buddy told me as we were pulling out after getting gas to ā€œleave him something to remember you byā€

I proceeded to drop the clutch as I made a right out of the lot, when the tail was just about max to the left I grabbed 2nd. That sent the rear to the right. At apex of the rear to the right, I grab third. Just about as I get her straightened out, my right hand turn is coming up so I slide her through that turn.

Two days later, I see my dad getting gas there. I pull in to chat with him. The gas station attendant comes over to me very excitedly telling me that was the ā€œsickest $h1tā€ he had scene. My dad gave me the eye and asked if the marks are from me and my car. I just bowed my head, told my new pal Iā€™d talk to him tomorrow

Now don't laugh....I had a 84 Mercury Capri. No they were not "girly cars"..well maybe a wee bit? It was the Mercury version of a Mustang. It had a 3.8. I put it end over end and then into a side roll with me getting ejected. Somehow I beat the car to the ground and it landed on me. Needless to say she was totaled. It then got a 84 Cougar but it was a 3.8 also. After that several Rangers with 2300's. Then I got my wonderful wife a 94 Cougar but it was a 3.8 also. After that it was a Windstar (ironically a 3.8 again) then several Dodge vans.

As for the 2300 I asked as I always wondered how they actually performed in that heavy body. In the late 1980's my brother built a Ranger with 44's and a 4cyl. He did a pretty sweet job and had feature articles in 4 wheel and Off Road as well as Four Wheeler magazine. It pulled the truck around Ok. When he went to a 302 I took the 2300 and put it in an open wheel modified stock car. In the early 90's we had a class here to use up all the heavier "Freidan" chassis. It was a ton of fun but of course with Esslinger selling all the high end 2300 parts it got to be high dollar. A bare aluminum head was running $1850 and wen ran in a $250-$300 claim class. I had a 500 Holley on it. I searched out a head from a turbo coupe because they had the "D" ports. I ended up selling the engine to a guy to use in his Ranger as a stadium jump tough truck. Back in the days of TNN (The Nashville Network) on Friday nights they would broadcast all types of racing events. I watched Sonny running it inside Veterans Auditorium in Des Moines Iowa. As we watched it on TV I told my wife "hey that's my engine" He won the first round. Then in the second round he blew it. My wife looked at me and said "doesn't look to good to me" Yeah that was bad. I loved those engines and you could do some wild things to them.
My pops had a 87 turbo coupe, first engine I ever really worked on. We put the SVO roller cam in it.

I loved watching the ā€œtough trucksā€ on TNN!!

AM parts have allowed us to bring lots of good saws back to life that would have been unaffordable with OEM parts. For me, I mostly work on 044/440, 046/460 and 066/660 saws. Meteor pistons work as good as OEM and are often half the price, AM tank holders and recoils are far less than half of OEM, you just need to know what OEM parts to use with them and how to make them reliable. And, all the plastic covers work and are cheap (with some modifications here and there). I have also had good results with AM coils, but mixed results with AM carbs. I rebuild the OEM carbs whenever possible, and even bought some new OEM when I find an OK price for my higer "performance" builds.

OEM controls work better on AM tank holders, and OEM pull ropes work better on AM recoils, plus I always check them out an spray them with some silicon.

I acquired many of my saws by fixing other saws. You get 9 broken saws, fix 5 and give them back to original owner who lets you keep the rest. Fix and sell 3 to more than cover the cost of all the parts, fix and keep the old 066 for yourself!!!
Anything involving the covered cost of an 066 that one gets to keep for themselves. Is a wise policy if you ask me! šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ šŸ˜‰

Ahhhh...now I can rest. My eyes and brain hurt from reading this thread quickly. I started reading the posts from the beginning of December. When did the thread title change? Was there a kerfuffle about how we didn't stay on topic? I wasn't keeping up since last May or so. Anyways, good to see all the usual suspects and welcome to the newbies. Off to put some time on the MS400.
Welcome back stranger! šŸ‘

We were kerfuffled more than once by moderators. Somebody with more brains than me asked to have the name change to include basically everything and we have been kerfuffle free ever since. At ease, carry on, smoke em if u got em. Oh and glad ur back.
for sure WA has it rite! the economy, the P/R of it all, and even this thread... these time be a changin'...
any thing and every thing now ok here! well except... officially...no P/R! šŸ¤©

and other stuff covers other stuff, too...

even in the winter, now it is always summer time on the SF and other stuff thread
1676143117981.png

Husky or stihl flippy caps, or just hate the stihl flippys.
I have no experience with the Husky flippy caps. I do have a love hate relationship with the Stihl flippys. The right leg of my chaps and my right boot are waterproofed due to the oil cap not being latched.:confused: I now double check. I have zero problems with the 026 threaded caps. No leaks and when they're on they're on.
I don't remember if I responded on the site or in a PM, but I protested their oversight and suggested a name change (since the overwhelming majority of us obviously support it) and to my surprise they incorporated the name change of the thread. I believe there were several other who voiced similar concerns.

Why prohibit what everyone wants to do if there is nothing really offensive being posted? The purpose of the site is to attract users for the purpose of advertising.
Good idea with the name change. I do remember a certain moderator seemed to have a target on this thread.
Welcome back stranger! šŸ‘
Thank you sir! Keep up with the pics of Kodiak! Someday I'll make it up there. Gotta get my boys outta the house first!

Speaking of my boys, here's a pic of our youngest watching the local wildlife this morning.
20230211_071624.jpg

I gotta say, I think Bill G would have fit right in with our Family. 1980ā€™s Fords were a Staple in this familyā€™s stable

My Grandma had a pretty cool one too, LTD with the High Output 5.0. It was a ā€œbabyā€ Ltd not the big full framed boat. Picture a 4door mustang

But she was used to 4 door hot rods. She had a full framed land yacht with a built up 429 that old Mustang Mike used to abuse in his youth šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Nice haul.
Cool you have a friend to help get the wood to your place, and make the payments on the equipment/car :).
It belongs to the owner of the property, I got the wood if I helped removing the trees, he cleared some of his land for a horse meadow. There was a lot of cherry and birch that I already hauled home, this was the last work but I didn't have my trailer available. Very nice of him to help me indeed.
We got stuck though, we drove into a meadow that was way wetter than we thought. 2 ton car + a trailer of about the same, they more or less sank... And that Cayenne has road tires on it.
Luckily a friend of his lives nearby, he came over with his 4x4 and pulled the car and trailer out with no effort.
I have a meadow to 'repair' tomorrow... Pretty deep holes/tracks.

I gotta say, I think Bill G would have fit right in with our Family. 1980ā€™s Fords were a Staple in this familyā€™s stable

My Grandma had a pretty cool one too, LTD with the High Output 5.0. It was a ā€œbabyā€ Ltd not the big full framed boat. Picture a 4door mustang

But she was used to 4 door hot rods. She had a full framed land yacht with a built up 429 that old Mustang Mike used to abuse in his youth šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
I know the LTD "2" well. Anyone need a banana?

1676145507823.png

Latest posts

Back