Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually when working, I can't be bothered taking pictures, in most cases I don't even have my smartphone (annoying thing...) on me.
A few hours ago I thought about taking a few piccies though. Today's scrounge, birch, spruce and a bit of pine; spruce was dead and a bit more rotten than I hoped for.
The plan was for me to put the trees down, however a guy with a digger already did, and I'm glad for that, well for the spruce more specifically. They had been damaged on a few occasions by machinery and the broken limbs had sort of re-connected, even with other trees. Some had firmly 'grown into' the trunks, kinda weird I thought, but definitely dangerous stuff.

The trailer and car are not mine... Unfortunatily :)

IMG_20230211_161101.jpgIMG_20230211_162605.jpg

OK, so you and @Cowboy254 just need to answer a few basic questions:
  1. Tracked skidsteer or tractor?
  2. 22LR or 50 cal?
  3. Pine or black locust?
  4. Grass is green/sky is blue or other?
That should pretty much get you up to date so we know where you stand on these important topics.

KThxBye! :hi:
1-20230211_090946.jpg
2 - I prefer the middle ground, .308 Win.
3 - Again, middle ground, ash because I have too much.
4 - Depends on the day!

Glad we have that straightened out!

We were kerfuffled more than once by moderators. Somebody with more brains than me asked to have the name change to include basically everything and we have been kerfuffle free ever since. At ease, carry on, smoke em if u got em. Oh and glad ur back.
I see...thanks for the info.

Glad to be back!

How did the 85 T bird run with the 4 banger 2300?
The 2.3 ltr 5 speed was faster than the 302 auto, and got better gas mileage ... I averaged 26 MPG with it. It was a good car for it's time.

I bought the extended warranty on in (only time I ever did that), so when the turbo needed to be replaced, I was covered (I kept all my maintenance records). Guys at Ford were laughing like crazy, said I was the only one that kept good enough records to beat the warranty company.

The T-Birds had more room than the Mustangs and I had 2 girls, so it worked as family cars.

Usually when working, I can't be bothered taking pictures, in most cases I don't even have my smartphone (annoying thing...) on me.
A few hours ago I thought about taking a few piccies though. Today's scrounge, birch, spruce and a bit of pine; spruce was dead and a bit more rotten than I hoped for.
The plan was for me to put the trees down, however a guy with a digger already did, and I'm glad for that, well for the spruce more specifically. They had been damaged on a few occasions by machinery and the broken limbs had sort of re-connected, even with other trees. Some had firmly 'grown into' the trunks, kinda weird I thought, but definitely dangerous stuff.

The trailer and car are not mine... Unfortunatily :)

View attachment 1056959View attachment 1056960
Nice haul.
Cool you have a friend to help get the wood to your place, and make the payments on the equipment/car :).

1-View attachment 1056962
2 - I prefer the middle ground, .308 Win.
3 - Again, middle ground, ash because I have too much.
4 - Depends on the day!

Glad we have that straightened out!
Husky or stihl flippy caps, or just hate the stihl flippys.

How did it pull that heavy car around? I raced 2300's in the early 90's
The 85 T-Bird was not that heavy. I think it was about 3,200 lbs.

I always thought it would be great to put the turbo 2.3 w/5speed in the Pinto Wagon (which only weighted 2,600 lbs). Would have been a real nice sleeper!

one for chipper ~

ripped rite thru that pecan...
View attachment 1056940

(ps: sorry it is not on the kitchen kounter! that is above my pay grade!)
It's not a 2511 ;).
Also, change the fuel system components, that fuel system indicator (is purge bulb) looks terrible 😳.
I don't think I've ever burned pecan, does it smell nice, guys smoke with it right?

I see...thanks for the info.

Glad to be back!
I don't remember if I responded on the site or in a PM, but I protested their oversight and suggested a name change (since the overwhelming majority of us obviously support it) and to my surprise they incorporated the name change of the thread. I believe there were several others who voiced similar concerns.

Why prohibit what everyone wants to do if there is nothing really offensive being posted? The purpose of the site is to attract users for the purpose of advertising.

It's not a 2511 ;).
Also, change the fuel system components, that fuel system indicator (is purge bulb) looks terrible 😳.
I don't think I've ever burned pecan, does it smell nice, guys smoke with it right?
hi chipper! i always take ur advice with a grain of salt!!! lol, opps, i mean as gospel truth!! 🤩

but in this case, u see... it is a clear bulb and merely reflecting the black case. now if u want black, in case... i got some moar oil recently changed.

pecan is a good wood, similar to alder. pecan makes good ribs, brisket, chicken, etc. even fish, bit I prefer alder for my salmon. i don't smoke cod or CF, i make fish n chips out of them...

The 2.3 ltr 5 speed was faster than the 302 auto, and got better gas mileage ... I averaged 26 MPG with it. It was a good car for it's time.

I bought the extended warranty on in (only time I ever did that), so when the turbo needed to be replaced, I was covered (I kept all my maintenance records). Guys at Ford were laughing like crazy, said I was the only one that kept good enough records to beat the warranty company.

The T-Birds had more room than the Mustangs and I had 2 girls, so it worked as family cars.
Now don't laugh....I had a 84 Mercury Capri. No they were not "girly cars"..well maybe a wee bit? It was the Mercury version of a Mustang. It had a 3.8. I put it end over end and then into a side roll with me getting ejected. Somehow I beat the car to the ground and it landed on me. Needless to say she was totaled. It then got a 84 Cougar but it was a 3.8 also. After that several Rangers with 2300's. Then I got my wonderful wife a 94 Cougar but it was a 3.8 also. After that it was a Windstar (ironically a 3.8 again) then several Dodge vans.

As for the 2300 I asked as I always wondered how they actually performed in that heavy body. In the late 1980's my brother built a Ranger with 44's and a 4cyl. He did a pretty sweet job and had feature articles in 4 wheel and Off Road as well as Four Wheeler magazine. It pulled the truck around Ok. When he went to a 302 I took the 2300 and put it in an open wheel modified stock car. In the early 90's we had a class here to use up all the heavier "Freidan" chassis. It was a ton of fun but of course with Esslinger selling all the high end 2300 parts it got to be high dollar. A bare aluminum head was running $1850 and wen ran in a $250-$300 claim class. I had a 500 Holley on it. I searched out a head from a turbo coupe because they had the "D" ports. I ended up selling the engine to a guy to use in his Ranger as a stadium jump tough truck. Back in the days of TNN (The Nashville Network) on Friday nights they would broadcast all types of racing events. I watched Sonny running it inside Veterans Auditorium in Des Moines Iowa. As we watched it on TV I told my wife "hey that's my engine" He won the first round. Then in the second round he blew it. My wife looked at me and said "doesn't look to good to me" Yeah that was bad. I loved those engines and you could do some wild things to them.

hi chipper! i always take ur advice with a grain of salt!!! lol, opps, i mean as gospel truth!! 🤩

but in this case, u see... it is a clear bulb and merely reflecting the black case. now if u want black, in case... i got some moar oil recently changed.

pecan is a good wood, similar to alder. pecan makes good ribs, brisket, chicken, etc. even fish, bit I prefer alder for my salmon. i don't smoke cod or CF, i make fish n chips out of them..
A little salt goes a long way :sweet:.
That being said, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Also it's not a 2511 ;).

I really need one of those. No need to put a chain that's off the saw on the grinder if it is in fair condition.
Really look forward to getting a nice shop set up in the barn for saw/bar/chain maintenance.
Yea , Chipper scrubbed up a few chains, it works great, I especially like the end sharpening feature for doing Square chain . 👍

The 85 T-Bird was not that heavy. I think it was about 3,200 lbs.

I always thought it would be great to put the turbo 2.3 w/5speed in the Pinto Wagon (which only weighted 2,600 lbs). Would have been a real nice sleeper!
My open wheel was real heavy at 2200. A man by the name of Delmar Gade was building chassis that he said were 1900 or so but I heard from others they were lighter. I know his daughter Lisa spun in-between 1 and 2 during the season championship in 1992 and I hit her. It did pretty good damage.

Back